Best Place To Live in DR

twenty20

Jun 10, 2005
Can Some body please tell me where the best place to live in the country,in your opinion based on safest and funnest and good wheather. Thank you

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
twenty20 said:
Can Some body please tell me where the best place to live in the country,in your opinion based on safest and funnest and good wheather. Thank you

Can't really recommend the best place to live in the DR, but going by what's posted in a separate thread here, El Javillar, Puerto Plata is definitely a no-no.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
The best place is something very individual. It is where you feel at home, where you have friends and a surrounding where you feel safe.
For me that is Puerto Plata, for Scott that is Sosua, for AZB it is Santiago etc etc etc.
For you it might be somewhere else.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If there were a "best place", we would all be living there.
There's only one way to find your best place.
You have to travel around and see what grabs you the most, then look at the practical aspects, and decide from there.
As nice as it is to live next to the ocean with a beautiful view, everything corrodes.
As nice as it may be to be far away from your closest neighbour, security becomes an issue.
So you land up making a plus & a minus column for the places you like, and then you can make a truly informed decision.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
Rocky said:
If there were a "best place", we would all be living there.

Great answer!

lol

I think what he is REALLY looking for are the reasons why people live where they live.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
To me the question within the question is---are you talking about where is the best place to live year round, or just a few months a year. I f the intention is 12 months a year, my vote goes to someplace in the mountains, definately not on the coast. The obvious reason is the climate. Why suffer 4-5 months a year when you can enjoy everyday in a temperate climate? So,where in the moutains? There are countless beautiful mountain pueblos in the DR which are never mentioned on this board-- I don't want to give up my secrets but with a little common scense, a map and one month to explore any one can find them. In the meantime, start with a place everyone knows--Jarabacoa. Its better now than it was a few years ago as far as resturants and things to do, good climate, a few gringos but not too many, and----hippo might be your part-time neighbor(LOL) K

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
That's depends which part of the island you'd like and your wealth. There are some private community very expensive and exclusive.

twenty20

Jun 10, 2005
I don't know, I just want to know some safe places because I've heard some stories and I'm wondering if there is any towns that arent that harsh

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
twenty20 said:
I don't know, I just want to know some safe places because I've heard some stories and I'm wondering if there is any towns that arent that harsh
There are good guys & bad guys everywhere, and other than a few rough barrios (suburbs) in certain cities, you will be safe if you make your place safe.
It's a little bit like the wild,wild west, here, and you have to set up your own security perimeter.
Of course, if you are very wealthy, you can simply move into a well guarded community and not have to worry about details.
If not, small details like knowing your neighbours, having some good dogs, never flaunting your wealth, being careful about who you allow into your house, etc, can make all the difference in how safe you will be & feel.
I live in downtown Sosua and feel quite safe, but somebody 100 yards from me, may be very exposed and inviting crime.