Exotic fruits

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
hi all

was wondering what are some of the most exotic fruits some of you have eaten in DR. the word exotic is probably going to make more sense to those that have never lived here before.

I remember eating these fruits called "caimitos" "carambolas" "uvas de playa" "granadillo" "groncellas" among others, that I have not been able to find in the US for the most part. I am sure that some of you have your stories about eating fruits you've never seen before while in DR.

lets hear them

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Not your original question, but as it is season for uvas de playa right now, we made ice cream sorbet out of it...turned out really good!!!!

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
donrael said:
hi all

was wondering what are some of the most exotic fruits some of you have eaten in DR. the word exotic is probably going to make more sense to those that have never lived here before.

I remember eating these fruits called "caimitos" "carambolas" "uvas de playa" "granadillo" "groncellas" among others, that I have not been able to find in the US for the most part. I am sure that some of you have your stories about eating fruits you've never seen before while in DR.

lets hear them

My favorite are: Zapotes, mamones, n?speros, granadillos and guan?banas. If you live in Santo Domingo you can easily find them in Feria ganadera ( a kind of farmer?s market)

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
Limoncillos, small green , comparable to lychee
Don't know where you can buy them, I always got them from people who gave them to me.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
yasmin said:
Limoncillos, small green , comparable to lychee
Don't know where you can buy them, I always got them from people who gave them to me.

In the summer you can buy them in Washington Heights NYC. They are also called Quenepa in El Seibo, DR and Puerto Rico and Mamonsillo by the Colombians.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
I dont know what a noni is nor a níspero; you know even in the very DR the same fruit may have different names.

carina, you should sell those sorbes.

I dont know if other countries have our uvas de playa. maybe, i mean I think the only requirement is a beach lol.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Noni was introduced to DR recently, it is also exotic for dominicans too. 15 years ago you couldn't find this.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
There's a comemrcial going round here in the US about this drink called "noni plus", I think it comes from that fruit.

I hate those comemrcial because like everything else that's marketed by hispanics as "natural remedy", they claim it cures all these health problems.
cancer, liver problems, diabetes, ...hair lost..and yes even bad breath.

lol

I mean come on!

at least the american pharmas only claim one or two solutions per medicine. us latinos want to kill 10 birds with one drink.

those people should come out with a beer that cures hangover as you drink it. NOW THAT WOULD SELL!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Eddyx said:
Noni was introduced to DR recently, it is also exotic for dominicans too. 15 years ago you couldn't find this.

Noni has been around for at least two centuries in the DR, however, over time its cultivation was abandoned. Now it grows wild and campesinos feed it to the pigs (it's also called 'piña de puerco'). It is used in folk medicine, for prostate and other ailments.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Mirador said:
Noni has been around for at least two centuries in the DR, however, over time its cultivation was abandoned. Now it grows wild and campesinos feed it to the pigs (it's also called 'pi?a de puerco'). It is used in folk medicine, for prostate and other ailments.

Where did you get that info?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Eddyx said:
Where did you get that info?

It grows wild in the land of my ancestors, El Aguelico, Azua. My neighbors have fed it to the pigs. Ive seen it for sale, for medicinal purposes, along with batata de burro, barba de ma?z and many other folk medicine vegetables, at the market in Azua (el Mercado de Azua). I have a hunch it was introduced in the DR by Corsican merchants, around the middle of the XVIII century.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Yo soy te Azua y nunca había visto esa fruta. I've never seen it silvester either. I think you are talking about another thing.

I don't know this place, El Aguelico, Azua. First time in my live I hear that name.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Eddyx said:
Yo soy te Azua y nunca había visto esa fruta. I've never seen it silvester either. I think you are talking about another thing. I don't know this place, El Aguelico, Azua. First time in my live I hear that name.

Azuano, and don't know where El Aguelico is? It's about five kilometers nortwest of town, on the road to Peralta. By the way, the original land had an area of about 1000 hectares before it was split up among relatives.

Here's a photo I took of a noni pedler on the beach (Palenque).

Also, noni is part of my folk medicine pharmacopeia.

nonipedler9ei.jpg

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Mirador said:
Azuano, and don't know where El Aguelico is? It's about five kilometers nortwest of town, on the road to Peralta. By the way, the original land had an area of about 1000 hectares before it was split up among relatives.

El aguelico... I think that name is the name of your family's farm. I know all little towns on the road to Peralta and I don't know that place. Today you can easily see noni, but it is since more or less 1995. The Noni is original from French Polynesia.

Read this page.

http://www.noni-webportal.com/

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
- see also this article I researched and wrote a couple of years ago. All I could establish was that it did grow in the DR, in some cases quite off the beaten track, but when and how it was introduced from Asia is not clear.