condolences for a death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I have a Dominican friend whose mother just passed away this evening. When I see him tomorrow I would like to be able to express my condolences to him correctly without butchering the language too much. Could someone please help me in the proper words for this situation? Thank you.

Rick

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
It depends on how close is to you the person you are giving condolences. For a close friend I would give a long hug and say "lo siento mucho", for the rest of the family "Mis condolencias".

I have heard in this country "Siento mucho tu pérdida", I personally don't like it, besides, it is difficult to pronounce without tripping in the intent.

When giving condolences, latin people use a short hug and kiss (again depending on how close is the person), or a caring handshake. Be prepared to be introduced to the rest of the family during the wake.

Sometimes it is better not to say a word. Just be there showing respect towards the family.

Jess

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you very much Jess as I have no experience in this even though I've lived here 9 years. We aren't (real close).

Rick

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
In the Dominican Republic they also use :

Te acompaño a tus sentimientos ( I feel with you )

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
I believe it is more correct to say :

Te acompaño en tus sentimientos ...I'm sure someone can correct this if I don't use the correct preposition

Sory

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
no kiss

andrea9k said:
When giving condolences, latin people use a short hug and kiss (again depending on how close is the person), or a caring handshake.

well, maybe its me, but I avoi the kiss and make the hug a long and sincere one. the kiss for me should be reserved for other ocassions. I dont agree latin people do the kiss when showing condolences. but maybe its just me.

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
hugoke01 said:
I believe it is more correct to say :

Te acompa?o en tus sentimientos ...I'm sure someone can correct this if I don't use the correct preposition

Sory

wait, isnt it "que te acompa?en mis sentimientos"?

lol

I never knew how that one went, so I always avoided saying it; just in case it was "Te acompa?o en tus sentimientos"

correct me someone

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
wait, isnt it "que te acompa?en mis sentimientos"? in English: My feelings are with you.

"Te acompa?o en tus sentimientos" in English: I join you in your feelings.

mkohn

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
I have a Dominican friend whose mother just passed away this evening. When I see him tomorrow I would like to be able to express my condolences to him correctly without butchering the language too much. Could someone please help me in the proper words for this situation? Thank you. Rick

Condolences are less in the expression of correct words than in conveying through gestures the appropriate sentiment. I suggest you practice in front of a mirror a resigned, pained grimace with which to accompany an improvised mumbling about how much the deceased was loved and will be missed...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you Mirador for your help in this matter but as this is a friend of mine that I respect and as I lost my Mother a few years back there is no requirement to practice. I just wanted to have the right words as anyone losing a parent, under normal cirumstances, feels much pain. Once again thank you and all of you that replied to my question.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.