FINALLY! I want a PITBULL!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
I have finally moved into a HOUSE with a YARD, no longer an apartment with no space. :tired:

Now, I've been looking for a staffy for all three years that I've been here and not found one :ermm: so, I'm ready to go with a pitbull. Please spare me the "no, no, don't do it" line because I've had 'em before and I'll have 'em again.

Does anybody know of any recent litters or any on the way? I'd like to get a pup if at all possible.

Appreciate any info.

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. Santiago area would be convenient.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
OK, I wont say "no no no, don't do it" but am just curious, why a pitbull?

Larry

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Larry said:
OK, I wont say "no no no, don't do it" but am just curious, why a pitbull?

Larry

Because I know very little about other breeds. My father bread (or breeded lol) terriers and I always had terriers, there's a lot of variation in that breed alone but still, I know a lot about handling and raising these dogs and I feel comfortable with them. I did have a lab once, but he almost got shot for eating a sheep on the neighbouring farmers land. :surprised:

Stay well,
Amy

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
amy2761 said:
Because I know very little about other breeds. My father bread (or breeded lol) terriers and I always had terriers, there's a lot of variation in that breed alone but still, I know a lot about handling and raising these dogs and I feel comfortable with them. I did have a lab once, but he almost got shot for eating a sheep on the neighbouring farmers land. :surprised:

Stay well,
Amy
just make sure the dog has "papers", or possibly if you can see the mother and father. I've seen a lot of "boot-leg pitbulls" in NYC, they all look the same as pups.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Amy,

why don't you consider a Boxer, they are the most loving, playfull, cuddly dogs. And beleive me, no Dominican will approach your house; my girl in Santo Domingo had people jumping on cars once when she got loose! I would never trust a pittbull, it is in their blood to attack!

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
juanita said:
why don't you consider a Boxer, they are the most loving, playfull, cuddly dogs. And beleive me, no Dominican will approach your house

I have! But my experience is not with boxers and I'm not getting the dog for Dominicans ... it'll be an added bonus to have a 'loud-mouthed friend' around the house but this pet will be purely pleasure. I live in a very safe neighbourhood, next door to the general and amoungst a group of lawyers - they do all the policing and watch-dogging I need!

Ricardo900 said:
just make sure the dog has "papers", or possibly if you can see the mother and father. I've seen a lot of "boot-leg pitbulls" in NYC, they all look the same as pups.

True - I insist on seeing the mom and dad with the pups and I'm hoping that by doing this through the board I don't get the wool pulled over my eyes ... I'll let you all know! ;)

ricktoronto said:
Come up to Ontario and get one since we've outlawed the mean tempered mutts.

Thanks - as always, helpful and insightful. :tired:

HB - thanks ... on both counts ;)

Stay well,
Amy

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Haven't found anything yet, just wanted to let everybody know that if you know of a recent/upcoming litter that I'm still interested ....

Stay well,
Amy

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
leromero said:
I'm not that much into a pet in the house type person, but this article on CNN kind of brings home the point on Pit Bulls. These dogs were originally bred to be fighters, from what I can recall.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/06/pit.bulls.ap/index.html

Even the dog's owner couldn't stop the attack.

Thanks for that, although I remember specifically requesting that people not come back with "no, no, don't do it!!" posts. :tired:

Now, back to the thread ....

Stay well,
Amy

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Leromero: For certain people it is just a waste of time pointing out the obvious. All I know is that if a neighbor of mine had a pitbull, he'd be getting the "Salami con tres pacitos" treatment relatively quickly... The dog I mean (even though the owner probably deserves it too)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
suarezn said:
Leromero: For certain people it is just a waste of time pointing out the obvious. All I know is that if a neighbor of mine had a pitbull, he'd be getting the "Salami con tres pacitos" treatment relatively quickly... The dog I mean (even though the owner probably deserves it too)

You're a horrible mean person who has no respect. There was no reason to say something so nasty and disrespectful on this thread and much less to me, you're obviously wanting to call attention to yourself because you could have just as easily sent that messege as a PM.

My dog won't eat your stinkin salami but it'll bite your friggin hand off.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
amy2761 said:
My dog won't eat your stinkin salami but it'll bite your friggin hand off.

LMAO...Will this be an american dog? Will he only eat steak?

On a more serious note, I strongly feel that an animal such as a Pitbull is a serious unpredictable threat. Believe it or not I do love dogs (I have two in my house in The DR), but a pitbull is not meant to be a pet (it is friggin' fighting dog) and IMO has no place in a residential area AND since I have kids I wouldn't allow one next to me. If that entails the "Tres Pacitos" treatment, then that's what I would do.

...and please don't come to me with the "I know how to handle them...Mine will be different" argument (Haven't we heard that one in the Sankie thread before?). I digress...

Let give you a scenario...If you have a pitbull and it gets loose and it mauls one of my kids...What do you think I should do?

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
suarezn said:
LMAO...Will this be an american dog? Will he only eat steak?

On a more serious note, I strongly feel that an animal such as a Pitbull is a serious unpredictable threat. Believe it or not I do love dogs (I have two in my house in The DR), but a pitbull is not meant to be a pet (it is friggin' fighting dog) and IMO has no place in a residential area AND since I have kids I wouldn't allow one next to me. If that entails the "Tres Pacitos" treatment, then that's what I would do.

...and please don't come to me with the "I know how to handle them...Mine will be different" argument (Haven't we heard that one in the Sankie thread before?). I digress...

Let give you a scenario...If you have a pitbull and it gets loose and it mauls one of my kids...What do you think I should do?

Shoot it. That's not the point of this thread.

Stay well,
Amy

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I'm going a bit off topic sorry about this.

I'm a dogtrainer myself. I don't like Pitbulls, amstafs and other dogs of that nature, because i can't "read" them. But they aren't the most dangerous dogs around. according to ensurancecompanies statistics based on accidents versus registered dogs the "dangerous" dogs like Pits etc aren't in the top ten. The top 3 is

Labrador
Golden retriever
Cocker spaniel

The reason is that they are so "cute" but they bite aswell. More interaction means more possibilities for an accident. So are you going to give every lab, golden or cocker the same salamy treatment?

On a personal note: My dogs are anti-salamy trained but i can assure you that if someone tries to poison my dog(s) he won't be walking again. Don't forget you leave a trail going up to the dog... and a trained dog can easely follow that trail and a simple command "search and bite" is enough.

Greetings

Johan

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Thanks Johan!

heldengebroed said:
I'm going a bit off topic sorry about this.

I'm a dogtrainer myself. I don't like Pitbulls, amstafs and other dogs of that nature, because i can't "read" them. But they aren't the most dangerous dogs around. according to ensurancecompanies statistics based on accidents versus registered dogs the "dangerous" dogs like Pits etc aren't in the top ten. The top 3 is

Labrador
Golden retriever
Cocker spaniel

The reason is that they are so "cute" but they bite aswell. More interaction means more possibilities for an accident. So are you going to give every lab, golden or cocker the same salamy treatment?

On a personal note: My dogs are anti-salamy trained but i can assure you that if someone tries to poison my dog(s) he won't be walking again. Don't forget you leave a trail going up to the dog... and a trained dog can easely follow that trail and a simple command "search and bite" is enough.

Greetings

Johan

Thanks for the informative post, I had no idea of the statistics.

My experience with the terriers that I've had (all of them have been purely pets and not guard-trained) is that they make great companions, full of energy and always wanting to play but that they're protective enough to make some noise when someone unfamiliar comes close to their space.

I spent many nights alone in my house in South Africa as my ex would travel for extended periods of time. One of the tricks I taught Brutis (an English Staffy) was that when I made a scratchy motion with my hand that he was to bark and bark and bark as loud and as much as he could .... comes in handy when you hear a strange sound late at night, or if you're taking a walk and see someone sketchy approaching you. Little scratchy sign and he'd go off like a rocket :D Scared the hell out of everyone ...... :bandit:

Looks like I'll have to take some extra precautions and do a little training here ... kinda like raising a child .... "Now, love, don't ever eat anything that a stranger has given to you".

Stay well,
Amy

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I'd get a boxer to scare Dominicans although pitts aren't that bad. My friend has a cute Staffordshire terrier, Carmen. All you do with boxers is get them a squeaky toy and they go nuts and have all the fun in the world......"gimme squeaky, gimme squeaky" is what's probably running thru their heads. LOL....