customer service survey

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
I would like to get an honest answer to this.
this country is so used to back customer service that I doubt that if someone came w/ a "breakthrough" idea to WOW customers, that it would make a difference.

am I right on this?

I mean, they would probably call your business weird if you dont try to take advantage, talk bad to them, and completely make it a bad experience.

I wonder if it is worth the effort.

let me hear what say yous

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
One of many improvements needed... pero

Although your idea sounds innovative and I am sure many others have thought about improving customer service in the DR which is practically non existent. Customer service in the DR is not a universal concept and my experience with 'good' customer service has always been on an individual basis with establishments and those are the places that get my business all the time. Be it a hotel, a store, an individual etc.

Your post made me smile because people don't even follow basic rules of the road in the DR, basic rules period and you hope for good customer service. Many establishments are looking for a way to swindle the customer. In short improving customer service is not a priority imo but sure let's hear the ideas.

LDG.

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I think as you, improvements are needed in many, many areas.
But I also see some are trying, and they might not go full way, but still something is happening.

Most important, of course, is the relation on individual basis.

But still, home delivery of groceries works fine. I have even called, without doing the groceries myself, always worked.

Tienda Jimenez have a new policy, if the cashier forgets to give you your reciept you get all your purchases free. You can also, with your reciept give back or change within 24 hours.

Verizon ( I know - I live here ) have opened several new offices in the city where you can buy items and pay your bill. No more lines at the main office.
You can also pay by bank now, as with Edenorte.

Banking online works fine for transcations, payments etc.

Above just a few examples, I know it is a long way, but things change, slowly and step by step in some areas of customer service.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I have had great service and bad service in the Dominican Republic.
I give very generous tips for the good and small or no tip for the bad.
If it is really bad I will just leave and not return.
If it is simply slow serivce, my tolerance is higher in the Dominican Republic because everything moves at a slower pace.

One thing that really p!sses me off is when I get a beer that is half slush and they act like this is normal or no big deal.
Places with 2 tier pricing p!ss me off as well.
The last time I was at La Canita and got a half slush beer and a b!tch who tried to gouge the stupid gringo really got my blood boiling!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
YOur question

I think the issue of customer service improvements needs to have some parameters.

So, who is your market? What kind of customer service improvement?

For expample: if your target market is tourists then a customer service improvement will be well worth it.

If your target is low income locals, then maybe it won't we even noticed other then an acknowledgement that something wierd is going on....LOL

If your target is upscale locals, then again, it might be worth it.

I for one will return to a place that gives me better customer service - and I am willing to pay a little more for it!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
planner said:
I think the issue of customer service improvements needs to have some parameters.

So, who is your market? What kind of customer service improvement?

For expample: if your target market is tourists then a customer service improvement will be well worth it.

If your target is low income locals, then maybe it won't we even noticed other then an acknowledgement that something wierd is going on....LOL

I for one will return to a place that gives me better customer service - and I am willing to pay a little more for it!

So you mean that customer service is an issue only for people with money, and not in general in a country?
That it can basically be divided to poor and rich?

Most people here, use general services, no matter of income, such as supermarket, tiendas, shops, electricity, phone... and in my opinion we are all entitled to the same service, suggestable improved.

As in any country, of course a customer service based on being approachable, friendly, to listen, is easier in a boutique rather than at a countrywide huge company. As in a small shop or restaurant, a service depends on you or a small amount of people, rather than thousands of people with different levels of knowhow in this area.

This does not however, in my opinion, apply for dividing people in to groups of poor vv rich. That is taking not one step back in values, but many.
A customer is always a customer.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
NO Carina that was not my point. My point was spending money or time on customer service improvements can be analysed using your intended market!

I agree, everyone has the right to good service. Everyone spends money and uses various services to some degree! And good service should not just be directed at the wealthier clients.

That being said, if you had to make a business decision regarding service, you better take your intended market into consideration.

In one way a customer is always a customer! But in others, they are not!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005

This is what you wrote.
And the companies that have developed and trying to work with some kind of customer service here on the island, have customers of all levels of income.
So of course it is worth it even when your clients are not upscaled locals.

And in many, many cases the service companies as well as the companies selling products are the same, no matter of income.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
While there is worth in it Carina at all levels, you MUST balance the effort and cost in both monetary outlay, time, training etc with the expected outcome.

It is not the same in all cases, in all industries and for all markets. It is very very different depending on your intended market. That is my point.

I am not interested in a discussion about whether everyone should be treated the same or deserves good customer service. I didn't think the OP was asking about that.

He was asking would it even be noticed. My answer is it will but it might not be worth the effort.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I think the OP's question is with regards to improved or recognizable customer service in the service industry which is where it counts the most. Happy customers guarantee repeat customers and in the DR that's where it's lacking. However, going back to my original post there must be an overall change in mentality that's why I referenced the way people drive. It's all about consideration, courtesy etc. the basics. You have to start from the ground up for the concept to cross over into other day to day structures IMO.

LDG.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
donrael said:
I would like to get an honest answer to this.
this country is so used to back customer service that I doubt that if someone came w/ a "breakthrough" idea to WOW customers, that it would make a difference.

am I right on this?

I mean, they would probably call your business weird if you dont try to take advantage, talk bad to them, and completely make it a bad experience.

I wonder if it is worth the effort.

let me hear what say yous
Donrael,

In case you have not noticed, ;) money talks, walks, sings, and makes dreams come true!

Without money, there is absolutely nothing in modern society!

A business that gains repeat business and gets preference by most people will be doing much better than the competition.

In this case, a business that offers exceptional customer service will do well if the average person values such service. Such value is demonstrated by sales volume and $$$$$.

The more $$$$$ that type of business model makes, the less $$$$ the other models make.

If the other models want to survive, they will have to change their way of doing business, in other words, improve on customer service.

However, people here are very suspicious of new businesses, especially new businesses that claim to not be cheating the customer. However, if the business practices shows that such business cares as much about their customer's satisfaction as they do about the customer's wallet, it becomes obvious.

-NAL

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Increased customer service doesn't have to mean additional cost to the employer. Take a check-out girl at the supermercado for example. By allowing her to sit on a stool and pass items under the scanner one-handed and bull-sh*t with the cashier next to her causes a decrease in production. By requiring her to stand and use two hands to handle the items, and not talk to her partner yields increased production, increased customer service, all with no additional cost to the employer since the manager monitoring her is there anyway. When is the last time you saw a cashier in an American supermarket sitting. This is only one example.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Increased customer service doesn't have to mean additional cost to the employer. Take a check-out girl at the supermercado for example. By allowing her to sit on a stool and pass items under the scanner one-handed and bull-sh*t with the cashier next to her causes a decrease in production. By requiring her to stand and use two hands to handle the items, and not talk to her partner yields increased production, increased customer service, all with no additional cost to the employer since the manager monitoring her is there anyway. When is the last time you saw a cashier in an American supermarket sitting. This is only one example.

And you are going to impose these rules and pay the cashiers how much more to abide by them? Without a raise, I am sure the cashiers would either quit and get a job at another grocery store or simply ignore the rules and wait for you to fire them.

Larry

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
HOWMAR, I agree. And I do believe Lesley makes a point when she writes this is not about money and costs vv income balace. This is about the society and the mentality of people as well as in the social culture, and many/most changes towards an encreased customer services can be done at more or less no cost.
Even such as, the examples I mentioned in my first post.
But it is complicated, as many employees are not motivated, due to long hours, low payment, hard life outside work and on and on.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Larry said:
And you are going to impose these rules and pay the cashiers how much more to abide by them? Without a raise, I am sure the cashiers would either quit and get a job at another grocery store or simply ignore the rules and wait for you to fire them.

Larry

No I am not going to pay more. First, remember you are in a country with an unemployment rate of probably over 20%. Probably much higher for woman. As a good employer you make it known that increased production yields increased profits and therefore increased bonification (that's the profit sharing required by law). I doubt anybody will quit. As far as a job action, this is an allowable grounds for termination without liquidation. Terminate one, see how many want to follow.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HOWMAR said:
As far as a job action, this is an allowable grounds for termination without liquidation. Terminate one, see how many want to follow.

Is it really? So, if you order a cashier not to talk to her friend at the next register and she does, you simply fire her for that and she has no recourse? How do you prove that she was talking? Do you set up a camera? Then she will say she was simply asking the other girl for a price or for change or something else job related. I think trying to implement and enforce these new rules would cause you more aggravation that they would be worth.

Larry

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Larry said:
Is it really? So, if you order a cashier not to talk to her friend at the next register and she does, you simply fire her for that and she has no recourse? How do you prove that she was talking? Do you set up a camera? Then she will say she was simply asking the other girl for a price or for change or something else job related. I think trying to implement and enforce these new rules would cause you more aggravation that they would be worth.

Larry
In your 6 weeks here you have indeed embraced the worst of Dominican culture and work ethic. When we change a work rule, we make it clear it is for the benefit of the company and ultimately the benefit of the employee. Yes, we have goof-offs who want to be fired with liquidation. But remember, for an unskilled worker, without a recommendation letter from his previous employer, his job prospects are nil. As nobody in our industry will hire a previuos employee of ours without a letter of recommendation, I am sure it is the same among supermercados, etc.
If you look at the Labor Code, dismissal for just cause can include "ineptitude, lack of adaptation, refusal to perform work assigned to him, problems in understanding or geting along with his work companions, absence without authorization or permission.......

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
carina said:
HOWMAR, I agree. And I do believe Lesley makes a point when she writes this is not about money and costs vv income balace. This is about the society and the mentality of people as well as in the social culture, and many/most changes towards an encreased customer services can be done at more or less no cost.
Even such as, the examples I mentioned in my first post.
But it is complicated, as many employees are not motivated, due to long hours, low payment, hard life outside work and on and on.
In my opinion,

The problem with many managers here is that they don't take into account employee satisfaction and as a consequence, customer service is dismal, generally.

Even though higher pay would probably motivate employees to do their job better, it will increase cost on the employer and that cost will be passed to the consumer, not a good thing.

However, how often does an employee gets recognized for being his/her birthday?

How often does managers here in this country say "thank you" or starts asking with a "please"?

How often does a manager smiles to his employees?

Being sincere and nice to people goes a long way, trust me when I say that most managers are not like this.

You can also increase production by making employees feel proud of their job and their company.

A manager can accomplish such thing by combating boredom by using special assignments, recognition, rewards, activities, or other treatments to pump things up and add some fun and excitement to the workplace.

A manager who reminds his employees how much he appreciate thems (afterall, without employees there is no business) truly goes a long way.

Saying something nice but sincere about everyone always help. Giving positive feedback before success, not after and recognizing sustained effort, etc.

There is plenty that can be done to increase productivity, make employees happier, and maintain a good level of customer service without increasing one's cost by much, if anything.

These are things that work, regardless what the person is going through in his/her personal life (with few exceptions) and/or his/her habits and unproductive cultural traits.

Most managers here don't know how to be managers because they let the power issue get to their head (ie. I'm the boss and the employee must do what I say, period) attitude.

-NAL

BTW, for the managers reading this, get into the habit of preparing a "joke of the day" for your employees. Try it, the results will be noticeable, especially when coupled with what I have presented here. You will notice a change in the general attitude of your employees and a drop in firings and disatisfaction.

Last edited: