After living here 6 weeks......

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Things I miss about the United States and things I do not miss...

I miss:
-Having cable TV with a lot of English speaking channels
-sane driving
-certain foods
-common courtesy
-general cleanliness (ex. some public bathrooms)

I do not miss:
-American women (at all...huge factor)
-Policital correctness (I watch these people on CNN now and smile to myself...thank God they are so far away)
-expensive prices (in general)
-cold weather
-stress
-monotony and boredom of American life
-rat race
-structure

Other comments/observations:

After 6 weeks I find that at the moment, it is cheaper to live here than I anticipated which is a tremendous plus. Although I find certain things like driving, customer service, common courtesy (saying please and thank you, making WAY too much noise, etc.) annoying, those things are dwarfed by the overall freindliness and genuine attitudes of the people I cross paths with. After 6 weeks, I do not want to get on a plane to go back "home" to visit. If it wasn't for my family and a few responsibilities I left behind, I dont know when I would go back to visit. It would surely be a long time. This country has so many wonderful assets, the climate, the geography, the people, and it has so many intangibles that you just can't put your finger on. It is a good place to be :).

Larry

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hey Larry, great post. Sometimes people just need to hear the good stuff too.

After 25 months here, I have no inclination to go back either! I know how you feel.

See you soon.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
HOWMAR said:
After 6 weeks.....that's great.
Let us know how you feel in 6 months.

Haha...a little premature huh?

How long have you been living in POP Howmar? Why dont you give us your list?

Larry

Last edited:

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
The Good Ol' Life

I came to the DR on a work assignment for 'at most' two years. I just completed my fourth year living in Santo Domingo:)

This place is not for everyone, but those that truly call it 'home' would agree with what you wrote.

Mark

wildcurls1972

Oct 6, 2005
Finally.... something positive

It's good to hear something positive about living in DR, makes me want to move there even faster then what anticipate on moving.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Larry said:

I miss:
-sane driving
-certain foods
-common courtesy

I do not miss:
-Policital correctness (I watch these people on CNN now and smile to myself...thank God they are so far away)
-cold weather
-stress
-rat race
-structure

After 6 weeks I find that at the moment, it is cheaper to live here than I anticipated which is a tremendous plus. Although I find certain things like driving, customer service, common courtesy (saying please and thank you, making WAY too much noise, etc.) annoying, those things are dwarfed by the overall freindliness and genuine attitudes of the people I cross paths with. After 6 weeks, I do not want to get on a plane to go back "home" to visit. If it wasn't for my family and a few responsibilities I left behind, I dont know when I would go back to visit. It would surely be a long time. This country has so many wonderful assets, the climate, the geography, the people, and it has so many intangibles that you just can't put your finger on. It is a good place to be :).

Larry
Only 6 weeks and the Dominican spirit has captured you already...

Political correctness aside, Columbus was right!

You can never understand why Columbus was so happy and enthusiastic about this island, until you come here and experience it yourself.

Paradise in its most simple form...

-NAL

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I agree it is great to hear some good stories and experiences!!

Larry it was refreshing to hear how your are enjoying living in the DR!!
Keep on enjoying it!! :)

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
Same story here,a little over three months and loving itliving in puerto plata.
The climate and the nature,the mountains and the smiles on peoples faces.
I do also miss certain foods but i adjust and look for alternatives.Love the fresh fruit here from the mercado with which you can make wonderfull juices.
it is a real adventure and everyday is new.have been very busy starting our tour and haven`t really had the time to go to the most beautifull places hidden in nature here.
but me,my son and mom and dad are very happy here and would not think of going back to belgium .
We are determened to make a life for ourselves here in this beautifull country.

sabrina and family

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Good Larry to hear you enjoy your new life... so no more chocolate with marzipan for me then?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Nal0whs said:
Only 6 weeks and the Dominican spirit has captured you already...

Political correctness aside, Columbus was right!

You can never understand why Columbus was so happy and enthusiastic about this island, until you come here and experience it yourself.

Paradise in its most simple form...

-NAL

I think Larry was born to be a Dominican!:classic:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Chirimoya said:
The way his Spanish is going, he's going to sound like one in no time!;)

Oh well...Mango Larry is to be a memory only....;)
( as the chocolates he brought...:cry: )

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
After read all that you have posted I feel so good being Dominican and at the same time realize that the life is so ironic, you are so happy to be here and tones of Dominican wanting get out of here (including me), but definitily if some day I get out of here I will come back to pass my last days here.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hey Larry,

Glad you're enjoying your new life. I'm sure it didn't take you 6 weeks to realize that some people 'get it' and others don't. ;)

Stay well,
Amy

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Congratulations Larry

I envy you for so many reasons. You have worked very hard to realize your goals. Best of luck on your adventure.

After being back home for 1 week, I miss:

Dominican women
Very cold beer
Fresh fruits and juices
Quipes
Sunshine
The sounds and smells
Working on my Spanish with native speakers

Again, best of luck.

Chuckuindy

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
mother goose

Larry said:

I miss:
-sane driving
-certain foods
-common courtesy

I do not miss:
-cold weather
-stress
-rat race
-structure

Larry

Keep enjoying...you are right ...It's a great country! Just keep a tight grip on you bank account, the Dominicans have more stories than "Mother Goose" when it comes to extracting money from foreigners!

L

LarrySpencer

Moving to the DR

Well, I've lived in the Dominican Republic on several occassions for approximately 6 weeks at a time and from one Larry to another I have to say that I agree with you. Even though the area I stay is one of the poorest, the dominican spirit is just as alive there.

And now I really look forward to my final move there in December!