In NYC: You can save a lot of money in food by eating the Dominican staple.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Many of you might have asked yourself how do Dominicans make ends meet in NYC or anywhere else in the US. Well, let me tell you by eating platanos, yuca, eggs, rice and drinking malta, you save a lot. For instance, you can purchase,

-10 platanos for $1, (sometimes there are grand opening special for 15 to 25 platanos for dollar.) that is food for ten people. This price is even cheaper than in the DR.
-3 lbs of yuca for $1.
-1 dz egg for $1. It goes with the platanos and yuca.
-1 gallon of corn oil (Mazola or Wesson) $2.99 with a purchase of $30 to $50 worth of groceries.
-20 lbs of fancy long grained rice (Carolina or Canilla) $2.99 with a purchase of $30 to $50 worth of groceries.
-Malta (Vitarroz or Goya) 4/$1.
-Guandules en latas 2 to 3 for $1. Same with a 1 lb of dry red beans.

There are others items in the Dominican staple that is dirt cheap in a Dominican centralized area of the US.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I have always marvelled at how platanos are as cheap if not cheaper around here (NJ/NYC) as compared to DR.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Chris_NJ said:
I have always marvelled at how platanos are as cheap if not cheaper around here (NJ/NYC) as compared to DR.

How about feeding ten people with only $2 dollars. One for the platanos and one for the eggs. You can't beat that.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
Stodgord said:
How about feeding ten people with only $2 dollars. One for the platanos and one for the eggs. You can't beat that.

Actually you can beat that - if you go the supermarket near the first of the month you will see all different kinds of people loading up shopping carts full of food and paying like like $6.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Stodgord said:
Many of you might have asked yourself how do Dominicans make ends meet in NYC or anywhere else in the US. Well, let me tell you by eating platanos, yuca, eggs, rice and drinking malta, you save a lot. For instance, you can purchase,

-10 platanos for $1, (sometimes there are grand opening special for 15 to 25 platanos for dollar.) that is food for ten people. This price is even cheaper than in the DR.
-3 lbs of yuca for $1.
-1 gallon of corn oil (Mazola or Wesson) $2.99 with a purchase of $30 to $50 worth of groceries.
-20 lbs of fancy long grained rice (Carolina or Canilla) $2.99 with a purchase of $30 to $50 worth of groceries.

There are others items in the Dominican staple that is dirt cheap in a Dominican centralized area of the US.

they don't do that to save $$ or to make ends meet. They do that b/c that's part of their culture. Mexicans and central americans eat tortillas (corn flour omelettes) not to save money.. they eat b/c that's part of their culture. All of those things mentioned are cheap,, why? b/c there's lots of competition where there's lots of dominicans.

Last edited:

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
Lucky dominicans in NYC!
in Belgium: last week I paid 4,00? for 6 platanos! (more or less 25pesos for 1 platano!)
and guandules : we can only dream about it, you can't find them here!

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
Stodgord said:

-3 lbs of yuca for $1.

$6.00 in a dominican restaurant in nearby jersey city...including drink...will buy me a GREAT dominican meal..which fills me up. rice and beans..pernil..mmmmmmmmmm.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
paddy said:
$6.00 in a dominican restaurant in nearby jersey city...including drink...will buy me a GREAT dominican meal..which fills me up. rice and beans..pernil..mmmmmmmmmm.

I know there are tons in Jersey City, but which one do you to? I live near Journal Square so go or have gone to most in the area from time to time.