Best fare from NYC to POP or other DR airport (peak season)?

Babe

Oct 6, 2005
I guess I'm not sure what I should be paying, but of course am trying to get the best airfare - is under $500 possible? My dates are pretty flexible as long as I'm there for xmas & ny day. I had picked 12/24 - 1/2, as those are low peak season travel days.
If anyone knows of any deals coming up pls let me know...Thks much

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Escott said:
LOW PEAK SEASON? Bwahahahahaha

DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO!!! hahahahahahahahahahaha

Low PEAK season - YEAH RIGHT!!!

I just paid $763 RT from 12/24 - 1/8
JFK - STI on Delta

If you book now and leave on the 25th you'll pay about 250 less but this won't work for you since you have to be there for Christmas eve (like me).

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
El Tigre said:
DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO!!! hahahahahahahahahahaha

Low PEAK season - YEAH RIGHT!!!

I just paid $763 RT from 12/24 - 1/8
JFK - STI on Delta

If you book now and leave on the 25th you'll pay about 250 less but this won't work for you since you have to be there for Christmas eve (like me).
Delta rip you off, I am seeing JFK - STI starting at $476 to $568(non-stop) on those dates.
http://www.expedia.com/

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Thanks

Ricardo900 said:
Delta rip you off, I am seeing JFK - STI starting at $476 to $568(non-stop) on those dates.
http://www.expedia.com/

Hey Ricardo thanks for the information. I knew of those prices. I saw them when booking my travel. However, I no longer fly AA and the prices you are quoting are on AA. As long as Delta flies to STI I will never fly AA EVER EVER EVERRRRRRRR not even if AA's ticket is $500 cheaper.

That's my prerogative ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Babe said:
I guess I'm not sure what I should be paying, but of course am trying to get the best airfare - is under $500 possible? My dates are pretty flexible as long as I'm there for xmas & ny day. I had picked 12/24 - 1/2, as those are low peak season travel days.
December 24th and January 2nd are probably the most peak days. Since the holidays fall on a Sunday, most workers and students are off on January 2nd. If your schedule is flexible choose dates after January 2nd and before December 15th. To save even more money, fly into Santiago, there is more flights and hence more competition into this airport. Santiago is about 1.5 hours from POP. It will costs about $75US via cab, or $15US via cab/bus to get from STI to POP.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Babe said:

ok.. i will be your travel agent for a day.. lol... but traveling to POP will be more expensive than traveling to Santiago STI... is it possible for you to travel to Santiago and then head out to Pto Plata? Either someone can pick you up at Santiago or you can take Caribe Tours bus from Santiago to Pto Plata or Sosua.

Here is what i found in A'A:
1) cheapest to Pto Plata (1 stop):
12/20 - 1/05 = $476.10 (incl. taxes)
jfk - miami then miami to pop
pop - san juan then san juan to pop

2) 12/22 -1/04 = $614.60 (incl. taxes)
jfk - san juan; san juan to pop
pop - san juan; san juan to jfk

3) 12/20 - 1/05 = $613.60 (incl. taxes)
jfk - sti santiago (non-stop)
sti - jfk (non-stop)

4) 12/22 - 1/04 = $603.60 (incl. taxes)
jfk - san juan; san juan - sti
sti - san juan; san juan - jfk

in Jetblue,
5) 12/16 - 1/04 = $473.60
jfk - sti (non-stop)
sti - jfk (non-stop)

well, this time it's cheaper to pop but only b/c it's
connecting either in miami or san juan.

good luck and enjoy xmas and nyr's in pop.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2004
US AIRWAYS HAS A SPECIAL FOR 208 BUT YOU HAVE to make 2 connections if your looking for a cheap fare this is it. its availble 15 dec and 2 jan

Mikeb

Oct 21, 2005
I found a $508.00 fare on www.travelation.com

Hey Babe. I found a $508.00 fare on www.travelation.com on AA from EWR to POP if you change your dates to depart on 12/22/05 and return on 01/04/06. I hope this helps you out. Mike

donrael

Sep 26, 2005
El Tigre said:
Hey Ricardo thanks for the information. I knew of those prices. I saw them when booking my travel. However, I no longer fly AA and the prices you are quoting are on AA. As long as Delta flies to STI I will never fly AA EVER EVER EVERRRRRRRR not even if AA's ticket is $500 cheaper.

That's my prerogative ;)

whats your beef w/ AA?

I hate AA personally, AA is the worse of the lot. they super overcharge for a danm 3 hours trip to DR. we all know those prices are wayyyyyyy above their operating costs. now adays there are more airlines going to DR and they are getting some heat, but not long ago it was pretty much AA or AA, and they really stuck it to Domincans, espcially in travel season. and dont give me that crap about Demand and supply. those basters overcharge us and cant even provide adequate service to at least justify the price.

I went to italy last year (8 hours...on another friking continent) and payed only a fraction of what it would've cost me to go to DR and non-stop.

ok, now I am upset ...there goes my day
:angry:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
El Tigre said:

That's my prerogative ;)
Dude, you hate AA because they rip off Dominicans and charge more money for a 3 hour flight so now you are paying Delta to do the same thing to you?

What's wrong with this picture?

Sep 19, 2005
I am looking for a flight in the same period..I want 12-22 to 1-03 and the flight I have been taking with AA 833 going and 2054 coming back is $808!!!! this flight was only $274 for most of oct if you booked before oct!!!! then it went to the $300's up to the $388 I paid only 4 days before I went on the 7th. If I move the departure for the december trip up 2 or 3 days I save about $30-$40! I get the same saving if I move the return past the 3rd!....I get maybe a $150 savings if I move BOTH!!!!! But I dont want to burn 3 or 4 extra vacation days to save a lousy $150!!!!!!!. you know they are gouging, because all the flights are booked full when I have made the trips this year. so the up and down pricing is them playing games with trying to get more money. Another thing who wants to take a 24 hour flight by going via san juan and miami???????? even if you save $100 or more!!!!!!! and besides I have never know why, but it seemed the cheapest flights always were the non stop flights, the ones stopping over in miami and SJ all seemed like they were MORE MONEY!!!!! does that make sense???? I want to fly to STI and I want to fly VERY early in the morning going and late afternoon coming back. I took Jet blue in june and that 12:55 am departure is for the birds!!!!!!....bob

Sep 19, 2005
just for S&G I checked delta online just now. They dont offer ANY flights jfk to sti on dec 22 to jan 3rd ( or 2nd)..NONE!!!!!!!! all day long!!!!!!!! thats deltas website too!!!!!!!!!!! and i thought I saw some listed on Orbitz....even though they were way more money...... I checked travelocity and they offered once non stop AA flight and 2 san jaun stop flights for $688 ish..........bob

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I am looking for a flight in the same period..I want 12-22 to 1-03 and the flight I have been taking with AA 833 going and 2054 coming back is $808!!!! this flight was only $274 for most of oct if you booked before oct!!!!

...you know they are gouging, because all the flights are booked full when I have made the trips this year.

How are they gouging if the flights are full? Actually full or not how do you tell this is gouging?

And pointing out tickets are cheaper when people don't want to go and more expensive when they do want to go is not exactly news. Did you notice how expensive gasoline got when there was less of it for a while? Celebrate Xmas in October if the price is going to give you a heart attack.

Don't confuse being cheap with something being overpriced.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
in my book when a company raises the prices of something because they know there is more of a need for it ( for whatever reason) they are gouging. The run a buisness based on their costs, they charge more than their cost to make money, if they charge less they go out of buisness.. soooo when they are charging $300 and they fill the plane they are happy.....when they KNOW more people want to go, they charge triple that, because they know they can get it...its gouging, because their costs didnt change....just like the gasoline IN THE GAS STATION TANKS cost X amount, when the hurricanes hit, and it was already there.. they raised the prices through the roof... they were gouging, because their cost HADNT been increased on that gas STILL IN THE TANKS.. they knew there was going to be a dire need and they stuck it to the people.............go ahead and try to call me cheap, if it makes you think your point is more valid...its water off my back bud. I dont think many people would think someone was cheap when the liked to pay $300 for things on a regular basis , and then complain some when they suddenly cost $800...............if I hit you in the back of the head with a 2x4 and you say it hurts are you a big baby then???? is your point, you want to say I am cheap or is it that there is nothing wrong with the price fluctuations . I think a person who disrupts their intended flight and or vacation schedule to save $45 is cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not someone who complains about a 300% price spike on a $300plus charge!..........but apparently i aint very smart.......bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
...the flight I have been taking with AA 833 going and 2054 coming back is $808!!!! this flight was only $274 for most of oct if you booked before oct!!!! ... you know they are gouging, because all the flights are booked full when I have made the trips this year.
How can you accuse them of gouging when you could have bought the ticket for $274 last month. It's well known that you need to buy tickets for the holiday season early, because the least expensive fares sell quickly and all that's left are the more expensive fares.

AA didn't raise their prices, they only sold out of their most desirable product (the least expensive fares).

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Airlines are in business to make money, punto.
Airline prices are based on competition and what the market can bring it.

Low Season = Less People = Lower Fares, why? to entice people to travel during months that is less traveled a/k/a Off-Peak

High Season = More people = Higher Fares, why? because they know that people will travel during those months a/k/a Peak

The Airlines know that "birds fly south for the winter" and they also know that all of those Dominicans in the US will get home sick and visit their families for the holidays. This will never change!
Good Ole Fashion "Supply & Demand"

Why do you think that a JFK-STI trip is $100 less than a JFK-SDQ trip??

Sep 19, 2005
I never said the $274 flight was a december flight...I said you could fly in oct for $274 if you booked before oct......and the plane isnt using anymore fuel in december than it does in oct....to my best guess anyway. I can understand supply and demand.. thats all well and good....but I can also call it gouging if the term fits.... and the last i checked I was still allowed my opinion as to wether i liked something or not.....unless everone has passed a new rule I didnt hear about.....its not like I am harping over and over and causing all kinds of grief about it. I have flown down in june, sept, oct, this year so far ,have a flight booked for thanksgiving, and wanted to look at christmas as well.......and somehow I cant mention it dont seem right if they want triple the price one month as another....whats even worse i become CHEAP along the way....how many trips does it take to not be cheap..(not that I care to be in any particular catergory) when does one start being cheap when they ask questions? I never mentioned the price spike as making me change my mind on going....so ill take christmas at christmas.....now is everyone that doesnt go at christmas CHEAP????????????......hmmmmmmm

one last remark on "gouging" or the lack thereof....it is illegal "supposedly".

another comment on the subject( and hopefully to get off track) when I looked into flights for thanksgiving time a week or two ago , on the AA site, it appeared there were only about 12 seats left, all at the back of the plane!!!! which is fine for going to STI but sucks for coming into JFK, because of the passport check lines..... well when i decided to book the flight and went back into the seating plan... there were like 50 plus MORE seats available...what happened?...did they buy a bunch back from some company like ORBITZ, or travelocity?????? I find it hard to believe that those seats were on HOLD and then abandonded....but I just dont know.........and its funny how the price goes up and down from day to day....yes for some reason the price falls once in a while ....but I dont think i really want to get back into that!!!!!.......................enjoy the day..bob

Sep 19, 2005
yankee fan, what dates?....I have never flown out of Newark, I wonder how much more of a drive and traffic that would entail coming from above westchester????..........bob