Staying in DR next year....

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I wonder if anyone can help....

I would like to go and stay in DR for a couple of months next summer after I graduate from University. I have been here twice before and I love the place. I am planning on going for a while to see what it would be like to live there. I would prefer to stay in the Puerto Plata or Sosua area, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any places I could rent for up to two months?

I was also looking at getting a part time job, maybe something in a bar. I'd prefer a job involved more with the tourist industry, but I heard that foreigners to the DR arent really employed at resort areas such as Playa Dorada. What would be more realistic? And would I need some kind of work visa? Does anyone know of anywhere that might let me work?

Also, would I need a visa to stay for that long or can I just go as I would on holiday?

Thanks for any advice.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Please please please please use the search . There are so many posts like yours that you will find the answers in them

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Regarding rentals, there are plenty of places to rent for a month or two. What you get depends on your budget and what kind of amenities (air condition, beach front, pool, etc) you require. Be more specific and I'm sure someone will lead you in the right direction. Meanwhile, you can start here (scroll down to Rental Properties):

Regarding a job, it is going to be difficult to find a job if you are only planning to spend two months in the DR.

Regarding a visa, it is as Ricktotonto said, you will pay a fee when you depart. The fee for up to three months is RD300.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
rellosk said:
Regarding rentals, there are plenty of places to rent for a month or two. What you get depends on your budget and what kind of amenities (air condition, beach front, pool, etc) you require. Be more specific and I'm sure someone will lead you in the right direction. Meanwhile, you can start here (scroll down to Rental Properties):

Regarding a job, it is going to be difficult to find a job if you are only planning to spend two months in the DR.

Regarding a visa, it is as Ricktotonto said, you will pay a fee when you depart. The fee for up to three months is RD300.

All of the above, and summer is a slow season here when it comes to the tourism industry. For a stay of 2 months, I´d say relax, enjoy the adventure and see the island and learn about the country and culture.
You will not be hired by anyone for 2 months, exept in commission based sales jobs in tourism, and that is if you would have arrived in the peak season.
For 2 month it is not worth it, as many demand a 2-3 week practice as well to learn the work, that is not paid.

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
Look into the bars in Cabarete. If you have bar experience and present well, you might get lucky. Most people think there's no way they'll hook up with the hotter bars in town, not knowing how hard it is to find good people.

Do yourself a favour though -- be professional about looking for a job. Look neat, bring a resume, and show up on time for whatever interview you get.

Best of luck.