Sending Used Clothes to the DR

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine who visits the Dominican Republic would like to send some clothes to some families in the campo. I gave him the phone number of a shipping company that I had heard some good things about and he was ready to ship the clothes when he was informed by the shipping company that he would not be able to send used clothes. The reason they gave was something to the effect of customs not being able to calculate the tax on used clothes. Does anyone know of a way to ship some used clothes to the DR?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
jstnorv05 said:
Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine who visits the Dominican Republic would like to send some clothes to some families in the campo. I gave him the phone number of a shipping company that I had heard some good things about and he was ready to ship the clothes when he was informed by the shipping company that he would not be able to send used clothes. The reason they gave was something to the effect of customs not being able to calculate the tax on used clothes. Does anyone know of a way to ship some used clothes to the DR?

The way i know is they way that we just did....sent a huge, heavy box to DR using a shipping company out of nyc....the box was full of used clothes...we paid 125US to ship it....it hasn't arrived yet bc they told us 3 weeks and we mailed it oct4th. and it goes by boat...but i do not belive we have to pay tax...they deliver it to your door.

gringagirly

Mar 7, 2005
name of company

audboogie said:
The way i know is they way that we just did....sent a huge, heavy box to DR using a shipping company out of nyc....the box was full of used clothes...we paid 125US to ship it....it hasn't arrived yet bc they told us 3 weeks and we mailed it oct4th. and it goes by boat...but i do not belive we have to pay tax...they deliver it to your door.

Yes, please tell us who you used and keep us updated on the results. Thanks!

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
No more used clothes to the DR

I have been asking around and have been informed that this is a new Dominican regulation. Apparently, in order to reduce the number of Haitians who come to the DR in order to sell used clothes they have created new restrictions on used clothes entering the country. I think this may be the stupidest among a many stupid regulations that I have heard.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
the company is called La Primivera i believe and it is out of Nyc. i will let u know if and when it arrives (crossing my fingers!)