DirecTV Satellite reception problems?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Anybody else having problems getting many channels on Satellite? Already for a week now I don't get CNN, most HBO's, etc. Its not subscription related because some channels come in half way which suggest it's definetly reception related.

Thought it was the trees in the neighbors yard blocking view to the dish but I cut those down and still have same problems.

Anybody have a clue?

I am in Cofresi near POP.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
cabroncito said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cutting the neighbors trees eh. I don't know about anyone else but the cable company in Sosua seems to be having problems also. Now that makes me smile. As for me, no problems everything is crystal clear.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I heard a rumor that DirecTV was moving one of it's satellites and this was going to make it next to impossible to get the signal here in the DR.

The guy I know who works with this told me everyone is going to be switching to dishnetwork.

This is just a rumor, I don't have any official info.

I'm sure you tested your signal strength to make sure your dish is aligned properly?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Well I have another dish/receiver at the office and its doing the same thing. My satellite guy was babbling something about dish network so it sounds like a satellite realignment by DirecTV like Mike said.

To switch to Dish Network, can I use my existing dish, receiver, or card?

Oh yeah and you tree huggers, too friggen bad! They were more bushes then trees anyway.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
First:
SunBursts and hurricane wilma and all the garbage before she was a hurricane, have/had great influence on all satellite signals from the SouthWest

Second:
DirecTV and Dishnetworks have USA licenses only, that means outside USA territory reception is ILLIGAL !
Even if you have a legit receiver and legal card.
There is a DirecTV por Todos, a Spanish version for DirecTV for South America.

Third:
To get a better service for the USA Virgin Islands and less pirates in the Caribbean , DirecTV moved already some transponder signals more to the east in the direction of Puerto Rico / Virgin, thus leaving the Dom.Rep.
The main carrier is still visible, so a dominican installer with his little satfinder with a needle "thinks" there is still a signal, but that is just a beacon/carrier he sees.
DishNetworks/Echostar is doing the same but in a slower rate, they are still very busy with their blue/yellow (N1/N2) cardswap.

Than there is a scam going on as well.

Some "official" (impossible according to the DTV/Dish rules) DTV/Dish sellers are selling a special DishNetworks receiver that does not need a card.

And the story is that you don't need to pay for the programs

The truth is:
This is a model 311 (looks the same as the 301) and has a buildin card, which is activated, on non excisting addresses in the USA or PR, for 3 months with most packages installed.

After those 3 months, your screen wil go black, and than you have to do the things yourself -USA creditcard, USA Soc.Sec.nr, USA address and phone etc- without that, you are on your own. (and never tell them you're outside the USA, they will disconnect your receiver)

If you brought in your own legit receiver from the usa, have fun as long as it takes, don't let them scam you , that you need bigger dishes (6ft-1.8m max)

Another solution to watch tv is IPTV, tv over internet, for those with a good internet connection, boxes are around $300 in the USA, will be around $500 in the DR after shipping and customs.

Almost forgot this:
NO, you cannot use a DTV receiver and card for Dish, those 2 systems are completely different

Last edited:
Dishnet card swap is apparently done, all on N2 now. Been down once since February, one week during the swap of cards.
Sunburst can affect the signal for sure but not Hurricane Wilma! Dish size will also make a difference.
Conchman pm me and I will send you some data.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hlywud said:
Dishnet card swap is apparently done, all on N2 now. Been down once since February, one week during the swap of cards.
Sunburst can affect the signal for sure but not Hurricane Wilma! Dish size will also make a difference.
Conchman pm me and I will send you some data.

Sorry Hlywud, the system that Wilma was born from, certainly affected the quality of our VSAT signals - television as well... Same with Dunhil and their systems. I would not poo-poo Dunhill's statement. The sheer depth of the cloudcover of the system that Wilma was born from, most certainly had an effect, especially aiming to satellites over the CONUS, essentially our 'signal beam' area. In some instances we could not hold a point of a dish for longer than a few seconds. Do remember that our situation here in terms of where we point to, is very very different than where you hail from. The distances that we work with are vast.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
a not so technical expanation of the satellite signal

A satellite is like a big BIRD in the sky (and is often called so)
This bird has a number of flashlights (transponders) and they are all pointed to a certain area

If you are in the middle of a spot you can see everything very well and clear (small dish)

if you are on the edge of the spot, you will have probems with your sight and need to look better (bigger dish)

if you are outside the spot, not even glasses (very very big dish) will help you , YOU SEE NOTHING, it is dark.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hlywud said:
I stand corrected, I guess my location is optimum as I have 3 dishes pointed to different Birds all working with very high quality signals of 18 inch and 20 inch dishes.

I'm drooling with envy... here every installation is like climbing Mount Everest...!

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Thts why we love to work here, never be bored, every day is a new experience, every install a new adventure.
"normal" situations don't exist
Abnormal situations are normal and it works for us :rambo:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Ok my satellite guy told me (from what I could understand) that DirecTV changed birds or satellite position or something. He came over and changed dish angle. Most channels are back but there a few that I don't get now.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hlywud said:
I stand corrected, I guess my location is optimum as I have 3 dishes pointed to different Birds all working with very high quality signals of 18 inch and 20 inch dishes.
Wud, are you picking up Dish and DTV with 18/20" dishes? I use 6' and 10'.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Conchman said:
Ok my satellite guy told me (from what I could understand) that DirecTV changed birds or satellite position or something. He came over and changed dish angle. Most channels are back but there a few that I don't get now.

heheh!... yeah right - a geostationary satellite changed position. Conchman, ask yourself the question.. is this for real? Or are the pirates having a harder time these days? ;)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Chris said:
heheh!... yeah right - a geostationary satellite changed position. Conchman, ask yourself the question.. is this for real? Or are the pirates having a harder time these days? ;)

I am sure it was me not understanding him. He barely speaks english and I barely speak spanish.

He fixes these types of problems for free so he is certainly not a pirate.