what is there in Higuey?

Sep 19, 2005
In talking to my GF about things to do in late nov on my next visit, she mentioned going to Higuey. I was asking her about a beach or place she would like to go that she hasnt gone or always wanted to go to, or any place she really like once and would like to return to see. She mentioned Higuey, and one reason was a large Iglesias( church)..( should I be worried! ha ha ha).. so what else is there to draw one to that are...there are no beaches...it doesnt look like its in the mountains. I just would like to be prepared to adapt once I get there. Since she has never been, she doesnt know what the draw really is then does she, only words from others. .. thanks for the replies, in advance.....bob

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Higuey is home to some of the country's best horse ranches, but you would need a contact to visit these. Also, it is where most of the people who work in the East Coast hotels live. It is a bustling town where if you are interested in getting to know the local culture, a visit to the market or the supermarkets will give you insights into Dominican life. This is a big city, but the facilities are small town. Nearby is the home of Ponce de Leon, the key man to the Spanish settlement of Puerto Rico and Florida. Also, you can visit Boca de Yuma, take a tour up the river with a side trip to the little beach along the coast, all in a morning and for RD$1,500. Easy to arrange by just visiting the boat area. Lunch is worth it there at one of the seafood restaurants that serve fresh catch of the day. This is not resort area, not many tourists head that way, but it is worth a visit if you want to get "off the beaten track." There are two or three good hotels in the area, just rent a car and drive around and check them out.

Sep 19, 2005
thanks, I think I have a good handle on dominican life. I have spent about 40 days in 4 trips so far, with about 35 of those off the beaten track, eating in very little places along the side of the road, or places that my hosts have found over the years that they like. But each place I have never been has the potential to offer something new, I just dont know what, and hope its a positive experience in each case.What about this church, is it something special?, old? have some special history attached to it?....This area is one large area I havent been yet. I have been in La Romana , the capitol ,samana, puerto plata, batero, Constanza, Baharone, Santiago, Monti Christi, and all the towns in between on the major roads. Some day i will want to check out the highest peak in the country, and lands west and south of Santiago and over near haiti.....bob

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Definitely, the Basilica La Altagracia is a religious and architectural monument that would be famous worldwide if it had been built anywhere else. Given that it was built many years before Punta Cana became a tourist destination, it has not received all the attention it deserves. It is a fascinating and imponent sample of tropical architecture. Take your time to observe all the details.

Stroll down the main street leading out of the Basilica and short walk will bring you to the Iglesia de San Dionisio, where the cult to the Virgen de la Altagracia began.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I was there

last year during November. I actually made a trip to Punta Cana and decided to make a side trip over to Higuey to see what was happening. The church is a beautiful site (I have pictures of it somewhere), and I'm not much for architectural settings. Higuey, as was mentioned by someone else, is certainly not a tourist destination, but that is what made me curious about it to begin with. It reminds me somewhat of POP, more of a residential area, without the tourists. Definitely worth a side trip.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think the Basilica is an eyesore, but there you are.
The wooden houses in La Otra Banda, now we're talking.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dolores said:
Definitely, the Basilica La Altagracia is a religious and architectural monument that would be famous worldwide if it had been built anywhere else. Given that it was built many years before Punta Cana became a tourist destination, it has not received all the attention it deserves. It is a fascinating and imponent sample of tropical architecture. Take your time to observe all the details.

Stroll down the main street leading out of the Basilica and short walk will bring you to the Iglesia de San Dionisio, where the cult to the Virgen de la Altagracia began.
Actually,

The basilica is not a truly tropical architectural example, but rather a brutist arquitectural example, though this one is more imposing and unique than most brutist structures.

The basilica looks like a pair of praying hands from the outside. The inside there are many references to oranges, which is grow in the region and usually abundant during Virgin of Altagracia's day. This structure came from the mind of french architects Dunover de Segonazc and Pierre Dupré. The structure was inagurated on January 21, 1971, but construction had started during Trujillo's reign. At the time of the inaguration, the basilica was sorround by fields to the north, east, and west, and to the south was the northern fringes of the really small town of Higuey, at the time. Today, modern Higuey sorrounds the Basilica on all sides.

Inside the basilica is a painting of the virgin of highest grace (Altagracia) of 33.5 centimeters of width and 45 centimeters of height. The painting was created in Spain circa the end of 15th, beginings of 16ths centuries (late 1400s, early 1500s). The main entry door is of bronce covered with 24K gold and was santified by Pope John Paul II in Rome. The bell tower has 45 bells of bronce and its the largest bell tower in the western hemisphere, so I am told. It is visible for miles when approaching Higuey.

The structure is impressive, more so on the inside, since its design seems to defy what brutist architecture was thought to not be able to do, bending and such with hardly any corners visible on the inside. For those who say that Dominicans lack faith, they should make a trip to the basilica on the virgin of Altagracia's day. It would be very hard to make the same assumption afterwards.

This structure was built to replace the Iglesia of San Donisio, which was built in 1572. This structure is still standing, albeit it is dwarfed by the monumental structure of the "new" cathedral.

I am not keen to brutist architecture (because brutist architecture is pretty ugly), but this structure truly is impressive, except on dark cloudy days when the structure reminds me of frankenstein, for some reason.:surprised

-NAL

BTW, for other examples of brutist architecture within Santo Domingo, take a look (make a it a quick look, this structure deserves the ugliest building in the world award) at the Huacal tower. It was constructed in 1973 to house certain government offices and was the tallest structure in the country for quite a few years. Extremely ugly building that needs some bright paints soon! I can't stand that structure!

On a lighter and more ethetically pleasing note, the Banco Central tower is another example of a much more simple elegant style of brutist architecture, built in 1976.

Last edited:

Nicaury31884

Aug 18, 2005
Higuey Mini Vacation

I just came back from visiting Higuey during Columbus Day weekend. I stayed at Hotel Don Carlos. The hotel was great and cheap. The city is not a tourist area, but there are many things to do if you know people from the area. I was hanging out with friends from the area and they showed me around. Higuey even has an Elvis Presley theme cafe. The funny thing was that even though that was the cafe's theme, no Elvis music was ever played. Higuey is a pretty decent size city and the people in general were very nice.