Punta Cana to Puerto Plata

wise one

Oct 20, 2005
We are planning a trip to a timeshare in Puerto Plata for next summer (2006). In looking at the airlines from Cincinnati (CVG) to Puerto Plata, it is crazy. The best is about 18 hours to get there or back or both. This is because of a lengthy lay over in either JFK or Miami. I have found that right now, USA3000 shows flights on Saturdays from Cincinnati to Punta Cana non-stop. However, no flights from Cincinnati to Puerto Plata. Also the cost to fly USA3000 is considerably less than other airlines.

So, what airlines flys from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata? Do you know the present fares? etc.

Does anyone have other ideas for transportation from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata?

L

lovesthebeach

You can try flying into Toronto and then direct to puerto plata or punta cana for probably much less

check out www.yourtraveltickets.com for pricing from toronto

usually around 700-800 incl tax CAD$$

if its summer time like may or june you can probably even get something for around 500 incl tax per person

flight from toronto is just under 4 hours

hope that helps
LTB

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Why not fly into Punta Cana and either Hire a Taxi or rent a car..Im sure it wont be cheap...
but probally cheaper and way less stressy than a 18 hour trip..
Another option is to fly to Santiago..which is under 2 hours away from Puerto Plata
Delta,AA,Continental all can get you there
Go through PC or Santiago
and enjoy ur trip to DR

Last edited:

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
check Continental Airlines. I wouldn't fly into Punta Cana if I were staying in Puerto Plata. I would rather take the lay-over in Miami or JFK, than drive from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata. Santiago (STI) with AA, DL, or CO would be a much better option if nothing else is offered directly into POP. If anything Santo Domingo (SDQ) would be my absolute last resort.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We have used skyauctions.com. Like ebay but for travel. It's remarkable some of the deals you can get. Or you can try Vacation express.com. They fly thru Orlando and the Flight was of the best we ever had.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Air Santo Domingo flies this route and last time we checked it was USD$160 roundtrip.(between POP and PUJ).

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Did I read that correctly, summer 2006??? I can pretty much guarantee much will change between now and then!!! Don't stress too much this far in advance. Watch the airlines and see what developes.

As for flying into Punta Cana, taking a taxi to puerto plata as "less stressful". I don't think so! It will take you 7 or more hours to drive from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata, depending on the time of arrival will include being driven on these highways at night! NOw that IS stressful! Not a good plan at all.

wise one

Oct 20, 2005
Thanks for the information. Looking at american airlines last night, it looks like only 7 hours down to Puerto Plata but coming back would be a layover in Miami from about 5:30 pm to either 7:30 or 10:30 am. That might be the ticket, since then we would have time to go out and do something in Miami. The JFK was on continental/delta and we had a layover of like 10 pm to 7 am, just enough that you feel like you need a hotel/motel, but not enough to do any sightseeing.

I know that it is early, but I like to plan ahead. The ajirplane tickets won't be bought until after the first of the year, but I want to know what it will entail so that I am not surprised in the winter or spring.

Still looking for alternatuives to the long layover though.

Sep 19, 2005
I found a few commuter flight companies, but none fly out of Santiago! I wonder why...with Santiago becoming such a big destination for flights from the US, you would think connector flights would serve a purpose there...everyone that wants to fly into the santiago area, will have to drive to POP to get a short flight to SD or PC...or even Samana...if you rent a car in santiago, you are leaving it parked at an airport 1.5 hours away,for $75 a day while you fly to another place and rent another car.....if I could get the flight out of santiago, I wouldnt rent the car there until I came back... and just taxi around for one or two days....anyone know of a santiago-santo Domingo express flight service?....I thought I saw one at one point, but cant find it again.....bob