Possibly moving

Genie164

Oct 21, 2005
Hi everyone! My husband and I are going to be moving to the area next year some time. We both work hard and we are wanting to make this a permanate move. We have been able to save us about 15000usd.

We want to find work once we get down there. He is in the insurace industry here in the US. I am in medical claims and billing. We both are sick of the hassel that comes with living in the USA . Though I do understand no place is perfect, I was told to look at the Carribean . The D R keeps jumping out at me every time I turn around. The info I have gathered on the area......I have fallen in love with it.

My question is this. What is the likely hood of finding a cheap rental and jobs down there by the time the 15000 runs out?
;)
Thanks for your time
Genie

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Try searching here first then asking after you have read the numerous posts on this very same question. This is VERY popular subject from dreamers.

I cannot imagine having only $15,000 to support you while you move and think it will last nor can I imagine you will get jobs that will support you. How is your Spanish? Fluently bilingual I hope.

I get the impression you have not even been to the DR once yet.

Genie164

Oct 21, 2005
I speak spanish fluently. We were there for a few weeks several years ago that is one of the reasons we are interested in the area.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you speak Spanish fluently, your chances obviously better than if you don't. With your experience in claims and billing, you may be able to find a job--probably in Santo Domingo, with an insurance company, or some large organization with an accounting and bookkeeping department. You need to be prepared to work in what ever envirnment has work, even if it isn't medical related. For example, it might be a large hotel, or a corporation.

When you move to a foreign land, you must be willing to be very flexible.

But I hope you are aware that salaries here are very, very low compared to what you are earning now.

You don't mention your husband's language proficiency. Unless he speaks fluent Spanish like you, he is likely to have more trouble than you. What else can he do that might translate into a job.

Genie164

Oct 21, 2005
My husband took high school french and is quite good at it. He loves the insurance industry, but he is handy with cars, construction. ( He had to learn that we had to rebuild half our house after a storm) He is one of those gifted people that excels at almost anything he does. He is going to be takeing a spanish course in the next few months so hopefuly he will be passible by the time we are ready for the move.

I realize the pay rate is lower , but I still love the island. I have been reading everything that I can on relocation and the info I have been getting is diffrent from place to place. One web page says you can live down there for under 1500 us a month and the other says it takes 3to5000 usd. I am getting confused and frustrated with the conflicting info. I checked out an article by a site called escape artist and this is the list of housing it gave

Apartment Rental, Furnished, 2BR, 1Bath, Central Air, Parking, Telephone, light. $ 650 US

Apartment Rental, Unfurnished, 3BR, 2 ? Bath, Generator for Bldg, Quiet, secure. RD 10,000 Pesos (about $ 625 US)

Apartment Rental, Unfurnished, 2BR, 2 Bath, Patio in Ceramic, Intercom, Planta. RD 8,000 Pesos (about $ 500 US)

Apartment Rental, Unfurnished, 2BR, 1 Bath, Doorman, Full 24 hr Electricity $ 385 US

House for Sale, 3,000 sq. meters near the beach , 3BR, 2 ? bath, 2 terraces, Fruit Trees, floors in Marbol , 2 dining rms Asking $ 100,000 US

House for Sale, 5 BR, 3 Bath, Patio, Cistern, covered parking RD 1,250,000 Pesos (about $ 78,000 US)

House for Sale, 3 BR, 2 ? bath Terrace, good area in The city, swimming Pool. RD 1,400,000 Pesos (about $ 87,500 US)

Apartment Rental, Unfurnished, 3BR Brand New , 2nd floor apartment. RD 2,500 Pesos (about $ 160 US)

House Rental, Unfurnished, 3BR, 2 bath, Swimming Pool, two Water tanks, A/C. RD 8,000 Pesos (about $ 500 US)

Penthouse Apt for Sale 2BR, 2 bath Private Parking RD 450,000 Pesos (about $ 28,200 US)

Apartment for Sale, 3 BR, 2 ? Bath Excellent Area, Bldg has Full Generator RD 1,580,000 Pesos (about $ 100,000 US)

Apartment Building for Sale, 6 Apartments in building in the Zona Oriental. RD 3,200,000 Pesos (about $ 200,000 US)

Room for Rent, Furnished Room, Private bath, independent entrance RD 2,000 Pesos monthly (about $ 125 US)

House Rentals Unfurnished, 3BR, Various Areas, Realtor has Various Apartments From RD 2,000 -
RD 3,000 & RD 4000 Pesos ( $ 150 US & up )

Hope I didn't step on any toes by posting this.
If anyone can give more info it would realy be helpful
G

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
the exchange rate is US1 to RD30
also, the $15,000US you saved up will probably be spent within one year. Then you and your husband will start to actually live like dominicans, be careful and research, research, research!

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That information is hopelessly out of date, judging by the exchange rate calculations. The US$ is at about RD$32 these days. The last time it was at 16 was in the last century!
Look in the DR1 real estate section, and in recent threads on these forums.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Ahhh 16 to one such a long time ago.

See if you and your husband can take a leave of absence and live there for 3 months to 6 months. Keep your place in the US and rent it out for the time being. If all goes well after that time sell what you have and finalize your move, if not you will be able to learn a little or a lot about what you two can handle.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A.J. said:
Ahhh 16 to one such a long time ago.

See if you and your husband can take a leave of absence and live there for 3 months to 6 months. Keep your place in the US and rent it out for the time being. If all goes well after that time sell what you have and finalize your move, if not you will be able to learn a little or a lot about what you two can handle.

This is very good advice. Coming here on vacation and coming to live when you have to find work to support yourself are two very different things.

There isn't anybody who really wants to discourage you, but we do advise not burning all your bridges unless you have the resources to support yourelf if you can't find work.

You certainly seem to have the right attitude and I hope it works out for you. My wife and I have been here for 20 years and, though we certainly wouldn't give up our US citizenship, are happy living here.

Continue with your plans, but try to retain an escape hatch, just in case.