Driving in Santo Domingo (observations)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
One of the things that puzzles me most about this country is the driving. After observing Dominican driving as a passenger in a taxi twice per day for several weeks, here is what I have come to learn are apparently, the "rules" of the road:

Red light: slow down, glance both ways, proceed through intersection

Yellow light: slow down, glance both ways, proceed through intersection

Green light: slow down and glance both ways before proceeding through intersection in case someone who has the red light has not slowed down and glanced before passing through.

Stop sign: has no purpose. Means nothing.

Traffic lanes: Mean nothing. As many cars as possible can proceed alongside each other. If one car gets too close to another, lot's of beeping, waving of arms and yelling ensues from both drivers.

One way sign: means two way traffic. However, if you are going the wrong way, stay to right as several cars may come towards you alongside each other, thereby resulting in confusion, beeping, yelling and the waving of the hands.

When entering a congested intersection: proceed directly into middle of congestion causing more congestion and join in the beeping yelling and hand waving. It dosent matter who had right of way, there is none. Just join in.

When raining: Multiply congestion by 10x. However the yelling does not come into play because windows are down. Replace yelling with more beeping or pass time watching/laughing at women walking on street with plastic bags on their heads.

Other rules: Drinking beer is fine, however do not drive and talk on cellphone or forget to put on sealtbelt...safety is important:ermm:

Larry

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Now that you understand the "rules", it's time you tried driving instead of taking cabs.:rambo:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Try driving at night when most of the traffic lights are out and everybody is just muscling their way into the intersection, don't forget about those bastards on those motoconchos weaving in and out of traffic.
Hate Driving in the Capital.
Like riding drunk in the back of the taxi.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
My favorite: If you are in the middle lane of a 4 or 5 lanes (example Churchill) you have to watch out for the guy on your left that might decide at the last minute to turn right and look out for the guy on your right that my decide to turn left....all done by cutting you right off without notice!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ricardo900 said:
Try driving at night when most of the traffic lights are out and everybody is just muscling their way into the intersection, don't forget about those bastards on those motoconchos weaving in and out of traffic.
Hate Driving in the Capital.
Like riding drunk in the back of the taxi.

Not to mention high beams on at all times.:angry:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
juanita said:
My favorite: If you are in the middle lane of a 4 or 5 lanes (example Churchill) you have to watch out for the guy on your left that might decide at the last minute to turn right and look out for the guy on your right that my decide to turn left....all done by cutting you right off without notice!

Juanita, you are obviously a slow driver. The trick is making a fast start. Don't become distracted, keep your engine reved to the max, and pop the clutch as soon as the light changes, than way you won't give anybody a chance to cut in front of you.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
My first trip. . . .

My very first trip to SDQ I was lucky enough to have a buddy there that owned a business in the zona franca to show me around. . . . . .I was also unlucky enough to have a buddy that has a sense of adventure!

I somehow stumbled through immigration and baggage claim and figured out the whole tourist card thing. I left the airport and was greeted by a mob of people yelling and waving in some foreign tongue that vaguely resembled spanish. . . .

If my buddy was not in the middle of the mob. . . .I'd have turned around and gone home. he took me to his car and for a quick "tour". We stopped at a colmado for beers, went to the zona colonial etc, where the car died.

Anywho we eventually make it to his novia's apt and we hang out on the patio with her and her 3 year old daughter. She lived off of charles de gaule and we had to drive down some dirt roads to get to her house. Needless to say it was dark and I was drunk. . ..

After a bit, my buddy probably waking up an realizing that he hasn't seen his novia in a week or so. . . . .hands me the keys to the car and says "go get more beer". . . .he gives me quick directions on how to get back to charlie without taking the dirt roads. . . .I never asked why we took those roads in the first place?

As I am foolishly starting the car. . . .he tells the 3 year old to get in and go with me. . . . .now I figure it out. . . buddy wants to get some lovin while I am "busy". . . . .

I make it to charlie no problem and make it to te local colmado pretty easily. They had a bunch of cute waitresses that were all flirty with me on the first beer run. . . . did I mention I spoke nearly zero spanish?

I park the car and start walking to the colmado while the 3 year old hols my hand. . . . .I still remember all the people sitting at the plastic tables looking at this pasty white 6'4" tall gringo with a ponytail. . . .walking hunched over holding the hand of this adorable 3 year old morenita. . . .

I figure out how to buy beer and pay for it. . . .the whole time having the waitresses tugging my ponytail and smiling shyly. . . . .

I had no idea how to tell them to NOT open all 6 grandes I bought!. So now I am walking back to the car with 6 grandes and a 3 year old, who is now sort of just holding onto my pants leg. . . . .I walk by the same people and get even funnier looks. . . . . .

Then. . . .I reailize. .. .I have nO idea how to get back to the apt I just left!
I carefully balance the open beers in the 3 year olds lap and she helps by holding on to them as best she could. . . . . .did I mention I was drinking beer all evening? I ask her "you got it" and she looks up at me and smiles and says. . . ."I Got It". . . .which is funny as she doesn't speak much spanish let alone english. . . . .

I start the car and start driving down charlie. First I hit a pot hole that would fit a mini cooper no problem and beer goes flying. As I am leaning over to help the kid contain the beer spillage. .. .with one grande in my lap. . . .between swigs.. . . .what do I see/almost not see?

A moped coming at me in the oncoming lanes. . . .with 3 people on it. . . . .no lights whatsoever. I am freaking out. . . .the kid keeps repeating "I got it". . . . .beer is still spilling and the moped casually drives right between us and the car in the right lane. . . .sort of on the shoulder. . . .

Ok. .. now I am lost. . . the next thing I know I am on avenida espana and the water is on the left hand side. . . .I remember water on the left coming from the airport. . . .so I know I am going in another direction. . .I am freaking out as I don't have my buddy's phone number. So I decide to give up and head to my hotel, the jaragua.

Oh yeah. . .have NO idea how to get there, and know now, that I was not evn close and on the wrong side of the bridge any way. So I make a U turn and head back. I come to a sign that points to the airport and am VERY tempted. . . .but I have a 3 year old soaked in beer saying "I got It" over and over and laughing at the nervous gringo.

I take the left fork instead of going to the airport and drive up and down charlie passing the colmado a few times trying to find that dirt road.

Finally after what seemed like days. . . .did I mention I had been drinking beer and really needed to pee? . . . . . .I find the dirt road and we slowly make it down this bumpy road and I somehow make it back to the novia's apt. My buddy is out on the patio smoking a cigarette drinking BEER! There was a little tiny colmado on the next corner! he of course laughs his ass off when I tell him of my escapades. . . . .

Oh did I mention by this point it was raining lightly. . . . .making it even harder to see the unlit mopeds?

The ride to the airport was even crazier but is sort of off topic. . . .I'll have to do a blog with whacky DR stories from over the years. . . .

Heck this post is pretty much off topic and I forgot why I started it. . . . . .

Oh yeah. . . .Larry learning about the driving/rules of the road by taking taxis for two weeks. . . .what a lightwieght ;-) Brought back memories of my very first experience driving in the DR.

I didn't drive down there again for over a year. Then while living there for 2 years i had tons of "experiences" driving. . . .. . . .

I take cabs now. . .. .maybe I'll run into Larry. . . .

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
rafael said:
Oh yeah. . . .Larry learning about the driving/rules of the road by taking taxis for two weeks. . . .what a lightwieght ;-) Brought back memories of my very first experience driving in the DR.

Yeah thats me, Larry the lightweight. Maybe eventually I will actually work up the courage to rent a car and drive here myself...LOL.

Rafeal, I have only been living here 6 weeks but that dosent mean it is my first time here my friend :)

Larry

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Hey. . . .I was just kidding! Your post just brought back. . . . . . memories. . . .I was gonna say bad memories. . . . .but that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I am glad you are digging living in the DR and taxis are all good!

L

LarrySpencer

Larry,

Great post. I think you've pretty much got it all figured out. My advice, forget the driving...if there's a Taxi available, take it.

I think one of the strangest things I saw were the amount of ....someone please feed me the proper name.... of little roadside "pitstops" where one can simply pull over, reach out the window and get Presidente, cups, etc. and just keep right on driving. On the trip from Santo Domingo to Dajabon, and I'm not kidding about this, my father-in-law did this about ten times. That was probably the biggest shock to me.

The other Larry...kind of like pork, the other white meat.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Rafael, do you realize that if this would have happened to you in the US, say in New Jersey, you would be much less cavalier about it after having been stopped by the police, and booked at the local precinct for the following:

1) drunken driving
2) reckless driving
3) public intoxication
4) driving without a license
5) public indecency (urinating on the side of the road)
6) endangering the health of a child (probably no seat belt and sitting in the front seat)
7) contributing to the delinquency of a minor (open liquor bottles...)
8) conspiracy
9) money laundering..

the last two are the product of the judge's wild imagination ;-)

rafael said:
My very first trip to SDQ I was lucky enough to have a buddy there that owned a business in the zona franca to show me around. . . . . .I was also unlucky enough to have a buddy that has a sense of adventure!

I somehow stumbled through immigration and baggage claim and figured out the whole tourist card thing. I left the airport and was greeted by a mob of people yelling and waving in some foreign tongue that vaguely resembled spanish. . . .

If my buddy was not in the middle of the mob. . . .I'd have turned around and gone home. he took me to his car and for a quick "tour". We stopped at a colmado for beers, went to the zona colonial etc, where the car died.

Anywho we eventually make it to his novia's apt and we hang out on the patio with her and her 3 year old daughter. She lived off of charles de gaule and we had to drive down some dirt roads to get to her house. Needless to say it was dark and I was drunk. . ..

After a bit, my buddy probably waking up an realizing that he hasn't seen his novia in a week or so. . . . .hands me the keys to the car and says "go get more beer". . . .he gives me quick directions on how to get back to charlie without taking the dirt roads. . . .I never asked why we took those roads in the first place?

As I am foolishly starting the car. . . .he tells the 3 year old to get in and go with me. . . . .now I figure it out. . . buddy wants to get some lovin while I am "busy". . . . .

I make it to charlie no problem and make it to te local colmado pretty easily. They had a bunch of cute waitresses that were all flirty with me on the first beer run. . . . did I mention I spoke nearly zero spanish?

I park the car and start walking to the colmado while the 3 year old hols my hand. . . . .I still remember all the people sitting at the plastic tables looking at this pasty white 6'4" tall gringo with a ponytail. . . .walking hunched over holding the hand of this adorable 3 year old morenita. . . .

I figure out how to buy beer and pay for it. . . .the whole time having the waitresses tugging my ponytail and smiling shyly. . . . .

I had no idea how to tell them to NOT open all 6 grandes I bought!. So now I am walking back to the car with 6 grandes and a 3 year old, who is now sort of just holding onto my pants leg. . . . .I walk by the same people and get even funnier looks. . . . . .

Then. . . .I reailize. .. .I have nO idea how to get back to the apt I just left!
I carefully balance the open beers in the 3 year olds lap and she helps by holding on to them as best she could. . . . . .did I mention I was drinking beer all evening? I ask her "you got it" and she looks up at me and smiles and says. . . ."I Got It". . . .which is funny as she doesn't speak much spanish let alone english. . . . .

I start the car and start driving down charlie. First I hit a pot hole that would fit a mini cooper no problem and beer goes flying. As I am leaning over to help the kid contain the beer spillage. .. .with one grande in my lap. . . .between swigs.. . . .what do I see/almost not see?

A moped coming at me in the oncoming lanes. . . .with 3 people on it. . . . .no lights whatsoever. I am freaking out. . . .the kid keeps repeating "I got it". . . . .beer is still spilling and the moped casually drives right between us and the car in the right lane. . . .sort of on the shoulder. . . .

Ok. .. now I am lost. . . the next thing I know I am on avenida espana and the water is on the left hand side. . . .I remember water on the left coming from the airport. . . .so I know I am going in another direction. . .I am freaking out as I don't have my buddy's phone number. So I decide to give up and head to my hotel, the jaragua.

Oh yeah. . .have NO idea how to get there, and know now, that I was not evn close and on the wrong side of the bridge any way. So I make a U turn and head back. I come to a sign that points to the airport and am VERY tempted. . . .but I have a 3 year old soaked in beer saying "I got It" over and over and laughing at the nervous gringo.

I take the left fork instead of going to the airport and drive up and down charlie passing the colmado a few times trying to find that dirt road.

Finally after what seemed like days. . . .did I mention I had been drinking beer and really needed to pee? . . . . . .I find the dirt road and we slowly make it down this bumpy road and I somehow make it back to the novia's apt. My buddy is out on the patio smoking a cigarette drinking BEER! There was a little tiny colmado on the next corner! he of course laughs his ass off when I tell him of my escapades. . . . .

Oh did I mention by this point it was raining lightly. . . . .making it even harder to see the unlit mopeds?

The ride to the airport was even crazier but is sort of off topic. . . .I'll have to do a blog with whacky DR stories from over the years. . . .

Heck this post is pretty much off topic and I forgot why I started it. . . . . .

I didn't drive down there again for over a year. Then while living there for 2 years i had tons of "experiences" driving. . . .. . . .

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Mirador said:
Rafael, do you realize that if this would have happened to you in the US, say in New Jersey, you would be much less cavalier about it after having been stopped by the police, and booked at the local precinct for the following:

1) drunken driving
2) reckless driving
3) public intoxication
4) driving without a license
5) public indecency (urinating on the side of the road)
6) endangering the health of a child (probably no seat belt and sitting in the front seat)
7) contributing to the delinquency of a minor (open liquor bottles...)
8) conspiracy
9) money laundering..

the last two are the product of the judge's wild imagination ;-)

I was not being cavalier about it. I said I was drinking beer, not that I was drunk. I am a big guy and it is hard to get me drunk.. . . .or I should say it was hard back then. I used to go out much more frequently and had quite a bit of tolerance built up. If I went to the DR tomorrow after not even sipping a beer in 2 months. . . .I would get a serious buzz of off maybe 6-8 presidentes, where back in the day. . ..6-8 did nothing. . . .LOL.

I was not driving reclessly. In fact I felt I was the only one NOT driving recklessly. I tried to stay in my lane, but that is tough to do when nobody else does. I signal at every turn, stop at every traffic light etc etc etc

No public intoxication. . . .I have a buddy that I have worked very closely with for almost 10 years. We have rommed together on the road a ton of times. We went to all sorts of industry parties, spent many an evening entertaining clients and he still to this day insists he has never seen me drunk. He doesn't drink even a sip.

I had a license. Are you telling me any tourist that drives in the DR can be arrested?

I didn't pee on the side of the road. If I did I would not have been driving in such pain. . . .LOL. . . .having to pee, was just one more little thing that made my situation seem more desperate at the time.

I agree on the seatbelt, there was no seatbelt! I can tell you that the very first tme this little girl ever wore a seatbelt was because of me. Up till that point her mom and step dad could not get her to put one on.. . . . .she would scream like crazy. I took her and her mom to a supermarket once and the kid was standing in the mini bus taxi the whole trip! I was freaking out. Once in the supermarket. . . I picked her up and put her in the cart. The carts at the market had seatbelts. . .she immediately started crying and motioning for mom to take the belt off. . . . . .mom said talk to "tio rafae". . . . .I put on my "don't **** me off face" and simply said "que" sternly. She calmed down and didn't complain again. When we got back into the taxi, the kid left mom in the front seat and came to sit with me. . . .and SHE started putting on the seat belt! All it took was one strong response to cure her. I had to do the same with my ex novias son. Cured him in on try as well. So I agree with you on the seatbelts.

I agree on the open bottles, but that was just because I didn't know how to tell the colmado guys to not open the bottles. Trust me the bottles being open made the trip way more difficult.

I apologize if my post sounded like I was being cavalier. . . . .I was just recalling my first crazy night in the DR.

I have never gotten a DWI in my life and don't plan on it. I have been given sobriety tests about 12 times. . . .from walking a straight line, leaning back and touching my nose, saying the alphabet backwards and the follow the pencil with just your eyse trick. I passed every time. All of those instances were 15 years or more ago. I rarely go out here in NY and don't drive when I do. In the DR I take taxis as I posted.

The only times in my life I felt like I was not totally in control of my driving was because of being extremely tired. If I feel like I may start dozin off. . . .I pull over and get a hotel, if there are no hotels I park on the side of the road and sleep.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
juanita said:
And usually they have to speed-up to pass you so they can cut you off.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
rafael said:
I apologize if my post sounded like I was being cavalier. . . . .I was just recalling my first crazy night in the DR.
No need to apologize. We were all younger and stupider at some time.

Funny, well told story.

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
I remember driving to Santiago from Sosua via Puerto Plata and everyone getting stuck behind the inevitable slow moving truck.
Folks passing round blind bends and somehow brakeing, swerving and luck aiding the foolhardy to live.
I came around a bend on my side of the road only to be presented with the sight of a mack truck passing another mack truck gasoline tanker,
Needless to say I headed for the grass verge as any arguments, hand waving, horn beeping were really not going to work.
Luckily, he was nearly past and when reaching me a little gap opened up.

What would be a good thing would be to stick those reflector thingys to show the middle of the road, so when the nightly blinding searchlights have washed out your night vison, you could grope about without braking too hard in case you were about to zing off the road into a ditch.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
I am still laughing from this post. I actually like driving in the Domincan Republic, except when the traffic is backed up during happy hour. I have a hard time controling my speed and driving normal when I am back in the USA.

"I don't understand what you mean officer, I know I wasn't using my blinker, I was driving too fast, drinking a beer, and going down the sidewalk on a one way street. Where I come from, this is considered normal"

Do you think that line would work in the USA? It sure works here :)

Anyone need a ride ???

:)

swake

Oct 27, 2002
rafael said:

SNIP

I was waiting for this :) You gotta love this country ;) Cheers!