718 area code in Santiago

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Hello all,

I just noticed that a calling center in Santiago has a 718 area code. I actually called the number back to verify that it wasn't just a caller-id fiasco. So, I checked Vonage, and they don't offer that service in the DR yet. Anyone have any idea how I can get a 718 area code in Santiago?

thanks,
Sonny.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Might be through a Voip system like SKYPE. I currently have a 646 area code here in Santiago over my computer. Cost me $20 to reserve the number and all calls are forwarded to my computer. People calling me from NYC are charged a local call.

Ian

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
Hey Ian, I looked on Skype..are you talking about SkypeIn? From what I can see, its not available in the DR. Could you please let me know which system you subscribe to? Also I assume that you need broadband and a computer in Santiago?

Thanks,
Sonny.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sonny said:
I just noticed that a calling center in Santiago has a 718 area code. I actually called the number back to verify that it wasn't just a caller-id fiasco. So, I checked Vonage, and they don't offer that service in the DR yet. Anyone have any idea how I can get a 718 area code in Santiago?
I doubt if they are giving out 718 area code in the DR. It is a Brooklyn, NY area code.

sonny

Aug 6, 2002
I already mentioned that I called the number back and verified that it is infact in Santiago. I just called the owner of the calling center and like any good businessman, he refused to tell me the name of the company that he is using. He did mention that it is through a company in the US, is only available to businesses, and needs the internet. If anyone finds out anymore details then please do share with the board. Ian, could you please let us know what you are using?

thanks,
Sonny.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There are a number of services that now offer this. With Skypein you get a number in say, New York, and if anyone calls, it rings here on your computer or connected phone. Germany seems to be a leader in developing this technology and there are lots of German developed software, utilizing sip phones... New telephone technology... sip (Session Initiated Protocol). Not to be confused with SIP which is Safe Internet Programming...

For a call center, incoming calls will be distributed to individual agents, answering phones, via computer software. It is IP based and one does not need analog to digital conversion like eg Vonage... a regular phone but an analog to digital converter to connect to the internet.

New and interesting technology... We are already implementing this technology and have it running on two sites at the moment. Nice stuff and we've bought some sip phones now for us as well. Best utilization of VOIP that I've come across. You require a consistent minimum of 100 Kb/s for each phone, so consistent broadband is necessary. We are moving to this technology for VOIP for all out satellite installs.

Here is a list of the virtual numbers available... http://sipphone.com/virtual/

Last edited:

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
Chris broke it down better than I could

What I do have is indeed SkypeIn. You need broadband and that's about it (also a headset). Doesn't matter where in the world you are located. As I am from the NYC area I reserved a number in New York whereby all my friends and family can call it from a landline or cellular and it automatically forwards through to my computer here in Santiago. It's a beautifull thing really and has allowed me to stay in touch with people and save a ton of money. You can also communicate with anyone who also has broadband and has downloaded the Skype program computer to computer at no charge whatsoever. Seems almost too good to be true and many people I have told about it look at me as if I am up to something. My neighbor here hasn't given it a try yet because she thinks there is some hook to it.......It's been good as gold to me......

Ian

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
rellosk said:
I doubt if they are giving out 718 area code in the DR. It is a Brooklyn, NY area code.

Queens, Bronx and Staten Island also use the 718
as a matter of fact, Manhattan is the only one that uses 212 out of the five Boroughs.

New area codes like 347 and 646 are being used also

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
carlos said:
Queens, Bronx and Staten Island also use the 718
as a matter of fact, Manhattan is the only one that uses 212 out of the five Boroughs.

New area codes like 347 and 646 are being used also
Also don't forget 917.
And 212 was given to NYC because of the ease of quickly dialing a number using a rotary phone, also all five boroughs at one time (not too long ago) were under the cherished 212 area code.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
sonny said:
Hey Ian, I looked on Skype..are you talking about SkypeIn? From what I can see, its not available in the DR. Could you please let me know which system you subscribe to? Also I assume that you need broadband and a computer in Santiago?

Thanks,
Sonny.
Vonage works great in the DR. I have a 845 number. Get a vonage number and don't listen to what they say.

Escott

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Vonage truly was the forerunner for a long time in this market segment - IP telephony for the home user away from 'home' so to speak. They will have their work cut out for them to remain the forerunner as the market is exploding. But, I agree fully with Scott, Vonage works great for the everyday home user and is probably one of the easiest services to work with!

Willie

Sep 30, 2004
Perhaps the call center opened a few Vonage accts in New York and took the boxes to Santiago and connected them to the network. Anyone calling those numbers would ring the phones in Santiago.

Willie