Gas odor in Santo Domingo!

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
I woke up this morning at 5.45 to a really nasty gas odor. First I thought my tank was leaking but realized it was also coming from the front of the house. I called 911, Firefighters and was told they would investigate. I didn?t wait for an answer; I took my kid, my dog and got into a cab right away. Told the driver to take us to where it did not smell like gas as I was getting nauseous and with a bad headache. He said it would be pretty hard as the whole city smelled like this?.On the radio they were saying that some people were vomiting and complaining of headaches. Even my daughter?s school is closed because of this. Here is what I heard so far; that it was a gas leak from Haina?s refinery or another one around KM 10. Is this true? Anybody else heard something?

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
hi juanita,

the strong smell after Mercaptan in Santo Domingo comes most likely from the Dominican oil refinery, but the president of the refinery, Arístides Fernández Zucco, denies it.

quote from a german website:
The capital Santo Domingo woke up at the Monday morning with a strong smell after Mercaptan, a substance, which is added the liquid gas and the butangas. This situation released alarm and confusion with the population. Hundreds of telephone calls were received at the Monday morning at the fire-brigade, police and with the civil defense from different sectors of the southern part of the national district, in order to inform over the strong smell.

cu
stefan.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
The funny thing, "tipico Dominicano" when I called the firefighters they told me "we advise people not to light any matches"...ahahhaha only in DR!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When I woke up I thought someone had packed rotting onions into one of our boxes. Chirimoyito was sent home from school today.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
When I woke up I thought someone had packed rotting onions into one of our boxes. Chirimoyito was sent home from school today.

The official story is that the Haina Refinery was purging early today tanks filled with methyl mercaptan, the foul smelling stuff added to LPG in order to detect it, since LPG is odorless. However, the President of the Refinery denies this. Someone is lying, guess who?