Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Sosua Gym Lowers Price

    Effective today, there are new prices at the Golden Park Gym. Only upstairs, where the free weights and muscle building machines are, is RD$500/month. For both downstairs, where treadmills and elipses are, and upstairs, the price is now RD700/month.

    More important as far as I am concerned, they will now keep the airconditioning running. Additionally, the air conditioner has been moved from above the reception desk to the wall where the treadmills are.

    Besides wanting to get back some of the clients who left after left price increase, or because the airconditioning was off too much of the time, I'm sure they are thinking about all the new gyms in Sosua and Cabarate that are supposedly going to be opened. Frankly, I don't think that opening a new gym is a good investment opportunity, especially now that Golden Park has reduced its prices and promised to keep the AC running. I sure wouldn't want to be buying the equipment needed for a new gym and paying the rent and electricity charges, etc., if you have to undercut the Golden Park Gym in order to get clients.

    Golden Park has done a lot of painting and fixing up lately, to the point where it looks very good. And now with the new prices and the promise of keeping the AC running, it is a formidable competitor for any newcomer to beat.

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New Gyms in Sosua/Cabarete?????

    Anybody know where the new gyms are supposed to be?

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is anew gym in Sosua that is supposed to open in about a month. I do not know if this is “Dominican Time” or real time. It is located behind what was formerly Bancredito Bank. It is down the street from the small Playero.

    From what I understand the owner is the former owner of the gym that was destroyed by the Earthquake a few years ago. He is Italian. I am sure they will undercut Golden Park gym’s price. They are advertising a Spa and Jacuzzi also.

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKY
    There is anew gym in Sosua that is supposed to open in about a month. I do not know if this is “Dominican Time” or real time. It is located behind what was formerly Bancredito Bank. It is down the street from the small Playero.

    From what I understand the owner is the former owner of the gym that was destroyed by the Earthquake a few years ago. He is Italian. I am sure they will undercut Golden Park gym’s price. They are advertising a Spa and Jacuzzi also.
    SKY, the person talking about that gym is an American who has been in the sale of gym equipment in the US. I understand he is rethinking his options now that he has gotten more experience with life in the DR. I'm told he first was interested in opening a gym in Sea Horse Ranch, but that didn't materialize. He was thinking talking about a gym behind the former bank for people willing to pay a higher price for plusher facilities than are offered by the Golden Park. Personally, I'll be very surprised, if that gym opens, if it undercuts the Golden Park.
    Last edited by Ken; 10-25-2005 at 08:19 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    SKY, the person talking about that gym is an American who has been in the sale of gym equipment in the US. I understand he is rethinking his options now that he has gotten more experience with life in the DR. I'm told he first was interested in opening a gym in Sea Horse Ranch, but that didn't materialize. He was thinking talking about a gym behind the former bank for people willing to pay a higher price for plusher facilities than are offered by the Golden Park. Personally, I'll be very surprised, if that gym opens, if it undercuts the Golden Park.

    In love with Golden park? or other interest in it? Golden Gym sucks and always good with competition...

  6. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DR Mpe
    In love with Golden park? or other interest in it? Golden Gym sucks and always good with competition...
    No, not in love and no interest in Golden Park. When the second gym opened a few years ago, I was a member until the building was damaged by the earthquake.

    If somebody else opens a gym, I'll look it over. But I think anybody trying to open a gym is going to have tough going, especially now that GP has dropped its price and is keeping the AC going. The pool of potential clients is not large, and the higher the price, the smaller it is.

    As far as GP gym is concerned, I think they have done a lot over the past year or two to spruce it up. They have a surprisingly large number of machines for a small town and have refurbished them within the past year.

    I don't think it sucks and would be very interested to know your reasons for saying it does.

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just hope the GPG dosen't run that Aircondition to hard. Just hate it when I come in, good warmed up, and it's like a freezer upstairs, can almost feel the "gripe" comming, it's defenitly not good for the health. Besides that GPG is pretty good.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,035
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Effective today, there are new prices at the Golden Park Gym. Only upstairs, where the free weights and muscle building machines are, is RD$500/month. For both downstairs, where treadmills and elipses are, and upstairs, the price is now RD700/month.

    More important as far as I am concerned, they will now keep the airconditioning running. Additionally, the air conditioner has been moved from above the reception desk to the wall where the treadmills are.

    Besides wanting to get back some of the clients who left after left price increase, or because the airconditioning was off too much of the time, I'm sure they are thinking about all the new gyms in Sosua and Cabarate that are supposedly going to be opened. Frankly, I don't think that opening a new gym is a good investment opportunity, especially now that Golden Park has reduced its prices and promised to keep the AC running. I sure wouldn't want to be buying the equipment needed for a new gym and paying the rent and electricity charges, etc., if you have to undercut the Golden Park Gym in order to get clients.

    Golden Park has done a lot of painting and fixing up lately, to the point where it looks very good. And now with the new prices and the promise of keeping the AC running, it is a formidable competitor for any newcomer to beat.
    Sucks, maybe to hard word,... but I got a cold everytime I went. Ok, now tell me the reason why you do not want a new gym to open? Read your post above again...

  9. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,268
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I never said I did not want another gym to open. What I said was that I wouldn't want to be the one financing a new gym when I had to compete against GPG with its present prices and with the AC running. But if somebody is willing to gamble, I will certainly take a look at what is offered, what is charged, and make a decision based on that.

    When the former second Sosua gym opened about 4 years ago, I joined immediately because GPG really did suck at that time. But that gym is gone, a casualty of the earthquake, and GPG has done a lot to improve its appearance and quality. And they have a surprising assortment of machines, with at least 2 for every muscle group. The second gym, when it was open, wasn't as well equipped, and I have heard that the gym in Cabarete isn't, either.

    The pool of potential members is not large. At this point in time, I would rather be the owner of GPG than the owner of a gym that I had heavily invested in and have to compete against GPG.

    I don't know how long it has been, DR Mpe since you were at the gym, or how often you go there, and I don't know why you should get a cold. It certainly shouldn't be from the AC, since it has been off far more than it has been on--to the point where a number of expats dropped out. Getting them back is one of the reason why they have promised to keep the AC running.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •