Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Nearest BusStation to Santiago airport?

    Which is the nearest Bus Station to Santiago airport that has buses to Santo domingo?and how long does the ride usually take?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Caribe Tours has the most buses to SD; one leaves hourly. To SD from Santiago is about 2.5 hours

  3. #3
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It may be better to go to La Vega and catch the Caribe Tour bus there.

  4. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    It may be better to go to La Vega and catch the Caribe Tour bus there.
    The only problem, Rocky, is that he may have to wait in La Vega for a bus that has room. There are almost always seats on the next bus in Santiago, especially at the main terminal, but in La Vega you wait for a bus that has room for you.

  5. #5
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    The only problem, Rocky, is that he may have to wait in La Vega for a bus that has room. There are almost always seats on the next bus in Santiago, especially at the main terminal, but in La Vega you wait for a bus that has room for you.
    Good point, Ken.
    I didn't think of that.
    I've been spoiled too long with my own wheels.

  6. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also if the OP goes to caribe tours in santiago. The one closer to the airport, there is also metro station right down the block so you have twice as much chance of getting on a bus.

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafael
    Also if the OP goes to caribe tours in santiago. The one closer to the airport, there is also metro station right down the block so you have twice as much chance of getting on a bus.
    Since you want a bus that will take you to Santo Domingo, I recommend that you go to the main terminal of Caribe Tours in Santiago because that is where the buses going from Santiago to Santo Domingo have the maximum number of empty seats because that is where most passengers board and dismount. If you were going to Sosua or Puerto Plata, for example, chances are good of getting a seat and the other stop in Santiago, but to go to Santo Domingo, I recommend the main terminal.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1) Take a taxi to Calle Maimon in Santiago. On one corner you have Metro Bus, they have buses leaving every hour for Santo Domingo
    2) On the other corner, you have Caribe Tours, And, yes, they have buses leaving from their station every hour, too.
    3) The reason for going here is that you leave straight to Santo Domingo and from the main CAribe Tour terminal you will have to get on the bus, travel for 20 minutes across town to the Maimon St. terminal, and then wait for the people to get on and then go to Sto Dgo.
    4) The trip to Santo Domingo is 1.5 hours long...

    Two question:
    a) What time do you arrive?
    b) Where are you going in Santo Domingo

    Question "a" will let me tell you what time your buses leave--assuming a decent amount of time from arrival-immigration and customs + taxi to the station. And also let us know if it is a peak hour when seats might be hard to come by.
    Question "B' will let us check which bus line is perhaps a bit better suited for you, since one is closer to downtown Sto Dgo and the other is closer to some of the hotels..

    HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 10-29-2005 at 09:44 AM.

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Since you want a bus that will take you to Santo Domingo, I recommend that you go to the main terminal of Caribe Tours in Santiago because that is where the buses going from Santiago to Santo Domingo have the maximum number of empty seats because that is where most passengers board and dismount. If you were going to Sosua or Puerto Plata, for example, chances are good of getting a seat and the other stop in Santiago, but to go to Santo Domingo, I recommend the main terminal.
    Good points. If I am traveling solo I go to the caribe tours station that I am closest to. If I am traveling with someone else, and we would want to sit together I follow your idea of going to the first stop.

    It has been rare that I find no seats available at all. One time heading from SDQ to STI I did have to wait 1.5 hours but that was a holiday weekend and I was traveling with 2 others.

  10. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As someone who frequently goes to Santo Domingo by Caribe Tours bus, passing through Santiago enroute, of the two stations that Caribe Tours has in Santiago, I think the main terminal is the better choice if you are making the trip on that company's bus.

    But the proximity of Metro to the other terminal is significant, so for that reason it probably doesn't make much difference which Caribe Terminal you go to since you will probably get one company's bus or the other. But if it is peak time, then you should check Metro first because Caribe Tours will likely have filled up at the main terminal.

    Additionally, I should clarify that the ride from the main terminal to the other does not take 20 minutes, and unlike the main terminal where the buses passing through make a rest stop for snacks and bathroom use, loading at the other terminal is a matter of a couple of minutes.

    Rafael is correct about when traveling with another person that you want to sit with. I don't know anything about Metro in Santiago, but I do know that by the time the Caribe Tours bus gets to the Maimon stop that there is zero chance of getting 2 seats together.
    Last edited by Ken; 10-29-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •