Living in DR - Working & Getting Married

Franceska

May 29, 2005
Hola everyone!

I need some info regarding working, living and getting married in DR (eventually that is!)

I have family members & a wondeful boyfriend in DR. I've been 6 times since January and I only have until March 06 to wait for until I move there for good. God knows how much I look forward to that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm from Canada by the way...

Now regarding work - I need a Working Visa until I can get my Permanent Res. over there right? Is it hard to get it? What uf I can't get it? If someone can tell me how to proceed or their own experience with that, would be nice to know before I start the whole thing.

When & How can I get my Permanent Res. card once I'm there?

About getting married - Ok one day I will definitely get married and was wondering how complicated it is? Do I get the Citizenship? What about my Canadian Citizenship, do I have something to do in order to keep it? What about my future husband, is it complicated for him to come with me to visit Canada? I don't plan on coming back here so there's no need for him to get the Canadian Citizenship or Residency but how could we tried in the event that we would like to?

Well hope someone can give me a little more info on all that...
Most of all, regarding the working visa as it is the most important!

Muchas gracias!!
Franceska

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
A lot of information can be found by clicking the tabs at the top of this page. Clicking "Legal" will take you to a page with a whole section on Migration. Clicking "Living" will give you answers on living in the DR.

Regarding you "What about my future husband, is it complicated for him to come with me to visit Canada?" question, I think from your other thread, you know it is very difficult. (Although hopefully you will prove us all wrong on October 27th).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First take off the rose colored glasses.
Next, reat Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for dating a Dominican.
Next forget ever getting your b-f to Canada. It will never, ever happen.

Next, forget about a work visit. You'll have enough trouble getting a job in the first place. Of course if you do get a job you can start supporting your b-f, I suppose.

Next, make a date with the local (Canadian) psychiatry office and have your head examined.

Rough? Yes, I suppose, but I'll bet that every person that has read your post is thinking the same thing....

HB :ermm: :ermm:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
As for working visa, what are you planning to work with?

You can apply ( you don´t "get" ) for a residency once you get here. There are many lawyers assisting in that. The cost is around 1000 - 1500 US and usually includes the paperwork, medical test etc. Once it is ready, you and the lawyer goes to Santo Domingo and get it.

You always keep your Canadian citizenship.

Visits for Dominican Boyfriends are out of the question.
He will not get a visa to Canada.

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
Hillbilly, can you post the link to the three golden rules. I did a search but wasn't able to find where you posted them. Oh, and by the way, that was a great post. I am pulling myself off the floor for laughing too hard.....lol.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
HB is our wiseman:

Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for getting serious with a Resort worker or any other Dominican for that matter:

1) He has a bank account equal to your own-in pesos, not dollars or pounds (You have 100 pounds, he has 100 pesos, that's all.). He has a Credit Card and can write a cheque.
2) He has a Visa to travel to the US or Canada
3) He is educated to the equivalent of your own level: High School, Tech School whatever.....
If there is a "no" to any one of these, then essentially you are wasting your time

Link: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33125

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
I just found the link after you posted it. Thanks for posting it. I noticed in the advanced search that others were also looking for it.

Peace,
Mark

TorreCellini

Oct 17, 2005
Is she out of her mind to leave Canada to come to live and work in the DR.

Canada is so much better in terms of everything. What is wrong with her?????????????

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
TorreCellini said:

Canada is so much better in terms of everything. What is wrong with her?????????????

I live and work here, as do many others, so that by itself doesn?t need to wrong, if you?ve done your homework.
I am orginally from Sweden, a way much richer country in some aspects, in others absolutely not.;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
TorreCellini said:
If shes young and has no responsibilities, I say why not experiment with living in the DR. Also, she says she has family in the DR, so hopefully she has some support system (although depending on the family, it could be the opposite of a support system).

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
carina said:
HB is our wiseman:

Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for getting serious with a Resort worker or any other Dominican for that matter:

1) He has a bank account equal to your own-in pesos, not dollars or pounds (You have 100 pounds, he has 100 pesos, that's all.). He has a Credit Card and can write a cheque.
2) He has a Visa to travel to the US or Canada
3) He is educated to the equivalent of your own level: High School, Tech School whatever.....
If there is a "no" to any one of these, then essentially you are wasting your time

Link: http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33125
What if he has a bigger bank account and more education?
Would it also be wrong if he was the one potentially lowering himself?

Piso Mojado

*** Sock-puppet ***
Oct 19, 2005
Hola, Franceska:

You are so lucky to have a Dominican man that you are so enamored with. Follow you heart and marry him!

Once you do, remember that you are the one that is from Canada. He can only wish. But you can tell him no! I'm not going back to the frozen tundra of hockey and...whatever else Canada is good for. I'm going to stay in the DR and enjoy the life that you have brought to me.

He will then invite you to stay in his parent's house until he has made his way. You will become the gringa that might be the path to the family's greater fortune. Relish your role and be sure to respect his manhood.

The family will love you. Enjoy your DR life.

Cuidado,
Piso Mojado

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Pib said:
My husband is from Denmark (which is better than Sweden) and lives here and he seems to be doing OK.

Of course I posted this just to tease Carina.

Haha... But yes, Denmark has nice pastries and the Carlsberg beer is fine...;)
Otherwise I don?t know....hehe

BUT I do now, as we both are here, me and your husband, DR is the best for us!;)

Franceska

May 29, 2005
I can't believe you guys (not all of you that is!)...
What I wanted were "INFORMATIONS" on how to proceed regarding working permit first of all.

Do I need one or not if I am to work in DR (no matter in what field)?
If I do, is it hard to get? How can I get it before leaving?

THEN, I am in love right now allright. I am not going to get married now, nor in 1 year! But one day, I will and it will surely be with a Dominican because I will be there. ONCE I get married, as my husband, will it not be possible for him to come visit my family here?

Allright now to all of those who will be negative and tell me about these stupid things such as Rules for dating a Dominican or whatever else, don't even waste time replying to me. You don't know me, you don't know my boyfriend & you don't know my family there. I am getting info regarding these topics and I am using this site to do so. If you think Canada is so much better, well I'm happy for you & stay in Canada. But I don't & I will go to DR.

Thanks in advance to those who will give me more info =)
Franceska

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Franceska said:

I think the bottom line relative to working in the DR is, unless you have some exceptional skills, there is little point in looking for a job in the DR. For the most part, you could make more money working in Canada for 6 months than you could make in the DR in 10 years.

To put this in perspective, the maid in the Casa where I stay is paid $RD 180per day. This equates (at the current exchange rate) to between $US 5-6 per day.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, stay in Canada for a little longer, save some money, then move to the DR.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Malibook said:
What if he has a bigger bank account and more education?
Would it also be wrong if he was the one potentially lowering himself?
What do you suppose the odds are of that knowing what you do about these boys? Want to bet that the family she refers to is his family? That one is a great scam.

Now I could be wrong of course but then again, the weather may be beach weather in NY tomorrow.

What do you think?

Escott

Franceska

May 29, 2005
Here's what I keep thinking :

Dominicans who live there, they work to pay their house, food, childs etc... What job do they have? Would it be SO MUCH difficult to get one of these jobs? If they manage to get enough money to have a house and food then why couldn't I?

By the way, it's my aunt who lives there so the family I am refering to is mine. But yes I do consider his family to be my family too.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Franceska said:
I can't believe you guys (not all of you that is!)...
What I wanted were "INFORMATIONS" on how to proceed regarding working permit first of all.

If I do, is it hard to get? How can I get it before leaving?

THEN, I am in love right now allright. I am not going to get married now, nor in 1 year! But one day, I will and it will surely be with a Dominican because I will be there. ONCE I get married, as my husband, will it not be possible for him to come visit my family here?

Allright now to all of those who will be negative and tell me about these stupid things such as Rules for dating a Dominican or whatever else, don't even waste time replying to me. You don't know me, you don't know my boyfriend & you don't know my family there. I am getting info regarding these topics and I am using this site to do so. If you think Canada is so much better, well I'm happy for you & stay in Canada. But I don't & I will go to DR.

Thanks in advance to those who will give me more info =)
Franceska
I assume you are NOT Dominican because if you were you would probably know all the info you are asking. I am also assuming you are referring to your boyfriends family as your own. If not you would have also had the answers to your questions.

The unasked for advice has been good advice but I don't expect you to believe me or the people offering it. I am also sure you have found the "DDD" which stands for "Definately Different Dominican". All of you Canadian women who find love in the DR do of course.

You can apply for residency which costs between 800-1000 US dollars through a attorney. If you pay any more than that there is NO reason to. You can work legally as soon as you apply for the residency. You can also work illegally and not have a problem also for a limited period of time. They are NOT too big on enforcement of laws in the DR unless you are talking on a cell phone with out an earpiece and happen to pass an Amet Police.

You don't need to even bother yourself with a work visa. No your husband wont be able to travel with you even after you are married. Problem is that too many Dominican Men marry so they don't have to jump on a YOLA to Puerto Rico. Of course yours is a "DDD" so no need to worry about that of course.

Hope I have been helpful in your quest.

Escott