Taking Minor Children to Dom. Rep.

lygriffin

Oct 26, 2005
Can anyone help me with this: My husband and I are going on vacation with our daughter (6) and my stepson (16) to Punta Cana. I noticed I need some permit or form that has to be filled out for the 16 year old when leaving the Dom. Republic because both parents are not going (the biological father is, but I am the step mother. Does anyone know what this is and where I can get one? Also, does anyone know if he has to have a passport or can he use his birth certificate and photo ID like us? Thanks for anyones help.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
You need to go to the nearest Dominican consulate to get the documentation. I believe someone mentioned that you need to go with both biological parents.

Here is a recent thread on the subject:

You may want to PM La Flor, she is one of the few on this board that actually got the required papers.

Most of the veteran travelers on this board have ignored the requirement and played dumb if there was a problem with immigration in the DR. I do not advise this for someone traveling to the DR for the first time.

Last edited:

Philippa

Dec 2, 2004
my father has taken my brothers and I out of the US without my mother. before our trip my mother just writes a note that says that my father is allowed to take us out of hte country and then it is signed and stamped by a notary public. sometimes they don't check, sometimes they do.