thank god for good neighbours

mislarimar

Nov 19, 2004
www.adventuretour.net
This morging at 5:15 we were woken up by a gunshot closeby.
A few minits later our neighbour was standing outside the gate with a handgun and seconds later the police arrived with 2 cars.
Appearently our neighbour saw that our house was about to get broken into.
Two guys where on the balcony and the third was already at the door.
We didn't hear anything and just woke up from all the commotion because our neighbour had shot his gun in the air to scare the burglars away.
Thank god they ran away and didn't get into our house.they got away but atleast we are all safe.
Thanks to our neighbour who gets up at 5 to get ready for work.
Waaaaw,i can tell you guys that is one rude waking up with gunshots and police.

But we are all safe and sound.
The police said that burglaries for money often happen more iff christmass is coming because they need the money.
And we were thinking christmas was a time of peace and love........

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
In The Bahamas, in the two months leading up to Christmas, armed robberies, house invasions, and home burglaries go up 300% from normal rates.

It is probably similar here.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Shabrina glad you are all safe and sound!!!! It is more dangerous as Christmas approaches! Please be careful.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Can Tell You Something Very Important!

If they came once,they may very likely come back again!..And Soon!
Gun toting neighbor not withstanding!
More than likely they chose your house for a reason,and possibly only after surveiling you for some time,or having inside information.
Take whatever means you need to secure your house! If you don't have metal bars on all your entrances,I would get them very soon! Lights and "Noise" deter criminaals.Put up outside flood lights,better if equiped with motion detectors which turn on the lights if there is "movement".One cheap
way to scare away burgulars,and let your neighbors know you need help,it a "Emergency Boat Horn".A small can of compressed air with a horn on top.LOUD AS HELL!Must be available at boating supply dealers.Also get a big "Machete" and keep it sharp.When the "hand" comes through the window,"Chop It OFF!"
Good Luck!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I completely agree with Criss - they will be probably be back sometime within the next one to two weeks. They have spotted a weakness and will exploit it if you can't find it and fix it. Please be very careful, home invasions while people are sleeping seem to be on the rise and it was lucky your neighbor was willing and able to help you out but he might not be around next time.

L

LarrySpencer

Criss Colon said:
More than likely they chose your house for a reason,and possibly only after surveiling you for some time,or having inside information.
Also get a big "Machete" and keep it sharp.When the "hand" comes through the window,"Chop It OFF!"

That's funny....only because the same thing happened at my wife's parents house last year. The machete worked wonders. He missed most of the guys hand, but just enough to leave a pretty good blood trail.

Here's another option..Small, battery powered alarms are available. There are several different kinds on the market, with motion detectors and the magnetic type. When the alarms go off, they sould like those like those little personal alarms that people can wear...the ones with that really annoying, and super loud, alarm - the kind that makes you want to grap your ears and run out of the room.

Another option that I haven't seen much of here is why not start neighborhood watch programs with citizen patrols at night. If two or three neighbors walk around with those boat horns....and a machete or course...They'll be pretty much read for anything...and it can be done in shifts. I'm sure plenty of volunteers would come out if offered. The police would love it too.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Most people, if Sabrina still lives in the Torre Alta area, have watchmen at night, usually Haitians.
They also have a few dogs outside.
They have it for a reason, unfortunately.
Christmas season here, as Conchman stated, is a peakseason for thiefs, and the season starts as soon as you see the glitter for sale in the shops.

SO yes, make sure you have steelbars everywhere, get yourself a watchman for the nighthours. And a dog or 2.
Also make sure there are lamps/lights around your house, and keep a few lights on at night inside as well.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
No Machetes, get yourself a .45ACP, turn off the lights, leave the door ajar, sit in a chair and wait. Trust me you'll be doing your community a favor.
"If you are found here tonight, you will be found here tomorrow"

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You can also put some signs on the gates of your fence (if you have a house) or from your windows or doors.

Usually, a sign that says:
Peligro, aqui hay perros bravisimos, pueden atacar y matar gente.

Another would be:
Esta casa esta protegida con alarma moderna.

Or:
Aqui todos tenemos pistolas y escopetas y la sabemos usar.

Anything that would create some fear in whomever might try to break in is always a good idea for putting up as signs.

Couple this with some of the other suggestions here and you should be well protected.

Additionally, I would suggest for you and your family to take Tai Kwon Do classes or Karate. It's a healthy sport, helps release stress, and can come in handy in certain situations.

-NAL

May 12, 2005
Two best things for home defense, a big dog with a big bark and a shotgun. The sound of you "racking" a round into the chamber will certainly get anyone's attention and maybe even make them soil their pants.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
No Machetes, get yourself a .45ACP, turn off the lights, leave the door ajar, sit in a chair and wait. Trust me you'll be doing your community a favor.
"If you are found here tonight, you will be found here tomorrow"
LOL....LOL...good one ricardo that one threw me off guard (Laughing my azz off):nervous: I can only imagine her standing there like Clint Eastwood...ready to mole these punks down...LOL!:nervous:

Last edited:

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
A little malinois like mine. If he gets a bite the guy will never walk again. Bites on the knee and shakes his head. He has already put 2 decoys in hospital and those guys were wearing full protective clothing ( Trousers and jacket combine a total off about 20 kg)

Greetings

Johan

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I thoroughly agree with Helden........"a little malinois" But where do you get one in the DR??? Could be a business opportunity.

Our yappy chihuahua gets the Rotty and the shepard to wake up. The little cocker is too young to know she is supposed to be a guard dog and my very, very old Viralatus Dominicus is still recovering from a serious digestive problem.....SO YAPPY is better and that little malinois could be a good acquisition.

In fact, this thread has some excellent suggestions......even CRISS' ...

Of course "Protected by Mr Smith and Mr Wesson" or "Dan Wesson is my protector" are good signs, too.

And the whle thing got me to thinking....better check out the house and make sure..

HB (thinking)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Hillbilly said:
I thoroughly agree with Helden........"a little malinois" But where do you get one in the DR??? Could be a business opportunity.

HB (thinking)

I'm in the proces of selling some property in Belgium and if that is done succesfully (hopefully within the next 4 months or so) i'll be moving to the DR with My Fully trained mal, a young one that has still 55 days in the monthers belly and a pregnat female. One of the first things i'll be doing is starting a trainingcentre Belgian Ring=Policedogtraining.
If things work out i'll be importing on a regular basis Pregnant Females from the best workinglines possible and thus providing a stock off excellent dogs for the (South/central/north etc)American trainers and also a place under the sun to train and follow training seminars

Greetings

Johan