Hurricane Alpha and deaths in DR

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
From today's Washington Post

Tropical Storm Alpha Kills 26 in Haiti, Dominican Republic
Thursday, October 27, 2005; Page A05, Reuters

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Oct. 26 -- Tropical Storm Alpha brought torrential rains that killed 26 people in Haiti and the Dominican Republic this week, days after Hurricane Wilma also caused death and destruction in the countries, officials said Wednesday.

Alpha, the 22nd named tropical cyclone of the Atlantic hurricane season, drenched the two countries, which share the Caribbean island of Hispaniola, on Monday and caused flash floods that swept away people, houses and animals.

Mountainous Haiti, where 17 people were reported killed, is especially vulnerable to floods and mudslides because much of the impoverished country has been stripped of trees by desperately poor people whose main source of fuel is charcoal. Nine people died in the Dominican Republic, officials said. Six of the Dominican deaths occurred in the coastal province of Puerto Plata, in the north, when a river broke its banks.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/26/AR2005102602163.html

Jun 5, 2004
I dont know through satelites and things it looked like if the hurricane didnt do that much damage. Yet I hear about so many tragerdies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
apdomini100max said:
I dont know through satelites and things it looked like if the hurricane didnt do that much damage. Yet I hear about so many tragerdies.
Well, the wind was not bad at all, in fact it felt like a regular rain storm.

But, the extra water certainly was not needed. It has been raining alot lately, so everywhere along the rivers was prone to some flooding.

As usual, the people who live in the slums along the edge of the river were the one's who were affected the most by this storm.

-NAL

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It was never a hurricane, in fact, it barely made tropical storm winds (by 5mph) so it was really a tropical depression. But I'm sure thats no consolation to the people who lost relatives due to flooding.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
After the DR gets Baninter II completed ...ahh sorry, the Metro, then they can tackle a proper drainage and sewer system. A well placed 'Katrina' could cut the population in half in a matter of 72 hours. Hell, a moderate rain storm will consistently flood main roads/highways.

The "technology" for it has only been around 4,000 years, I'm sure the price has dropped more than the VCR's did, by now.

Is the "island off the island" a bigger priority?

Today's news stories read like it's ground hog day. April 1st over and over again.

Last edited: