Visits from Children

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Can anyone help. I am moving to the DR in March from the UK. I would like my children to visit me once i am settled. They are 18, 16, & 13. Their father has full legal custody (in th UK). I really dont want my ex husband to have bring them over as he can be abusive (1 of reasons i am leaving). They all have their own passports. Would it be possible for them to travel without and further documents?

Advice welcome.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The 13 y/o is essentially traveling with the 18 y/o adult who is not the parent, and I recall the cutoff for children is 15 so you might want to do up a letter in Spanish with the 13 (and maybe 16 y/o's, why not) names and permission from the Dad , have it notarized in the UK and attach their photos (usally glued on and the notary seals it to show that) and mention passport #'s.

Doubtful they will ask much if anything but for the one youngster this would suffice.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Please excuse my stupidity who would notarize the document. Do you mean the passport office or just a solicitor? I just want to get all the info i can before we set terms in our divorce. I want to be able for my kids to see me whenever they like - not when it suits him.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The 18 year old can move about the world whenever he pleases.

The other two kids will need a letter from the father and another one from you, along with their birth certificates and passport numbers and photographs-in color with a white background-. These documents must be notarized by a Notary Public in England and stamped by the Dominican Consulate. The letters must state with whom the children are going to be travelling.

Sometimes the Immigration officials are vigilant, sometimes (perhaps a lot of the time) they are not. Better to have all of the paperwork handy.

Does anyone else find it strange that the father got custody?????????????????

HB :ermm: :ermm:

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Custody?

Thanks for all the help - i will look into it and get things sorted as soon as i can.

As for the question "does anyone find it strange that the father got custody?"

It is not unusual in the UK. As i am moving to the DR and two of my kids are still of school age the best place for them is to be in the UK finishing their education. I have not lived with my kids since May. Despite the fact he is a complete a$$hole to me he is a good parent. The courts consider me not the best option as i want to move away and start a new life (away from the abuse) - nevermind the fact i have virtual brought them up single handed for the last 18 years !!!! Sorry just had to get that rant of my chest !!!!

Hope that clears up anyones curiosity.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
crazydaisy said:
I want to be able for my kids to see me whenever they like - not when it suits him.
As two of the children are minors and the father has "full legal custody", it's not up to them, it is when it suits him. Maybe you could have still left your husband and remained nearer your children?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Since you brought it up and I try not to judge but I'm putting myself in your position, why in the world would you leave your 13 and 15 year old behind?

I have a hard time at the thought of leaving my married children and living in the DR.

Well actually it's the 3 grandkids I'd hate to miss out on.

If it's for a man I sure hope he's worth it.

Good luck

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Many reasons

There are many reasons - most of which i would not go into on public forum. Some of the reasons i have trouble getting my head round.

But believe me im not moving for a man !!!!

I moving for myself - is that selfish? Probably yes. No strike that - a clear YES. We are all entitled to a happy life - i have had 22 years of exsisting - NOW i want to start living.

Only one thing really gets my goat about this situation - when i discuss it with people you can see in their eyes that they are thinking how could a mother leave her kids. OK how many times does a father leave his kids and no one bats an eyelid. As in most of life's situations - its smacks hard of double standards.

Once again many thanks to all for your thoughts and advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Did you know that the kids can get a fine education here?

I suppose that the father is obliged to pay what might be called "child support" for the minor children until they are 18. IF this is the case they would be far better off here with you than in Merry Ol' England....really.

You have a good case, but if the children are important to you than you could have them here where they are safe....You might consider it...

And, along with evry other person that has perused this thread, we all breathed a sigh of relief to know that you are not coming here to persue a piece of meat...

HB, who really wishes you the best of luck..BTW, do you know where you are going to live?

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
I think delving into someones personal situation is a bit out of order. This lady obviously loves her children and is investigating the options open to them with regard to visiting.

If she had told you she was moving them all to the DR - she would have been slammed - can anyone win???

Anyway, best of luck crazydaisy! Good to hear that you have been able to move on from an abusive relationship and start life again. Its never easy and many abused women aren't so lucky as to escape. My thoughts and best wishes are with you.

Hope some of the others can see the other side to this story ...

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
The children dont really want to live out here - leave all their friends and social circle. As i said before - their father is a good parent its only me he has a problem with. Maybe once im settled and have my own apartment (i will be sharing to start with) i will consider asking them to join me, but in all honesty i dont think they would want to come. They are very happy living with their father at the moment, maybe thats because i see them nearly everyday - i dont know?

Only time will tell.

I will be living in Puerto Plata to start with - once i get a car and brace myself for driving everyday in the DR LOL - i would love to move to either Sousa or Cabarette. This depends on how much i earn or more to the piont how much i have left at end of each month as to whether i could justify the money in extra gas to get to my place of work.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well all the best to you Daisy....you've picked a pretty fair place to start.

Good Luck.

HB :D:D (really)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
crazydaisy said:
Please excuse my stupidity who would notarize the document. Do you mean the passport office or just a solicitor? I just want to get all the info i can before we set terms in our divorce. I want to be able for my kids to see me whenever they like - not when it suits him.

Normally to notarize something one goes to a notary. I am sure a solicitor in the UK will be equivalent or a Commisioner of Oaths, etc.

I suspect as well adding a slew of crimped on seals (even better those red wax seals), stamps, maybe a ribbon or two etc., and in Spanish to boot, will impress the micgracion guys no end, if they ask for any paperwork - but the true belt and suspenders approach is to then go to the DR consulate and have them add a few stamps and flourishes of their own.

Wiki data: RE; the sticky notary wicket:

Significant weight attaches to documents certified by notaries. Documents certified by notaries are sealed with the notary's seal and are recorded by the notary in a register maintained by him/her. These are known as "notarial acts". Notarial acts and certificates are recognised in countries of the British Commonwealth and some other countries without the need for any further certification from the respective Foreign Ministry or foreign diplomatic missions. (In countries subscribing to the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents only one further act of certification is required, known as an apostille).

Notaries in England

In England there are three classes of notaries. Scrivener notaries, who get their name from the Scriveners' Company, are the only notaries permitted to practise in the City of London. Due to their geographical proximity to many civil law countries, scrivener notaries are only appointed after five years articles to a practising notary. Scrivener notaries must be fluent in one or two foreign languages and be familiar with the principles and practice of foreign law.

The other two classes of notaries in England are qualified solicitors who only practise outside the City and non-legally qualified persons who satisfy the Master of Faculties of the Archbishop of Canterbury that they possess an adequate understanding of the law. Both the latter two categories are required to pass examinations set by the Master of Faculties.

Last edited:

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Thanks hillbilly xx

And thanks Saskia for understanding. I hopefully can move forward and make a positive being to a new life. I know it wont be easy but i am prepared that things will be sent to try my patience and sanity. Not at least the driving over there LOL

XX

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
WOW thanks Rick !!!!! I will read and inwardly digest.

If all else fails - i will return back to UK and pick them up - a bit of chore but well worth it if i get to see my kids without him. It will mean 4 flights in 14 or so days - start saving my airmiles !!!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
CrazyDaisy, where are you moving to here on the island? Have you desided that yet?
I live in Puerto Plata, and have a 14 yr old son.

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Not sure actually where just yet - will be sharing with a friend who is goin over in February i will joining her on March 6th all being well. She has lived in the DR before so hopefully she will showing my the ropes. I have been over to DR a few times now and seen the real DR - not just stayed on the AI complexes.

How does your son find it in the DR - or was he born there?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Good luck to you, and if you need any assistance in Puerto Plata, just send me a pm.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
So you all know, I have met and gotten to know crazydaisy. I totally understand what she is doing and why. She is what she says she is!

I am sure she will do just fine here. I'm looking forward to introducing her to many of you who regularly post here.

Carina we will all meet for coffee in March!!!! LOL