In Dc....

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Carolinas restaurant 14th & Spring NW, DC (day time visits only suggested)

The owners of Carolinas just took over Primos restaurant in MD--I haven't been there but I heard it was kicking.

Julitas Restaurant Riggs Rd and University St (I think) MD

Safeway in Columbia Heights Btwn 17th and 18th st. NW, DC

Langley Park (University St & New Hampshire St), MD

That corner bodega DEFINITELY at Irving STand either Mt. Pleasant or 17th NW, DC (mad cheap too)

Latin American Market (Riggs and MD-410/E-W HWY) - you can even get Lemisol there...LOL

There are more but that's a good place to start off the top.

concon_quemao said:
in dc... where do i get longaniza... pastelitos... quipe... arrepa de yuca... relleno de papa?
:ermm:

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
deelt said:
Latin American Market (Riggs and MD-410/E-W HWY) - you can even get Lemisol there...LOL

hahahaha, too funny! Gotta keep it fresh ladies;) !

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Yes, get your quipes and Lemisol in the same spot!!

Yes ladies, you need to wash that ying-yang, keep it nice and clean.....

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Jon

Mind YOUR business and get your head out of there...and before you jump at the double entendre, by that I mean let's change the subject....LOL

Concon -
I just discovered an off the hook Caribbean Market called just that...Caribbean Market near New Hampshire St and Holton St. (It's a few meters from the Aldi's.) There you can get oxtail, longaniza and all that.

Caribbean Delight is another one in Adelphi, MD.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
LOL! It is...I knew where I was at when I had to get my Presidente served in a plastic cup because no bottles are served after the sun goes down....LOL!
Even in the daylight it can be a little precarious, yes even after church. The Ethiopians that roll up in there always order their Dominican food as take out. LOL Gotta love DC. Welcome!

Primos is more high class. The son of Esteban (the owner) was telling aout his plans when he was changing my car battery. I think the energy there is v. different. The food is a mixture of Colombian and Dominican food. If I were sticking around I would definitely go.

D

concon_quemao said:
deelt said:
Carolinas restaurant 14th & Spring NW, DC (day time visits only suggested)

i passed thru there at night and i thought it was an aventura video!

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Also.

Manna restaurant on Flower & Piny branch aves. in Takoma park, Maryland, serve several "especiales" for $6.00. Food's good, ambiance's bad with a constant, Presidente drinking, group of locos debating politics. Best to order "to go".

Julita's is at the corner of Riggs and Sargeant rds. in Langley park, Md. It's a much nicer place to bring your family and eat in. Cuisine is not strictly DR, it serves Mex. & Salvadorean mostly. No alcohol served. Not bad, though.

concon_quemao

Oct 28, 2005
lostinthemetro.blogspot.com
Don Juan said:
Julita's is at the corner of Riggs and Sargeant rds. in Langley park, Md. It's a much nicer place to bring your family and eat in. Cuisine is not strictly DR, it serves Mex. & Salvadorean mostly. No alcohol served. Not bad, though.

i saw a menu for julita's and i saw taco salad.. and i looked on the cover and it had a dominican flag. but one thing struck me... they had a plate of longaniza and tostones for $11.. i though tit was a joke..

concon_quemao

Oct 28, 2005
lostinthemetro.blogspot.com
Don Juan said:
What's LEMISOL?

1134290.jpg

A refreshing, antiseptic and antibacterial solution, for a woman's most intimate hygiene as well as the whole family. Hypo-Allergenic. pH balance control. Recommended for daily hygiene use.

and now......................BABY LEMISOL

lemisol4baby.jpg

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Piensan que son "The Ritz"

concon_quemao said:
i saw a menu for julita's and i saw taco salad.. and i looked on the cover and it had a dominican flag. but one thing struck me... they had a plate of longaniza and tostones for $11.. i though tit was a joke..

Yeah, that's the thing that keeps me from frequenting it more often. Brought my wife and two children and cost us nearly $70 with tip. For half of that we can stuff ourselves with steak on sundays at the "Old country buffet". Very good american food. Try it.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Manna has changed

Juan
The wife that used to cook is no longer there. I think a salvadorian woman is cooking now so the quality of the food has changed from what I heard.
Also there is also much suspect activity going on that I would not encourage people to support...

Julita's I did meantion and wholeheartedly endorse. EVERYONE always makes a stop there...

Don Juan said:
Manna restaurant on Flower & Piny branch aves. in Takoma park, Maryland, serve several "especiales" for $6.00. Food's good, ambiance's bad with a constant, Presidente drinking, group of locos debating politics. Best to order "to go".

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Concon, you funny!

Show & tell, That's the way to do it! You're one great addition to DR1. Keep posting!

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Julita: The prices are high because of the randomness of the crowd. You have get from the everyday laborer to your typical DR diplomat.

This is why I like Carolinas...they have la bandera dominicana arroz, habichuela y carne and it's like $7-9. I typically like mondongo and I can get that even cheaper. The food is good and if you go at the right time you can even get some mama juana.

d
Don Juan said:
Yeah, that's the thing that keeps me from frequenting it more often. Brought my wife and two children and cost us nearly $70 with tip. For half of that we can stuff ourselves with steak on sundays at the "Old country buffet". Very good american food. Try it.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Hello Deelt!

deelt said:
Juan
The wife that used to cook is no longer there. I think a salvadorian woman is cooking now so the quality of the food has changed from what I heard.
Also there is also much suspect activity going on that I would not encourage people to support...

Julita's I did meantion and wholeheartedly endorse. EVERYONE always makes a stop there...

You're absolutely right. The Dominican lady who owned it sold it to Salvadoreans, and yes, the taste isn't what it used to be but it's still palatable & cheap. the chivo guisado still has a semblance of what we're used to. Not the real thing but,...oh well, any port in a storm.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I hear you...but exactly as a sailor clocking in to a port...you want to be careful what you pick up there if it is just a rabo guisado or un rabo guisado mal sazonado. You may get more than what you bargain for if you catch my drift. Happy sailing!

Don Juan said:
You're absolutely right. The Dominican lady who owned it sold it to Salvadoreans, and yes, the taste isn't what it used to be but it's still palatable & cheap. the chivo guisado still has a semblance of what we're used to. Not the real thing but,...oh well, any port in a storm.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Haaaah! Deelt, You haven't lost any of your wit and humor! We need to get together some day and talk. Any DR1 reunions or expat gathering coming up?
Are you still in the DC area?