Plan to stay a long time

NorthernStar

Oct 28, 2005
Hi,

next week I will arrive in Puerto Plata in an all-inclusive resort for a week. After that week I plan to stay longer, that means I do not use the return flight. Could you please help me, I am looking for a job, cheap room, are there pre-paid sim cards for my cell-phone awailable?

thanks in advance

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi NorthernStar, for how long are you staying, and what kind of job are you looking for?

Prepayed phonecards are offered by Verion and Orange, if they work on your phone, would depend on where you come from, i.e what phone you have.
You can buy them in any colmado, farmacia, supermercado etc.

Do you mean cheap room, as in the city hotels, or cheap room as renting from a local family? The later, I would recommend not to do, in aspects of safety, not knowing the people etc.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Very few rooms are offered with a/c.. more usual a fan..
Also very rare with 24 h electicity, i.e generator.

Rooms in the city are around 1000 pesos/ night.
If you stay longer you would probably need a furnished apartment.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
You can get what you are looking for at Puerto Plata Beach Resort on the Malecon. It has been called Costa Atlantica in the last few years, but I believe that they have returned to the original name. This used to be an all-inclusive resort but now it is a condo/apartment hotel.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It is 1100 pesos a night though.. If the OP plans to stay on longterm it is not a good deal.

It´s back to its old name, they have not long ago opened up the little restaurant, poolbar etc.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
You can activate your Cell Phone using sim, with Orange, but maybe your phone is blocked, so you'll have to unblocked it. Some stores can do this.

NorthernStar

Oct 28, 2005
Eddyx said:
You can activate your Cell Phone using sim, with Orange, but maybe your phone is blocked, so you'll have to unblocked it. Some stores can do this.

Hmm, mine is actually unblocked, I used in in several countries now.

Thanks so far for the answers.

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
rooms with AC

The least amount you will pay for rooms with a/c and cable in Puerto Plata is about 350 pesos per night, friges normally not included for less than 75o or more pesos per night. All depends on your budget and amenities. Stop in and say hello, we can try to help you out with housing locations and maybe provide job leads depending on what you are looking for. Joanne

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Try out Hotel Sensations near Cofresi. A room with private bath, small lounge and fridge will cost you 600 pesos per night.

John

NorthernStar

Oct 28, 2005
Hmm,

probably are rooms (even in hotels) for a monthly rent cheaper?

Really great would be Internet access.

Oh, by the way, how is it with getting a bank account and a credit card?

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The bank account is relatively easy since even tourist are able to get one. Since you don't have a job and no legal residence how many banks do you think will offer a credit card? Maybe one where you give them a deposit of the credit limit.

The job hunt may result in a job with less than $500 a month pay if that much, are you aware of that? And an employer may want you to have legal residence not a tourist card as well.

And it is very likely proficiency or fluency in Spanish since they speak Spanish there. How is your Spanish?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
NorthernStar said:
Hmm,

probably are rooms (even in hotels) for a monthly rent cheaper?

Really great would be Internet access.

Oh, by the way, how is it with getting a bank account and a credit card?

RickToronto is right. You need 1) Passport 2) 3 references (local ) 4) Letter of credit from your home bank to get an account here.
Creditcard only if you have the above AND a legal job, a local creditcard ( only valid on the island ) if you have a salary of 10.000 pesos or more.
That you will probably not have, as most jobs that you can get by just arriving are like selling tourism tours or other commissionbased jobs without a salary. Even that is hard, as the tourism season is quite low.

Hotels here are not for long term, there are studios and apartments that are furnished you can rent on a monthly basis. They are around 5000-1000 per month, depending on if electricity is included etc.
Internet is never included, but there are many internet caf?s in town.
A/C, forget it too for the price I mentioned.
There are more expensive studios, around 20.000 per month with both a/c and electricity included.
You have to look around when you are here.

Do not expect to find a job that pays your monthly expenses though.
It might, if you have experiences, speak several languages and alots of luck,
as well as if you forget about a/c etc.
Otherwise not.

NorthernStar

Oct 28, 2005
Hmm, OK I have no problems to forget about the a/c thing.

Does someone know a number, because I need a place to stay after November 10th.

NorthernStar

Oct 28, 2005
Hmm, thanks so far for the answers.

To describe it a little better:

I am looking for a little furnished appartment for 4000 to 7500 Peso a month.

It should have: fridge, TV (Satellite would be great), Fan or A/C and should be in a safe area. (Not to forget: sometimes warm water and more than 3 hours a day electricity :))

It is only for 1 person and it would be great if it is near or in Puerto Plata.

OK if you have one in Sosua or Carberete, this would be great, too.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
You are looking for a residencial, but furnished apartment.
You need to be here to find these. It is a matter of driving around, asking people on the street, at restaurants, at work etc etc.

NorthernStar

Oct 28, 2005
Hi Carina,

I am here and do what You wrote, but I try it also over the internet.

Right now I am with Joanna at Sam`s Bar