Thinking of taking a job in the DR

pbaldwin

Oct 29, 2005
I am thinking of taking a job in the DR and I would make 13,000 US a year my house would be paid. Is this something that I can live on and still put some away or would I be using all of it in day to day living. I cannot seem to find simple things like the cost of bread or the cost of a gallon of milk . Also what would the cost to buy a motorcycle there? Road conditions?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If you use the search function, you will find hundreds of threads that will answer your questions in great detail.

Can you live on it? Who knows, what's your lifestyle?
What part of the country? How old are you? What do you like to do?
Do you have family? Do you need a car? etc etc etc.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
If this is tax free I think you can live very nicely on that money. Motorcycle new 125 cc is about 1100 US dollars. Yam is the brand and are very popular here although you haven't heard of it probably.

I don't think you can save much money but you will have a real nice time.

Escott

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
If this is a job opportunity with relocation (i.e. you are very good for my company so I will bring you down here to help me) then 13000 dollars a year is not a good deal, not even if housing, utilities, transportation AND insurance (health and life) are included. The worst deal of this kind I have heard of til today is 3,500 dollars a month being paid as 50% in pesos and 50% in dollars. All of the above included, I am not sure if it was after taxes. The best deal I have heard of is 16,000 dollars a month, all living costs included, being paid 100% in a foreign bank.

For locals, 1000 dollars a month is a "good" income. As stated before, almost no possibility of savings, specially if you have been raised in a non dominican way.

Jess

pbaldwin

Oct 29, 2005
Thank you all for the info anything else that you might come up with would be apprecated I will keep checking

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
andrea9k said:
For locals, 1000 dollars a month is a "good" income. Jess

I'm not sure what planet andrea9k is living on, but $1,000 is what most "locals" in the DR would make in a YEAR!

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hi, what kind of job are you going to do? I will take it for a half and house include, jejejejeej.

good luck.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
CyaBye3015 said:
I'm not sure what planet andrea9k is living on, but $1,000 is what most "locals" in the DR would make in a YEAR!

I dont know one person having a formal job in the DR who makes 2,750 pesos a month (considering just 12 salaries, 1000 dollars = 33,000 pesos), not even my maid. My office messenger makes 3500 and works half time. But, if as you say, most locals make that amount of money then I would change my statement to... For locals, 1000 dollars a month is the "GREATEST" income.

Jess, reporting from Santo Domingo Planet.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
andrea9k said:
If this is a job opportunity with relocation (i.e. you are very good for my company so I will bring you down here to help me) then 13000 dollars a year is not a good deal, not even if housing, utilities, transportation AND insurance (health and life) are included. The worst deal of this kind I have heard of til today is 3,500 dollars a month being paid as 50% in pesos and 50% in dollars. All of the above included, I am not sure if it was after taxes. The best deal I have heard of is 16,000 dollars a month, all living costs included, being paid 100% in a foreign bank.

For locals, 1000 dollars a month is a "good" income. As stated before, almost no possibility of savings, specially if you have been raised in a non dominican way.

Jess
I don't think he was asking if it was a good deal but if he can live and save money on that salary.

Escott

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Scott dear... I never charge for the extra mile...

To PBaldwin, do you know where is this NHYM headquarters in the DR? Is it the New Horizons School in Santo Domingo? This school has a good location for someone with no transportation. Easy access from 2 major avenues.

You said house would be paid, are they going to pay for it? If so, I would ask them to find me an apartment/studio nearby.

I would not recommend a motorcycle in Santo Domingo, well, not in the DR... maybe I am too chicken...

From the description of the job you posted I would say 1,000 dollars a month + housing is a good deal depending on location. It is not the same 1000 dollars in the campo than 1000 dollars in Santo Domingo.

Is this a temporary job or a permanent one? Do you have family/friends here?

Lots of things to consider... uhm... are they paying your relocation expenses?

Anyway, if you decide to do it, best luck! You are going to love it, no doubt.

Jess

pbaldwin

Oct 29, 2005
That is correct it is in the area of Jarabacoa I do not know about relocation expences the appartment is furnished so what I would take would be minimal looking at what the shipping hassals that it is to come from the states contue to give me more info this is really helpful thanks again

crm

May 5, 2004
there is no question that you could get by on this type of money especially in jarabacoa. tell us a bit about your lifestyle expectations and the standard of life you expect and we could help you from there in terms of establishing costs

pbaldwin

Oct 29, 2005
I would want cable TV and high speed internet I would want a motorcycle (that one has been answered) would want to go out to eat 2/3 times a week not necessarily to somewhat that is expensive but the equivalent of McDonalds here in America.

pbaldwin

Oct 29, 2005
Just an update did not get the job in the DR I am working for a US company and I am loving it. (it was a great dissapointment not to get this job) Thanks to all that gave me feedback