"insult Free" Weekend On The "general Stuff Forum"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I sometimes see posts from members who say that they don't like to post because some other members always "Insult",or make-fun-of them,that the "Grammar",or "Spelling", police attack them,or that they are always told to use the "search" button!
I would like to ask all those reluctant people to post,ask questions,(There are no stupid questions,only stupid answers!) and not worry about any "Negative" responses from other members!
If you have been waiting to ask those questions,or make those comments do it now!Before Monday morning rolls around!!!
I will give those members who violate the above "Guidelines" a warning,and then a more "SEVERE PUNISHMENT"!:cry:

"Power Corrupts,ABSOLUTE POWER Corrupt ABSOLUTELY"!!!!!!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
So, if I post something this weekend about going to the DR and having sexual relationships with women 30 to 40 years younger than me, no one can insult me?

Chuckuindy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
chuckuindy said:
So, if I post something this weekend about going to the DR and having sexual relationships with women 30 to 40 years younger than me, no one can insult me?

Chuckuindy

This invitation was for the 'reluctant people'. I have it on good authority that you don't fit the profile... You are also disqualified from this invitation as your subject matter is not "general stuff". Gosh Darn, you missed out. :laugh: :laugh:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thanks for having an open ear Jan. You used to blame all of your spelling errors on a bad keyboard. However you can?t fool me, I gave you a new one. Christ, what are you stupid or something, you type like you are from Mars.

As for you Chris, I am reluctant, to post any more Trip Reports. Not to say I will not return, just no more trip reports. BTW, who are you to say that sex is not General Stuff? Who made you the Goddess of DR1?

Yes I love both of you and hope to see you soon.

Charlie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While not a reluctant poster--that is an oxymoron applied to me!!---I will have to say that chuckie's Trip Reports are a "Man's Guide to Beaver in the DR!" and, therefore, are a must read for all neophytes.

I certainly applaud CCCCCCCC's initiative and will be happy to try and contibute to this atmosphere of camaraderie, no schitt Shakespeare.!!

The always grumpy curmudgeon,

HB :D:D:D Down with the Smilie Rule!!

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Something I wanted to ask and now I can without fear!!

We had a discussion in one of my classes about civility or the lack of civility. Do you think that our societies have become more rude, more obnoxious, or less concerned about manners in the last 25 years? What other explanation would you give for road rage, frivilous lawsuits, and sarcastic communication? Sorry to be so serious, but than again I liked to know what you think? And you said any question, right?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Teacher said:
We had a discussion in one of my classes about civility or the lack of civility. Do you think that our societies have become more rude, more obnoxious, or less concerned about manners in the last 25 years? What other explanation would you give for road rage, frivilous lawsuits, and sarcastic communication? Sorry to be so serious, but than again I liked to know what you think? And you said any question, right?

I can say that I have never encountered any of these social misbehaviors in the DR. As to why they occur in other parts of the world, my guess is that it has something to do with parenting.

Chuckuindy

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Teacher said:

Not so at all! Actually, it's the other way around. We've become more hypersensitive, susceptible, thin-skinned so to speak. Nowadays, crusty, touchy-feely cry babies are in vogue, and to respond this way is now considered a virtue. I see a feminization trend in American culture. Chris Colon for example.

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Mirador said:
Not so at all! Actually, it's the other way around. We've become more hypersensitive, susceptible, thin-skinned so to speak. Nowadays, crusty, touchy-feely cry babies are in vogue, and to respond this way is now considered a virtue. I see a feminization trend in American culture. Chris Colon for example.

So, you are saying that generations in the past were just as rude, crude and obnoxious but that others didn't take it so seriously?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Teacher said:
So, you are saying that generations in the past were just as rude, crude and obnoxious but that others didn't take it so seriously?

No! you feel that people now are rude, crude and obnoxious because you are a sissy.

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Mirador said:
No! you feel that people now are rude, crude and obnoxious because you are a sissy.

I see. So it is a matter of semantics. What was call rude and crude and obnoxious today really isn't. By the way is being sissy gender specific or just a term meaning "too sensitve" for either gender?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Teacher said:
I see. So it is a matter of semantics. What was call rude and crude and obnoxious today really isn't. By the way is being sissy gender specific or just a term meaning "too sensitve" for either gender?

No! It's not a matter of semantics, it's a matter of perspective. And about sissy, I checked your dictionary first, and it's not gender specific and it doesn't mean "too sensitive". There are other synonyms, but I liked the 'ring' of the term, it's used in many classic movies from the 1950s.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Teacher said:
The question of whether societies have become more rude, obnoxious, etc in the past 25 years depends on what facet of society we are looking towards and who is doing the looking.

The younger the generation, the more acceptable they are towards improper forms of speech even in times and places when proper form is more appropriate. The younger the generation, the faster they are to take for granted their country's culture, but they are very quick to pick up the international culture (predominantly American influenced). Today, teenagers and little kids the world over act the same, talk the same, listen to the same music, singers, you name it they all know what you are talking about!

However, the older the generation, the opposite things are considering what I have posted thus far.

Personally, I don't think people are any more obnoxious, rude, etc today than they were 25, 50, or 100 years ago. The difference is that now rudeness is becoming more and more acceptable in previously unacceptable places and mediums of communications. In the past, it was shocking to hear a person say a curse word in public, today cursing is not much of a shocker or attention grabber unless its done in anger, but having said this, being nice still prevails in this country at least, although you will never know this if you were to judge it by the driving - but that is another thread all together.:nervous: ;)

Listening to bachata was considered the music of low lifes drinking to oblivion in bars to hide from their daily problems. God forbid anyone saw you just passing in front of a bar blasting that "shameful and disgraceful" music. The town's next gossip would revolve around you if you were seen near such place. Today?! Well, let's just say that things have changed!

Not only is bachata acceptable, even among certain sectors of the upper classes, but its even being encouraged, possibly knocking Merengue out of its previous title as the music that identified the country!

People have become more acceptable of things, in part due to globalization. For example, before mass tourism arrived here, it was rare if not unknown to see a woman sun tanning topless at any beach. Today, head to any beach fronted by a resort and you will see topless bathing covering the sands from end to end. Of course, its still frown upon for beach attire being worn while walking around the towns and short skirts, short pants, and sometimes sleeveless shirts are not permitted at certain religious and government buildings (though they tend to make exceptions sometimes).

But, the beach scene has changed drastically from women bathing with entire clothes on (and some Dominican woman still do this, they have a bikini or bathing suit underneath an oversized shirt) to eurobabes (and the not quite babes:surprised ) sun tanning topless.

-NAL

Last edited:

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
Nal0whs said:
The question of whether societies have become more rude, obnoxious, etc in the past 25 years depends on what facet of society we are looking towards and who is doing the looking.

The younger the generation, the more acceptable they are towards improper forms of speech even in times and places when proper form is more appropriate. The younger the generation, the faster they are to take for granted their country's culture, but they are very quick to pick up the international culture (predominantly American influenced). Today, teenagers and little kids the world over act the same, talk the same, listen to the same music, singers, you name it they all know what you are talking about!

However, the older the generation, the opposite things are considering what I have posted thus far.

Personally, I don't think people are any more obnoxious, rude, etc today than they were 25, 50, or 100 years ago. The difference is that now rudeness is becoming more and more acceptable in previously unacceptable places and mediums of communications. In the past, it was shocking to hear a person say a curse word in public, today cursing is not much of a shocker or attention grabber unless its done in anger, but having said this, being nice still prevails in this country at least, although you will never know this if you were to judge it by the driving - but that is another thread all together.:nervous: ;)

Listening to bachata was considered the music of low lifes drinking to oblivion in bars to hide from their daily problems. God forbid anyone saw you just passing in front of a bar blasting that "shameful and disgraceful" music. The town's next gossip would revolve around you if you were seen near such place. Today?! Well, let's just say that things have changed!

Not only is bachata acceptable, even among certain sectors of the upper classes, but its even being encouraged, possibly knocking Merengue out of its previous title as the music that identified the country!

People have become more acceptable of things, in part due to globalization. For example, before mass tourism arrived here, it was rare if not unknown to see a woman sun tanning topless at any beach. Today, head to any beach fronted by a resort and you will see topless bathing covering the sands from end to end. Of course, its still frown upon for beach attire being worn while walking around the towns and short skirts, short pants, and sometimes sleeveless shirts are not permitted at certain religious and government buildings (though they tend to make exceptions sometimes).

But, the beach scene has changed drastically from women bathing with entire clothes on (and some Dominican woman still do this, they have a bikini or bathing suit underneath an oversized shirt) to eurobabes (and the not quite babes:surprised ) sun tanning topless.

-NAL
The idea of acceptability is a good point. What we accept then becomes the standard, I suppose. Do you think this acceptance of how we dress ( or how little we dress), how we speak, what we see, what we read makes society better? less judgemental? Do you think the pendulum swings on these standards or do they just move more and more in one direction with each generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.