questions

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
1)About living? I am a student I am alone, don?t need much for living. Best would be to live in a students home or something like that, where I can meet other people. Are there any? Costs?

another one:
2)I was thinking to study spanish in DR, what possibilities are there?
I saw this edase.com and hispaniola.org offers. Are they any good? Any other possibilities? Costs?

another one:
3)Lets say: I am not dominican republic resident, I get my monthly salary from Hong-Kong to a DR bank account that I opened there and all taxes are paid in HK, is the money then TAX Free in DR?

Thank You

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hi, First where are you planning stay in DR?

2nd. Savings accounts doesn´t pay taxes, The Popular Bankhas a cheap mothly charge of 10 Dominican pesos for handle the account and all transactions in the ATM are free.

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
riravaga said:
Hi, First where are you planning stay in DR?

2nd. Savings accounts doesn?t pay taxes, The Popular Bankhas a cheap mothly charge of 10 Dominican pesos for handle the account and all transactions in the ATM are free.

I was thinking Santo Domingo
about internet bank? are there any online banks? I mean can I access my bank account from internet?

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
All commercial banks have their websites. Of course you can access to your account from the internet and do some transactions.

Last edited:

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
Eddyx said:
All comercial banks have their websites. Of course you can acces to your account from the internet and do some transactions.

thank You

what about?
1)About living i was thinking Santo Domingo? I am a student I am alone, don´t need much for living. Best would be to live in a students home or something like that, where I can meet other people. Are there any? Costs?

another one:
2)I was thinking to study spanish in DR, what possibilities are there?
I saw this edase.com and hispaniola.org offers. Are they any good? Any other possibilities? Costs?

and
about taxes, what do You have to pay taxes, if You get $1000 USD in month? I mean company in dr has paid all the taxes, do You as a citizen have to pay any more taxes?

Last edited:

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Dominicans are very friendly people and if you are from Hong Kong there are a lot of chinese people here. You can study spanish in UNAPEC http://www.unapec.edu.do/idiomas.htm

As citizen or legal resident you will have to pay income tax, if you are an employee or have your own bussiness. But if you are going to come here as a student you won't have to pay this. With $1,000. a month you'll have to pay more or less $54. But only if you are an employee.

Last edited:

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
Eddyx said:
Dominicans are very friendly people and if you are from Hong Kong there are a lot of chinese people here. You can study spanish in UNAPEC http://www.unapec.edu.do/idiomas.htm

I am actually from Estonia, this question was theoretical
My Spanish level is close to ZERO, I have never learned.
So I need to start from ZERO

What about living in Santo Domingo, how many english spekers? Would I manage only with english? Hotels? shops?

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
Eddyx said:
As citizen or legal resident you will have to pay income tax, if you are an employee or have your own bussiness. But if you are going to come here as a student you won't have to pay this. With $1,000. a month you'll have to pay more or less $54. But only if you are an employee.

Ok
Lets say I don`t work in DR, but I get from some other country the $1000 in month, then there are no taxes for me? Did I get it right?

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
stuff said:
Ok
Lets say I don`t work in DR, but I get from some other country the $1000 in month, then there are no taxes for me? Did I get it right?

Thanks

You can bank via the internet. What I do is have money deposited in a US bank account then write checks on that account and cash them for pesos at a banco de cambio. This is a common practice, and safer than having all your money in an account here. If you are living here, you will be able to make arrangements to have a banco de cambio (exchange bank) accept your checks just like cash.

The way things are now, you should have to pay no tax to the DR.

If you do this, it is best to have your bank account in a US bank so that the checks you write are in dollars. Dollar is the most desired currency and gets the best exchange rate.

You will survive during your early days. And get along even better as you learn Spanish. Dominicans very patient with somebody learning Spanish.

Last edited:

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
stuff said:
I am actually from Estonia, this question was theoretical
My Spanish level is close to ZERO, I have never learned.
So I need to start from ZERO

What about living in Santo Domingo, how many english spekers? Would I manage only with english? Hotels? shops?

In Santo Domingo City there are some touristic areas, like the Colonial City where you can easily find people that speak english and maybe in the comercial areas but most people speak only Spanish. In the hotels you can find easily people who speak English. But that depend of the kind of hotel.

You can find many english speaker in the touristic zones.

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
Ken said:
You can bank via the internet. What I do is have money deposited in a US bank account then write checks on that account and cash them for pesos at a banco de cambio. This is a common practice, and safer than having all your money in an account here. If you are living here, you will be able to make arrangements to have a banco de cambio (exchange bank) accept your checks just like cash.

The way things are now, you should have to pay no tax to the DR.

If you do this, it is best to have your bank account in a US bank so that the checks you write are in dollars. Dollar is the most desired currency and gets the best exchange rate.

Thats a good idea, but I think i can`t open bank account in US
But if the money is sent via wire transfer to DR bank in USD, then I should be able to take the money out in USD ? and it should stay in my account in USD?

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
stuff said:
Ok

Thanks

I this case you won't have to pay taxes.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
stuff said:
But if the money is sent via wire transfer to DR bank in USD, then I should be able to take the money out in USD ? and it should stay in my account in USD?

Yes, of course. You can change to the local currency whatever you want.

Last edited:

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
Eddyx said:
In Santo Domingo City there are some touristic areas, like the Colonial City where you can easily find people that speak english and maybe in the comercial areas but most people speak only Spanish. In the hotels you can find easily people who speak English. But that depend of the kind of hotel.

You can find many english speaker in the touristic zones.

thanks, that`s what I thought
I visited this year Spain, and there where also not many people who spoke english, more in touristic areas.
I would manage to speak in german, english, russian and also in my mother tongue. But I am still young and would really like to learn spanish too.

Anyway I have browsed this forum for some days now and people who ask about money, how much they would need in DR.
I would also like to ask something like that, lets say I would manage to get maybe $1000 USD-$1500 USD in month for living. As I said, I am student, so don´t really need much, internet would be one that I need as I am a little in web business. Would live in student home, but what about the language courses? what are the costs?
and what about this services that they offer, I mean living in a local family? can someone tell something about it?

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
stuff said:

Dollar accounts are available in the DR. You deposit dollars and withdraw dollars. My experience with a couple of banks is that you can't just walk in off the street and open an account. The banks wanted identification and references so that they were sure, I suppose, that you weren't laundrying money or in the drug business. Anyway, you might want to start another thread just on the subject of your being able to open a dollar account.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
stuff said:
thanks, that`s what I thought
I visited this year Spain, and there where also not many people who spoke english, more in touristic areas.
I would manage to speak in german, english, russian and also in my mother tongue. But I am still young and would really like to learn spanish too.

Anyway I have browsed this forum for some days now and people who ask about money, how much they would need in DR.
I would also like to ask something like that, lets say I would manage to get maybe $1000 USD-$1500 USD in month for living. As I said, I am student, so don´t really need much, internet would be one that I need as I am a little in web business. Would live in student home, but what about the language courses? what are the costs?
and what about this services that they offer, I mean living in a local family? can someone tell something about it?

With $1,000.00 you can live here. In Santo Domingo there are different internet service provider, with Cable or ADSL. That's depend of the area of the city you will live. This is the email address of UNAPEC. Ask them for information about the Spanish course unapec@unapec.edu.do and the rates.

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
Eddyx said:
With $1,000.00 you can live here. In Santo Domingo there are different internet service provider, with Cable or ADSL. That's depend of the area of the city you will live. This is the email address of UNAPEC. Ask them for information about the Spanish course unapec@unapec.edu.do and the rates.

Thank You
This email keeps bouncing back, looks like wrong email? Can You take a look, if its the right email?

Can You do some examples how much what costs:

1) one normal beer - in pub and in shop?
2) one mcdonalds cheese burger?
3) one liter gas?

thank You

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
HI, Stuff

Ido also life in SD and get easily around by 1000 US$ a month. It is certanly possible to have a good live with this butget.

I live at the Cona Colonial in a small Hotel which offer internet acess, a citchen andeven hot water. Check it out at www.condo-parque.ch.vu.
The owner is Swiss and speaks german, english, freanch and of course spanish.

Would be nice to meet you here at the Bar and have a small talk. By the way, I'm german and love this counry.

So long,
Stefan

FarOut

Jul 26, 2004
One Cheesburger, at the Street 40 DR$, at the shop with freanch fies from US$.

Normal-Fuel is RD$ 111.00.
Diesel is RD$ 95.90.
Gas is RD$ 42.04.
All prices are per Gallon.

And last but not least, a small bear is around 40 RD$ ;)

stuff

Oct 30, 2005
FarOut said:
One Cheesburger, at the Street 40 DR$, at the shop with freanch fies from US$.

Normal-Fuel is RD$ 111.00.
Diesel is RD$ 95.90.
Gas is RD$ 42.04.
All prices are per Gallon.

And last but not least, a small bear is around 40 RD$ ;)

thanks

But what do You do in SD? work? study? learn spanish?
and what about this hotel? Night is $25? Or if longer, then cheaper?
Thank You