Well well well, I love doom and gloom, hehehe

surplus1

Nov 24, 2004
It is very interesting to read your posts. It's a real eye-opener for those of us newbees who really wish to begin the research. I'll be ready to make decisions in a few years so I'm beginning now, what are your suggestions? Which specific areas should one target which have the availability of the basics? Basics meaning: good living situation, opportunistic business possibilities/probabilities, meeting the right people; ones who can prove sincerely helpful in buying real estate and starting a small business venture, maybe import related and/or tourism based. Or beach activity, jet ski, boat rental, scooter rental. What are the tariffs associated with these types of ventures. Food is not of interest, nor jewelry or gifts. Leave that to the locals. Maybe portable a/c unit rental, water purification, generators, targeted auto parts like tires, batteries, brake shoes, battery systems, or solar power. Do I need to pay-off people for certain, or will I need an armed guard wherever I go? or can I simply bust my butt and not worry too much about being harassed by the thieves and or political systems.:nervous: and how are medical care costs?

I've been told that a person moving back to DR (a prior citizen) can bring in their belongings at no tax. Cars clothing etc.. on a one time basis. So if I partner up with a local moving in can prove to be a better deal. Or am I looking for trouble?:cry:

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I think you will find (and in recent posts this has been discussed) that tourism enterprises like boats, scooters etc., place you square in front of well placed collectives of locals who tend to dissuade you from staying in business.

Not sure where you'd go with water purification. There is quite obtainable bottled water in all towns.

How many times have you been to scout the country?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My best advice is to search here. Read all new posts and use the search button on top. I have been doing business here for years mostly real estate related but didn't do a thing for years till I learned a little. Patience is a virtue and especially here till you get the lay of the land.

That being said I feel this place is a money tree if you know where to pick.

Escott

surplus1

Nov 24, 2004
Water was just a for instance

ricktoronto said:
I think you will find (and in recent posts this has been discussed) that tourism enterprises like boats, scooters etc., place you square in front of well placed collectives of locals who tend to dissuade you from staying in business.

Not sure where you'd go with water purification. There is quite obtainable bottled water in all towns.

How many times have you been to scout the country?

When i was young I lived in PR so DR is very similar to me. I visited 2x's and will be there the end of this year. I plan 3 visits over the next year but unfortunately can only spend 1 week at a time.

I speak spanish at some level, well enough to clearly communicate well.
My concern is finding business activity and understanding what prevents success, whether it is local politics, governmental restrictions, or taxation restrictions limiting profitablity. My expertise is in deeply discounted inventory.

surplus1

Nov 24, 2004
Money tree

Escott said:
My best advice is to search here. Read all new posts and use the search button on top. I have been doing business here for years mostly real estate related but didn't do a thing for years till I learned a little. Patience is a virtue and especially here till you get the lay of the land.

That being said I feel this place is a money tree if you know where to pick.

Escott

When i was young I lived in PR so DR is very similar to me. I visited 2x's and will be there the end of this year. I plan 3 visits over the next year but unfortunately can only spend 1 week at a time.

I speak spanish at some level, well enough to clearly communicate well.
My concern is finding business activity and understanding what prevents success, whether it is local politics, governmental restrictions, or taxation restrictions limiting profitablity. My expertise is in deeply discounted inventory.