Anyone who can shed insight on living in Punta Cana???

Ieesha

Oct 27, 2005
I've been reading and enjoying the Living section of the site for about the last week or so. Most have commented on living in Santo Domingo or on the North Coast. Is there anyone who lives in or near Punta Cana and can give some insight into what life is like there? Cost of living? Dymanics of life? Work/employment opportunities? Schooling? etc.?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've been living in Punta Cana since January and I have yet to regret my decision. After living for over 8 years in Santo Domingo, the peacefulness here is very welcome. If I were to complain about something, I would say it's the lack of stores and everyday items. But even that's getting better with the Iberia Supermarket that was opened a couple of months ago in Higuey. It's not next door but it's a lot better than La Romana!

I'm currently working at PUNTACANA Resort & Club and basically don't have to spend money if I don't want to. Like many resorts, from a certain level up you get housing, 3 meals a day and some sort of transportation. However, you live on-site, and basically have to be available around the clock. That's life in tourism. Most of us have to work 11 days straight with 3 days off which at the beginning isn't easy but I've gotten to enjoy being off for 3 days. Other than that, life here is very different from the hectic life I used to lead in Santo Domingo. It's great to not have to watch my back all the time for purse snatchers and fight for a carro publico!!

For those who enjoy nightlife, Punta Cana may be a bit boring. In Punta Cana itself there isn't much to do, but you've got Bavaro not too far away that's a bit more lively but the distance gets tiring after a while. In Punta Cana, pretty much everything is far away even when you have a car. Now if you're like me, and a game of pool or bowling a week is enough, then you won't have any problem. :D

For all the rest, you have to keep in mind that Punta Cana/Bavaro is dedicated to tourism. It doesn't have much else besides resorts and the occasional little extra. For kids there are several good schools around but as far as I know, no college or university. There are a few good clinics but $$. As for work, unless you have an impressive job history or something that puts you apart from the rest (ex. 4 fluid languages), then you'll have to fight with dominicans to get a job and you'll get paid the same as them, which is not much.

Hope this answers some of your questions!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
La Mariposa said:
Is the Iberia bigger than the Supermercado Higueyano ?

Yes, much larger. I would hazard a guess of about approximately 9,000 M?. It includes a very convenient parking garage under the store.

The store's marketing format is very similar to other larger stores such as Jumbo and Plaza Lama. It sells groceries, household goods, furniture, hardware, clothing, and ect. ect. ect.

The arrival of this store to Higuey has brought a greater variety and better quality goods at reasonable prices to the buying public.

Regards,
PJT