Puerto Rico vs. Republica Dominicana

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Hi

I was wondering if the people who have travelled to both these islands can compare the two interms of livign and people. I have heard the Puerto Ricans are infamous for refusing to talk to you in Spanish (if you're not rican)..

Any views? Which do you prefer?

Wildnfre

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Wildnfree

This is a very open ended question. Therefore expect a range of answers. Although these two islands have plenty of cultural similarities of course there are differences and it depends on what you are looking for from a cultural and social point of view.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to study in San Juan and I have nothing but positive comments about Puerto Rico in general. Of course my time there is not sufficient to make a final assessment but I would go back given the opportunity.

Your statement about Puerto Ricans refusing to speak to one in Spanish 'if you are not Puerto Rican' sounds like one of those infamous over generalizations that people make about nationalities. I have never heard that and my point to you is if you are planning to be outside of the tourists areas of San Juan for example el Condado - si no hablas español vas a sufrir. If you go to other parts of San Juan (non tourist areas) and especially other parts of the island like Ponce, Mayagüez and Cabo Rojo I suggest you know how to speak Spanish. Do some research on www.puertorico.com and many other good websites.

LDG.

Last edited:

Marcus

Mar 13, 2002
wildnfree said:
Hi

I was wondering if the people who have travelled to both these islands can compare the two interms of livign and people. I have heard the Puerto Ricans are infamous for refusing to talk to you in Spanish (if you're not rican)..

Any views? Which do you prefer?

Wildnfre

I have been to Puerto Rico various times over the last four years and never had anybody 'refuse' to speak to me in Spanish.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Everybody speak spanish there, in fact there are many people that don't speaks english.

Last edited:

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
That is good news..

If you look up the Lonely Planet guide book on PR, it advises not to try to learn Spanish there because people refuse to speak it to foreigners. I also read it in a travel guide to PR - but I am very glad to hear the opposite.

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
So how ...

.. would we (they) would communicate with you (the tourist) ?? If the majority do not speak english, and they refuse to speak to you in spanish, then how would you communicate ? Then again, I've heard that New Yorkers won't speak to you in english either ;) E.