Jose Thomas Perez a hero

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
Jose Thomas Perez was the only candidate from his and Leonel?s party elected to represent his constituency out of all the Senatorial Districts in the DR. Jose Thomas sat alone fighting a one sided free spending President, who it happens to be in the same Party. The big question that arises is ?WHY IN THE WORLD DOES DANILO MEDINA & LEONEL WANT TO DUMP JOSE THOMAS, A PROVEN WINNER ???? Jose Thomas objected to the waste of money to construct a fantasy island off the Malecone, and a subway system that would consume at least one billion dollars (US), (the false estimate by the Government was for $350 million US) and disrupt the City for 10 years (the false estimate was for 3 years) years. The Puerto Rico subway (for the same distance estimated for the proposed DR system) has taken more than 10 years & cost over $one billion dollars, and is still unfinished. Jose Thomas endorsed a proven less expensive monorail public transportation above ground system that could be operable within 3 years, with minimal disruption to the commerce of the City. The same system used in the United States, Europe and Australia. Crime in New York subways is at all time highs, and crime flourishes in dark lonely subway stations. Jose Thomas wanted to improve our hospitals and medical treatment programs to permit all Dominicans high quality treatment equal to that offered in developed countries. In place of the billion dollar isalnd off the Malecone, Jose Thomas is in favor of elevating our education system with modern public school buildings, and internationally & recognized scholastic programs that would produce more professionals who would stay here in the DR. Jose Thomas freely spoke against the spend spend programs such as $350 million DR (decorating bill) to furnish a court building with expensive imported furnture while qualified Dominicans produce fine furniture here at lower cost, and the $25 million US given to a private hospital, while public hospitals are lacking medicines or supplies. Jose Thomas voiced objections to the constant travels by Leonel, while the DR was and still is in crises in dire need of more effective Government at home. With crime increasing, corruption evident and no jobs available, a hands on Presidency was and is a priority. It does appear that Jose Thomas was simply too much for Dominicans (the people), and made the present administration look bad. Let?s hope Jose Thomas and Jaime David can create an unbeatable duo as President, and Vice President in 2008.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Porfirio, who are you, and why are you telling us all these things? You know very well that Dominican politics is a business enterprise, and problems are addressed only inasmuch as they represent opportunities for graft to line the participants' pockets and fund the corrupt system.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
hard to deny the facts of Mirador's statement

Mirador said:
Porfirio, who are you, and why are you telling us all these things? You know very well that Dominican politics is a business enterprise, and problems are addressed only inasmuch as they represent opportunities for graft to line the participants' pockets and fund the corrupt system.

The surprising part is how little the various candidates and office holders have differed since Balaguer. It's more of the same with different slogans. The oligarchy runs the country and the government is just a front for them to control the populace and curry favor with foreign states.

project9

May 29, 2004
I wonder what the island in the malecon has to do with your rant since it is a private project.

Candelier presidente carajo!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
But it is a private project that affects the public in a big way, not that the government gives a @#$* about that and certainly doesn't want a full, honest and transparent discussion of its possible impacts before it is fait accompli...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
project9 said:
I wonder what the island in the malecon has to do with your rant since it is a private project. Candelier presidente carajo!

Private? The project involves the use of public land and waterway, for which concessionary use has to be approved by Congress.

Abajo Candelier carajo!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
with respect to Candelier

Mirador said:
Private? The project involves the use of public land and waterway, for which concessionary use has to be approved by Congress.

Abajo Candelier carajo!

I am basically apolitical. My objective view is that if Candelier were to appear to be gaining any significant popular support as the election nears, the three top parties would derail his candidacy with a 1996 Pena Gomez style smear campaign. Here are some of the items that a largely uninformed bystander like me knows about that they would likely use in addition to who knows how many other skeletons from his closet and piles of dirt they have in reserve:

* the villa at Casa de Campo he uses and how a >US$60,000/year military salary could finance it

* the circumstances surrounding his removal from the head of the National Police and transfer to the head of AMET (Amnesty International & other international organizations applied pressure in the wake of increasing extra judicial killings under his watch)

* a portfolio of published quotes of near Hipolito Mejia level crudity and insensitivity

I suspect he and his supporters have been very quiet the past couple of months because the situation I've mentioned has been brought to his attention. Time will tell...

project9

May 29, 2004
Jose Thomas objected to the waste of money to construct a fantasy island off the Malecone,

Ye i agree on the public impact of a private project ... but if any money is to be "wasted" on the project it will be private money.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
project9 said:
Ye i agree on the public impact of a private project ... but if any money is to be "wasted" on the project it will be private money.
If you really believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.:tired:

project9

May 29, 2004
You can keep the bridge, a credible evidence that the project will be funded with public money will do.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
project9 said:
You can keep the bridge, a credible evidence that the project will be funded with public money will do.
What you disputed was that public money would be wasted as a result of this project, which I am certain it will, one way or another. Have known the DR far, far too long to believe otherwise. The main portion of the project is (supposedly) all private money, but who do you think is really going to pay for all those "public impacts"? You really think the private project will not result in a single centavo being spent by local or national government for anything related to it? Please tell me you are not that naive...:tired:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
project9 said:

Public resources versus private resources? the argument is trivial since it is a known public fact that the artificial island project was devised only as a means to dispose of the earth removed during the construction of the subway (metro). A very profitable business indeed, which will line the pockets of a few political bigshots (tutumpotes) and the government party's (PLD) coffers.

project9

May 29, 2004
Keith R: if you we were to follow your "logic" we would have to close our borders to any foreign (or national) investor who would like to start a project like a hotel or even an office tower since the cost of the "public impact" will be paid by us ... talk about being naive.

Mirador: then you should offer any piece of land you own so the goverment can dispose the earth in a way that pleases you.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Project9: that is such BS! The scale of a hotel or an office tower is nothing like that of the artificial island. Apples and oranges! So you're not naive -- just in denial. Thought so...

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Keith,
Don't even bother to waste keystrokes with this guy. Not only is he in complete denial, he also has such a myoptic view of the DR that I don't think any level of magnification would help him.

project9

May 29, 2004
So what you (Keith R) is that if the "public impact" of a project is not as big as the island's then it is ok in your book ... then if we were to follow your "logic" we could build the island bit by bit so the "public impact" paid by us will be growing progressively ... just like when a few kilometers of beaches are filled with hotels or a whole residential area is built over time.

Andy B: am i in the denial like in this thread: http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44363 where you couldn't back up you words?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
It's not that I can't back up my words, because as MANY members of this board will tell you, I can and have for almost as many years as this board has been in existance.

What it is though is that I have better things to do with my time than trying to educate someone who has chosen to bury his head from the truth.

project9

May 29, 2004
So let me get this straight ... your time is too important to use it backing up your words ... but it is not important enough to talk about stuff you can't back up ... and it is even less important when it comes to finding lame excuses about why you don't back up your words. A bit of contradiction there mate.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Yup, definitely a bad case of denial. Too bad the PLD does not have more members like Jose Thomas Perez (remember the original topic of this thread?), willing to hold even his own party to account on locura like the artificial island project, rather than all the apologists PLD seems to have (and want) these days. It might actually build a reputation for integrity and a break with traditional Dominican politics...

project9

May 29, 2004
Keith R that's the oldest cliche in the book, usually repeated by people whose arguments don't convince anyone ... even themselves.