1st trip to DR

debfoster

Nov 3, 2005
Hi im coming out to DR on the 8 nov we are staying at hoteur villas dorada beach on the playa dorada complex.after reading reviews im a bit mixed up with feelings of wether this is a good place to stay or nor,if anyone could enlighten me as to what its really like it would be much appreciated.also where to visit and the best way to travel out and about.thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Basically it is a place to sleep and eat. If you are the slightly bit interested there are plenty of things to do to get up and out of the place and explore a wee bit.
1) Visit Puerto Plata, a delightful old Victorian city. All of ten pesos on the guagua that goes by the entrance of Playa Dorada, which is maybe a ten-12 minute walk from your hotel.
2) YOu can take a flock of day trips--including Damajagua Falls

3) You can catch a bus to Sosua and tour that little tourist haven and swim at one of the nicest beaches around. Just a bit further on (another RD$10 pesos) is CAbarete, where you can really let your hair down.

4) You can catch a bus to Santiago-just a bit over an hour away, and you are in the "real" Dominican Republic. See the Centro León, a RD$80 peso taxi ride from the bus station. Admission is RD$50 pesos-no camaras. Next to the center is a replica of the 1903 cigar workshop and you can watch them rolling top of the line cigars....
And then you can go up to the Monument and drink cold beer and people watch....
ETC ETC ETC

Have fun....

HB :D:D:D:D

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
HB, don't totally scare the lady. Villas Dorada is more than just a place to sleep and eat. It's not any different than any other All Inclusive hotel with a medium rating (***). It has the typical buffet and an ala carte Chinese restaurant. The beach is very nice with most water sports included.
Certainly you should follow HBs advice on leaving the Playa Dorada complex, but the hotel has plenty to offer and gives good value for the price range.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
debfoster said:
....after reading reviews im a bit mixed up with feelings of wether this is a good place to stay or nor...

Curious - asking after you have booked the place if you became more mixed up what would you do? I wonder this as I have seen a few posts of after the fact asking about the resort, instead of a query before the commitment has been made. That would seem to be more prudent.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
...........That would seem to be more prudent.
It has never stopped you from forming a opinion of something before obtaining all the facts.

debfoster

Nov 3, 2005
relocated

hi i did do some reasearch on the holiday that i originally booked in cabarette but due to over booking we have been moved only last week to playa dorada.,

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
HOWMAR said:
It has never stopped you from forming a opinion of something before obtaining all the facts.

That statement has absolutely no basis for comparison with the question.

Travelocity

Nov 18, 2005
Hello everyone. This will be our first trip to the DR also. Can you tell me anything about Playa Real in San Pedro de Macoris and the Melia Caribe Tropical in PUnta Cana? I have read mixed reviews about the Play Real and I haven't read anything yet (as far as reviews) about the Tropical Caribe. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Travelocity

Travelocity

Nov 18, 2005
debfoster said:
Hi im coming out to DR on the 8 nov we are staying at hoteur villas dorada beach on the playa dorada complex.after reading reviews im a bit mixed up with feelings of wether this is a good place to stay or nor,if anyone could enlighten me as to what its really like it would be much appreciated.also where to visit and the best way to travel out and about.thanks
FORGIVE ME IF THIS HAS POSTED TWICE! I am new at this and must admit that I do not know how the posting works.

Hello everyone. This is our first visit to the DR also. We are staying at the Playa Real in San Pedro de Macoris and the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana. Can anyone give me any comments and/or what they know about each? I've read reviews from people who have stayed at the Playa Real but I haven't read anything yet (as far as reviews) about the Melia Caribe. Thanks!

Travelocity