Bringing my dog from US to DR

Sunwoman6

Nov 3, 2005
:ermm: First blog! Hubby and I are coming to Boca Chica for almost 5 months starting 11/26! So happy to leave the New England weather behind but have concerns about bringing our little Corgi. We have an appt. with the vet for the proper check-up and paperwork. That form will go to the USDA for certification. The vet says that's all I need, but the DR1 forum states that I also need this certified by the Dominican Consulate in Boston, also. The USDA site states that if it is my personal pet no stamp from the Dominican consulate is necessary - I would only need that if I am bringing in commercial animals to sell. Has anyone been through this process? I do not want to chance having our little friend quarantined upon arrival. It would be a tight time schedule if I have to wait for the vet appt on the 7th, wait for the form to go back and forth to the USDA and then back and forth to the Dominican Consulate. I would have to drive into Boston (about 2 hours each way) to do the consulate part in person if it's definitely needed. Any advice is truly appreciated!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
vet cert alone is fine

We brought in our dog this summer and vet only paperwork is fine. We didn't even have USDA cert. As long as they have vet clearance, up to date vacs. and a rabies shot within a month of entry you are fine. As for the DR consulate stuff, I don't even want to guess where the closest DR consulate is in regard to Oklahoma so we didn't even worry about it.
As close as I can remember it cost us 300-500 pesos for her entry.

Sep 19, 2005
what does the airline you are using charge for the dog? I looked into some domestic flights for my dog three years ago, and most wouldnt accept the dog and the one that did wanted $600 from NY to ND rt. Thanks ..bob

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We had to ship our dog cargo from Dallas to Detroit and that was about 200.00. (She is small) She came from Detroit to Santo Domingo in the coach area with us and that was 80.00.

There are temperature restrictions on the animals in cargo so it can be difficult to ship them during the extreme temp. times of year (middle of summer, deep winter).

We use AA.

Sep 19, 2005
thanks... the first trip would be about $400 if it was both ways I guess......and $80 in the cabin sounds fair....did they have a restriction on the size of the dog?

it costs me $50 a day to leave my dog at a kennel when I go to the DR..I was THINKING maybe Ill bring her, and just let her stay at my GF house while I am there... the cost of the food is negligable.....bob

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The size limit on pets in the cabin is that they must be small enough to fit in a carrier that will fit under the seat in front of you. The pets also then count as one of your carry on pieces of luggage. You must make a reservation in advance and they only allow a limited number of pets to travel in cabin so first come first serve on availability.

If you are going to be in the DR for more than 30 days your dog will have to have another rabies shot and vet cert. before she is let back into the States. I haven't brought any of our pets back into the States yet so I am not 100% sure how easy that process is but I would try to avoid flying into Miami as my first stop if possible if I were you.

Sep 19, 2005
ok thanks....A lab obviously wont fit under the seat in front of me on an airplane......at least any of the seat i have been seeing.......bob

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your Dog Would Probably Rather Spend The Winter In New England!

The temperature here is VERY HOT! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
People often poison dogs they don't like,and your dog WILL get fleas! And there are lots of other parasites avaiable here too!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
Thanks all for such quick responses! We will travel on AA - a direct flight from Boston to SDQ for $100. She's 25# so must go as checked baggage. I do realize that heat will be an issue for her so her big walks will be at 6 or 7 a.m. and then again after dark when it's cooler. The apartahotel where we'll stay has A/C so she'll be fine. We don't let her out alone; only on the leash with us so she'll be safe. We treat her monthly with Frontline so I'm not concerned about fleas. Going by what you've all told me I'm going to simply bring the doctor's cert with me and forget all that stuff with USDA and the consulate. We should be okay on temps as long as it's at least 45 in Boston and no higher than 85 at SDQ. We land at 5:30 p.m. so we should be okay. I didn't know there was a fee to bring her into the country so glad expatsooner mentioned it! I hate surprises. I don't understand why you say that she'd need another rabies shot before going back home in April because she now gets the 3 year shot. Whatever... I'm sure a rabies shot in Santo Domingo is cheaper than on Cape Cod! We'll be staying in Boca Chica, actually, at Neptune's Refugio. Anyone know if there's a big problem with strays in the streets there?
Thanks again for all your help!

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
And I agree 100% that one should never come back into the US through Miami with a pet. It's bad enough for the humans to endure. The last time I did that we got stuck in a massive hall for 2 hours with about a thousand other souls. We were waiting for Immigration to process everyone. Missed our connecting flight and had to spend a night in a crappy hotel courtesy of AA. That would have been a worse hell with a dog. In fact, we have never flown to or through Miami since that fiasco. We're spending an extra $400 for the 2 of us to go direct and I think it may be the best money we spend all Winter!