Looking for new idias

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I Can Vouch for this Foundation

I'm proud to know one of the founders of this foundation and can verify that it is very serious, legitimate, and doing good. The group, before becoming a foundation raised money, largely in Canada, for a number of years and with it bought school supplies, Christmas gifts that it distributed to as many as 6000 needy children and such other worthwhile activities as completely equipping and outfitting, including gloves, uniforms, and shoes, a team of youth baseball players in a very poor area. You can imaging what it did for the morale of those boys and the team.

Now as a foundation, they hope to expand their activities. One of their reasons for posting on dr1 is to get ideas and suggestions regarding activities that they can undertake to improve the quality of life here.

Anyone desiring to donate can be sure the money will be put to good use in the greater Sosua area.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
You deserve a lot of credit for what you have acomplished so far. I was surprised to see that you have not asked the BIG businesses, like Brugal, Presidente for help with your funding. They have helped us in Costambar in the past. Good luck! Canadian Bob.

rickmtl

Oct 31, 2005
Foundation

Thank you Bob
Thanks for your comments. I should tell you that this foundation is like a small ma&pa organisation. Thus far I am all alone organising and razing funds here in Canada. I still work for my living and can only allocate some of my spare time to the foundation. What help I do get comes mostly from the people in the D R organising curtain activities allowing the foundation to get to several small towns an villages bringing some Christmas cheer to children who otherwise would go without.
The people I solicit thus far are business associates of mine and I only raze about 30,000 $ per year. So as you can see I do not have an organisation behind me there fore this foundation as it now stands will never really grow and probably will not survive me. This is but a personal venture a thing I enjoy doing. Life has been good to me and this is my way of giving something back.
I will say the following. Toys are fine but I think I will cut that out for a few reason the first being I spend about 15,000$ on toys and Air Transat will not give me any brake on shipping I end up paying about 3500$ in transport, second toys only last for a few days in some cases only a few hours. That being said Sosua , Cabarette Puerto Plata revolves mostly around tourist. And in the shops, bars, restaurant, hotels, unless you speak some English you will never be considered for the better jobs.
In December I will be looking for a piece of land around Sosua where the foundation can build a school with 3 or 4 class room and give but English lessons to those children that could not afford privet English schools. I have al ready talk to the local administration and they said that if we provide the school and all nessesary material that they would provide the teachers. THIS IS A GIFT THAT WOULD CONTUNUE GIVING. One that I hope to couplet from start to finish in two (2) years.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
what kind of ideas?

ideas for projects? fundraising? we are working with the Centre for educion y salud integral in santiago and find many of those living in the campos lack clean water. we have water filtration system for about $30 a family. you could purchase a bunch of those for christmas!

rickmtl

Oct 31, 2005
I Would Like To Get More Info On This Water Filtration . 30$ Is A Real Bergan If It Is A Prouven Product Fot The Dr Water,, I Realy Would Be Interested In This (( Must Be A Prouven Product )) Otherwise We Would Be Cerating More Harm Than Good,

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
simple but sweet water filtration

they are 900 pesos each and last 4 years. they are not high tech but for campo living they do the trick. I'll send you a pm for the detailson ordering.