Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Sosua dying?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Sosua dying?

I have been living in the Dominican Republic for over two years and more than a year of that has been spent in Sosua. That by no means makes me an expert but my observations in Sosua lead me to believe that Sosua(outside of the all-inclusives) is in big trouble. When I got here the town had its ups and downs but the uptime was very good. Many people were walking the streets and there were people on the beach who did not have a sufficient amount of chairs for all the people that wanted to sit in their section. I have seen a dramatic change. I have been told by the few people I have seen lately who fly in to Puerto Plata that all the planes are packed. I saw for myself when I picked my mother up at the airport loads and loads of people getting off the planes. What I have not seen is these people frequenting establishments outside of the all-inclusives.
    I don't see or hear anything that leads me to believe that things are going to get better anytime soon. I hope I am wrong but my question to the people on DR1 is; Is Sosua dying?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The lasts suggestions of closing the beach at 6 PM and the Discos and bars in town at 2AM sure won't help much, thats for sure.

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tor
    The lasts suggestions of closing the beach at 6 PM and the Discos and bars in town at 2AM sure won't help much, thats for sure.
    My understanding is that the 2am thing is country-wide for the bars, discos ect ... is this correct? And the beach thing ..... well, those of you who know the guys that run the shark bar know it's just ridiculous.

As to J's question ... I've been in Sosua for about a year and Cabarete before that for almost 2 years, the concensus of people who have been in Sosua for over 10 years (people who I know at least) say that the town has had it's ups and it's downs and this is one of it's downs. I know, it leaves a lot open to interpretation but that's what the DR's all about right?

My feeling is that there's serious unbalance on the N Coast. If you look at the tourist trade, outside the AIs, it's almost non-existent compared to years past. Business owners are talking about 40% turnover compared to last year, sometimes less. But then again, look at the real estate market which is booming along the Cabarete/Sosua beachfronts. I'm as yet undecided which way the pendulum (sp?) will swing ....

Stay well,
    Amy

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Amy...very wise post...very wise.

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    Amy...very wise post...very wise.
    heheheh ... sweet!
    Stay well,
    Amy

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

they're closing the stalls on the beach at 6pm? including my favorite shark bar.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Re Paddy
    Thats a suggestion, as far as I know, strongly supported (and maybe paid for) by bar owners in town.
    What Amy means by this statement

"And the beach thing ..... well, those of you who know the guys that run the shark bar know it's just ridiculous. "

I don't know.
    Last edited by Tor; 11-05-2005 at 09:18 PM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newyorksharkbar
    I don't see or hear anything that leads me to believe that things are going to get better anytime soon. I hope I am wrong but my question to the people on DR1 is; Is Sosua dying?
    Welcome to the world of the cheap AI tourist. They are cheap, very cheap! Don't blame them, blame the people that bring them here and the lack of focus and direction by consecutive governments and tourism organizations here. This is still a tour operator driven market and it's a market that is dying. Tourism is not sustainable here under the current model.

Unfortunately the only people that are doing ok are the resorts that have the resources to break out of the above mold. They cater more to an independent market and offer an upscale product.

Trust me, I could write pages about this problem and Dolores could write twice as many as me.

Until the people in "power" wake up and start to coordinate themselves, then tourist dollar yield will continue to fall. Yeah, the numbers may go up, but what about the yield or profit per tourist?

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Re Paddy
    Thats a suggestion, as far as I know, strongly supported (and maybe paid for) by bar owners in town.
    What Amy means by the ridiculous statement I don't know.
    Go to the bar and see .... hang around for a while after dark.

Stay well,
    Amy
    Last edited by amy2761; 11-05-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amy2761
    Go to the bar and see .... hang around for a while after dark.

Stay well,
    Amy
    I'm passing by there after dark several times a week, what's your point ? Will they still be open even if it's forbidden ? Or is it that they usually are closed at that time anyway ?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast