Taxi versus Renting

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Will be in the DR in January for about a week ..Tenth visit but this time a short visit ..

I used to drive in the DR but this time have problems (time restrictions ) - have my own car in the DR (it's however with my wife's mother in Vicente Noble and picking it up and returning it would take me too much time )

Have the choice to rent a car ( had very bad experience with Hertz but that was 8 years ago ) or travel by taxi ..

My trip :Airport SD to town -- in town a few visits - then from SD to Jarabacoa - some very local visits - then from Jarabacoa to Sosua - some local trips and finally from Sosua to airport in SD ..

Assume that economically and from a safety point of view (am 65 and normally when driving am accompanied by my wife who is Dominican )taking a "good" (??) taxi -when needed- would be better than renting a car for a week (all insured middle class car )..

Would like to know the opinion of some of you having experience with taxi companies (are there taxi companies in SD I can really trust ) especially in SD and also any suggestion about renting versus taxi ..

Thanks for any comment or advice

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
I have used Juan Collado of Santo Domingo Taxi, 544-4444. Just from the airport to SDQ. His celluar is 809-765-8047.

I personally would prefer to rent a vehicle but sometimes it can be a true hassle. You may also use relaible buses like Metro or Caribe Tours http://www.caribetours.com.do/ to save some taxi money and just use taxis as needed.

Best of luck,

JD