Melia Hotel and who are these people?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I stayed at the Melia Hotel in Santo Domingo 2 weeks ago. I decided that I was a little tired of the same old same old at La Hamaca or Costa Caribe.
My observations and my question:
The hotel offers AAA service from every aspect of the word. Elegant restaurant and selections priced exactly like NY, or higher, room rates higher than NYC,and service people treating you like a first class citizen. In a word the kind of hotel I didnt expect in the Dominican Republic after 7 years of another kind of experience.
All of the people were dressed for business. Men in shirts and ties all the time. Women in business suits. Quiet conversations in the lobby bar.

My question is (really curious) who are these people? Are they only Dominicans attending conferences? Business people there from out of the country? Curious because the place isn't cheap and they're not giving it away. Is this just another side of life that I just was not exposed to and is the norm?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
johne said:
I stayed at the Melia Hotel in Santo Domingo 2 weeks ago. I decided that I was a little tired of the same old same old at La Hamaca or Costa Caribe.
My observations and my question:
The hotel offers AAA service from every aspect of the word. Elegant restaurant and selections priced exactly like NY, or higher, room rates higher than NYC,and service people treating you like a first class citizen. In a word the kind of hotel I didnt expect in the Dominican Republic after 7 years of another kind of experience.
All of the people were dressed for business. Men in shirts and ties all the time. Women in business suits. Quiet conversations in the lobby bar.

My question is (really curious) who are these people? Are they only Dominicans attending conferences? Business people there from out of the country? Curious because the place isn't cheap and they're not giving it away. Is this just another side of life that I just was not exposed to and is the norm?
There are several other hotels in the same category including the Embajador. Foreign investors, Dominican business persons and Government people flock these hotels. It's a pleasant change I agree.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
That was the old Sheraton hotel on the Malecon. Nice place, a bit expensive but you get what you pay for. However, I feel that the Inter-Continental V Centenario right down the street is even better. A good place to hold conferences and it has one of the best presidential suites I have ever seen.