new to the DR

sonela

Oct 30, 2005
Hi, I'm newly arrived in the DR and will be here for the next six months, volunteering for a small NGO working in the Bateys. I am splitting my time between Santo Domingo and Sabana Grande de Boya. I am wondering if anyone is around the Sabana Grande area? and if so, if you have any advice for living in the area and dealing with all the power outages and the noise.
I'm back in Santo Domingo over the weekends and Monday to attend staff meetings, and have a place to stay until the middle of January in Santo Domingo, but then I need to find other accomodations. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any places to stay (preferably in Gascue area), that are cheap to reasonable.
Thanks, any advice anyone can give to a new comer would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We stay in La Grand Mansion on Calle Danae when we go to SD and have done so for years. Present price is RD$500/night for one person. There are a couple of other small hotels nearby on Danae that you can check out, too. This is in the Gascue area.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Welcome to my country Sonela, you came to the right place to look for info, In Gascue area there are a lot nice hotels, if you use the search tool there are some forums with powerfull info about it. Im curius to know about what kind of job are you going to do in Sabana Grande de Boyá?

sonela

Oct 30, 2005
Thanks Ken. I am checking out Pensions when I come to the city. Do you know of any resources to look for rooms to rent in individual homes

sonela

Oct 30, 2005
I am volunteering at a mobile clinic in Batey Cojobal near Sabana Grande. I spend part of the time at the clinic and then part of the time at the office in Santo Domingo. In January I should be based in Santo Domingo doing more support and adminstrative work. Thanks for the tip to use the search tools. I am not used to online discussion boards.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Check Out The "Clasificados" In "Listin Diario" And The Other "Daily's"

At 500 pesos a day we are talking about 15,000 a month Ken.Not exactly "Cheap"! The newspapers have lots of "Rooms-To-Let" in private homes in that area,also "Universitaria",at 5000 amonth!They have light,water,telephone,telecable etc.Most look for a single female "Que Trabajas,o Estudias"! Should be just the ticket!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc