December 1-January 6 Travel??????

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yes, please...whoever has any information, please share...

Assuming that skippys is not Dominican, neither am I, and we are travelling for Christmas.

I personally would like to bring a cordless phone as a present to Tony's Mom, (the kids broke the antenna on the one they had) and an X-box for the kids...plus other things for the rest of the family, other than clothes...

What are the rules for non-dominicans?

MQ

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I bring gifts every time I travel to the DR. What ever you can get into a suitcase is free. You will pay for extra weight of course. Good idea not to wrap items until you get there. Lay flat tissue and gift bags from the dollar store in the bottom of the suitcase. Don't forget a roll of tape if you take real wrapping paper. Spent a day in PP looking for a roll of tape. Remember - you can always shop once you get to the DR too. Most gifts are exchanged on Jan. 6th - Three Kings Day

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks for the info...but, do they have any regulations on bringing electronics and such as gifts?

I know in Uruguay they really don't like it when you bring electronics stuff, and they give you hell until you either fork out some money or tell them to keep it!!!

MQ

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I bring one backpack and one carry-on.

I put in my CD player, a walkman, a cellphone, candy, gum, an alarm clock, etc. and I never had a problem. Since I carry very little luggage.

But if someone is bringing two or three large luggages, then the custom officials will ask you to step aside.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Musicqueen said:
Thanks for the info...but, do they have any regulations on bringing electronics and such as gifts?

I know in Uruguay they really don't like it when you bring electronics stuff, and they give you hell until you either fork out some money or tell them to keep it!!!

MQ

they give you hard time if you bring in TV's (if you're able to bring in box or fit in luggage), stereo systems, receivers, dvd players... but if you bring your
own dvd portable player, laptop, walkman, cd player, digital camera, cell phone then they don't hassle you.

the xmas electronics exception i thought was for dominican residents... not sure on this.

about 2 wks ago i brought in a 5.1 home theater system and they did not even check my luggages.... i wrapped everything as if it was a gift... as tourist, one is allowed $500 in gifts.... i carried the receiver on my hand in a black box.... but the speakers (the 8" subwoofer + 5 small speakers) were placed inside luggage.. .and they did not open them.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks...then a small cordless phone would not be a big problem, right? and the x-box I could carry with me...

Believe me, I don't like to carry luggage either...just my small carry on, and my handbag...

This time, though...I might bring in another suitecase, a little bigger, cause of the gifts, which will mainly consist of clothes and things for the kids...and I already had thought about the 'dollar store' gift bags and tissue paper to wrap everything...!!! Great idea!!! :)

MQ

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Musicqueen said:
Thanks...then a small cordless phone would not be a big problem, right? and the x-box I could carry with me...

Believe me, I don't like to carry luggage either...just my small carry on, and my handbag...

This time, though...I might bring in another suitecase, a little bigger, cause of the gifts, which will mainly consist of clothes and things for the kids...and I already had thought about the 'dollar store' gift bags and tissue paper to wrap everything...!!! Great idea!!! :)

MQ

If you want to look Dominican the day of travel make sure you carry an oversized hand bag that can hold 50 Lbs, and extra large shopping bag that weighs 70 lbs and 2 suitcases at 100 lbs each. The hand bag and shopping bag can go inside the cabin.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
And to complete the look, the second the gate agent clicks the microphone, and well before even speaking, usually to announce only business class boarding, get up and scramble to the gate to block it from everyone, and ignore the boarding by row nonsense.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Stodgord said:
If you want to look Dominican the day of travel make sure you carry an oversized hand bag that can hold 50 Lbs, and extra large shopping bag that weighs 70 lbs and 2 suitcases at 100 lbs each. The hand bag and shopping bag can go inside the cabin.

that equates to 320 lbs. and airlines only allow 140 lbs for luggage and 35 lbs for carry on.

we, latinos, generally use all of the allotted lbs airlines give to passengers.
and sometimes pay for an extra luggage for $100.

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
Did you know that AA just reduced the weight allowance on your 2 bags to DR from US to 50 pounds each instead of 70????? WAH!

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
fifty pounds!!!!!

for each bag - oh boy!!!!!
Dominicans CANNOT pack a bag ONLY weighing 50#..............

BUT what about extra bag(s) charges - still US$100 each or was that reduced to US$80.....

also read bags weighing 51 pounds through 70 would be charged US$25 each extra, correct????
if that be the case you could still "carry/check" an additional 40# (20 extra per bag) for ONLY US$50 (US$25 per 2 checked bags)

OR an additional 50# bag for US$80 - yikes .....

we better take ALL written AA baggage rules and money to the check-in counter,
and probably in Spanish, too.....
happy travelling everyone

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
skippys said:
for each bag - oh boy!!!!!
Dominicans CANNOT pack a bag ONLY weighing 50#..............

BUT what about extra bag(s) charges - still US$100 each or was that reduced to US$80.....

also read bags weighing 51 pounds through 70 would be charged US$25 each extra, correct????
if that be the case you could still "carry/check" an additional 40# (20 extra per bag) for ONLY US$50 (US$25 per 2 checked bags)

OR an additional 50# bag for US$80 - yikes .....

we better take ALL written AA baggage rules and money to the check-in counter,
and probably in Spanish, too.....
happy travelling everyone

Excess Baggage
Checked baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance will be charged as follows:

$80 per piece for the first three additional pieces

$105 per piece for the fourth, fifth, and sixth additional pieces

$180 per piece for the seventh and any additional pieces

Winter Box / Bag Embargo Information

Due to heavy traffic, American Airlines and American Eagle will adopt embargoes on checked baggage and boxes from December 2, 2005 through January 9, 2006.

Passengers will be allowed to check a maximum of two pieces and they must be within the size and weight limits as follows:
1st piece - up to 62 linear inches (length + width + height) and 50 lbs.
2nd piece - up to 62 linear inches (length + width + height) and 50 lbs.

Caribbean
Port Au Prince, Haiti
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Santiago, Dominican Republic