visa/check cards in the DR

yankeefan

Sep 30, 2005
I am planning a trip to the northern coast in 2 weeks, just was wondering if a visa/check card is accepted there. Also how the mac machines work, and what the fee is to use them. I really didnt want to travel with alot of cash, so i am planning on using my check card. thanks

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hi there :)

Where in the north coast are you going to?

I went to Punta Cana and Puerto Plata. I used my master card (my debit card) and my Visa credit card and I never had a problem.

I would use my debit card to make withdrawals from the ATM machine.

No problemo. :classic:

yankeefan

Sep 30, 2005
thanks, what was the fee with the atm machine.... ive been to punta cana 3 times this year and now im going to luperon, which is near puerto plata. so you say that the check card works there no problem.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Visa and matercard are accepted in major places but people have recommended that you don't use them because of fraud. Take traveler's cheques (sorry barbie) if you are taking thousands of dollars. Major hotels have safes.

Ask your bank what they will charge you to use your card it depends on what account you have.

What's a mac machine? Can you get big mac's out of them? I've heard of ATM machines.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
yankeefan said:
now im going to luperon, which is near puerto plata. .
I guess everything is relative, but those of us that live in Puerto Plata don't feel that we are near Luperon.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Visa and matercard are accepted in major places but people have recommended that you don't use them because of fraud. Take traveler's cheques (sorry barbie) if you are taking thousands of dollars. Major hotels have safes..
Most of the time people have had problems when they use a machine not located at one of the major banks. Stay away from machines located in stores of freestanding on the street.

Ask your bank what they will charge you to use your card it depends on what account you have.

There may be a charge from the banks on both ends. Your bank at home and the dispensing bank in the DR

What's a mac machine? Can you get big mac's out of them? I've heard of ATM machines.
MAC is a large network of ATM in the US similar to PLUS. Many banks, including Banco Popular machines will work on MAC network.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
yankeefan said:
thanks, what was the fee with the atm machine.... ive been to punta cana 3 times this year and now im going to luperon, which is near puerto plata. so you say that the check card works there no problem.

The fee with the ATM machine depends on what bank you have. So you need to call your bank and ask what fee they will charge.

Also, if you plan to use your debit card and credit card, let your bank know that you will be using them in the Dominican Republic.

Because I was using my credit card in Santiago and my credit card company put a stop to it because of security purposes (the credit card company thought that someone else was using my credit card).

I have never been to Luperon. So I cannot answer that questions (I do not want to give you an answer that might not be true). So hopefully someone can answer that.

But I never had a problem in Puerto Plata and Punta Cana.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
HOWMAR said:
MAC is a large network of ATM in the US similar to PLUS. Many banks, including Banco Popular machines will work on MAC network.

Thank you howmar, I've learnt something new today. ;)