Do You REALLY Know Your Dominican History?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I only have 2 questions for you guys.

Let's talk about a "MOTA". No, not the ex-ball player, Manuel Mota.

Does any of you guys know what a "MOTA" was?

Does any of you guys know of it's value back when it was used?

Btw, I am pretty sure that NALS knows this.

Btw2, I know what it was.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
miguel said:
I only have 2 questions for you guys.Let's talk about a "MOTA". No, not the ex-ball player, Manuel Mota. Does any of you guys know what a "MOTA" was? Does any of you guys know of it's value back when it was used? Btw, I am pretty sure that NALS knows this. Btw2, I know what it was.

A coin worth 1/2 (half) a cent, (or 200th of a peso). Collectors items nowadays.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Si and....

Mirador said:
A coin worth 1/2 (half) a cent, (or 200th of a peso). Collectors items nowadays.
Indeed but in which period (years) was it used in the DR?.

Btw, I know that MOST Dominicans know this, or should know.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Am I missing the point?

Will the knowledge of this MOTA imply/prove something that I'm missing? That's exactly like asking anybody on a South African forum "Do you know what a tikki is/was?" I don't know exactly which years this coin was in circulation in SA, but if I did would it prove anything other than the specific knowledge of that coin and the years during which it was in circulation?? So how's it different, Miguel, for your question?

If your question is specifically to prove/disprove knowledge of the coin you're talking about then please ignore my question to you, but yours is not really a broad history-related question ..... or am I missing the point?

Stay well,
Amy

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ic

amy2761 said:
Will the knowledge of this MOTA imply/prove something that I'm missing? That's exactly like asking anybody on a South African forum "Do you know what a tikki is/was?" I don't know exactly which years this coin was in circulation in SA, but if I did would it prove anything other than the specific knowledge of that coin and the years during which it was in circulation?? So how's it different, Miguel, for your question?

If your question is specifically to prove/disprove knowledge of the coin you're talking about then please ignore my question to you, but yours is not really a broad history-related question ..... or am I missing the point?

Stay well,
Amy
The "MOTA" has a significance in Dominican history.

I just wanted to know if many knew about it's existence.

There alot of myths about a Mota. MANY Dominicans would put a whole around it and wear on a chain because SOME thought that it was a cure for any type of sickness. SOME thought that it would bring good luck.

I know what it is but I do not know when Dominicans started using and stopped using it.

I have seen a Mota. I just don't know much about it. Inquiring mind wants to know.

Now, do you know about it?. Can you tell me more about it?. If not, I will take you up on your offer and ignore your question.

Btw, it's Dominican related. If we can come to this site asking about Mamajuana, I can come to this site asking about something that is in the Dominican history books.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've never seen one and would love to...

All I know is that my grandparents talk about how this or that used to be worth a mota back in the days. They grew up during Trujillo days, so that's when Motas were used. I believe they stopped being used in the late 50's or early 60's.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
miguel said:
The "MOTA" has a significance in Dominican history.

I just wanted to know if many knew about it's existence.

There alot of myths about a Mota. MANY Dominicans would put a whole around it and wear on a chain because SOME thought that it was a cure for any type of sickness. SOME thought that it would bring good luck.

I know what it is but I do not know when Dominicans started using and stopped using it.

I have seen a Mota. I just don't know much about it. Inquiring mind wants to know.

Now, do you know about it?. Can you tell me more about it?. If not, I will take you up on your offer and ignore your question.

Btw, it's Dominican related. If we can come to this site asking about Mamajuana, I can come to this site asking about something that is in the Dominican history books.

No, I don't know anything about it - just ignore me then :ermm: But it is interesting, we have the Tikki (as I have mentioned) which is also sometimes worn on a chain as a good luck charm .....

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. you know you're free to ask about anything you want if it's DR-related, I just was trying to make sure I wasn't missing the point of your post.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok, here it goes!!

suarezn said:
I've never seen one and would love to...

All I know is that my grandparents talk about how this or that used to be worth a mota back in the days. They grew up during Trujillo days, so that's when Motas were used. I believe they stopped being used in the late 50's or early 60's.
I remember being a young lad in the DR, back in the early 70's, and playing "el taquito" and the price was a few Motas. Even thought, back then, they had no monetary value and nobody was accepting them for payments, we played hoping to win them. To me, they looked very funny.

I remember my father had a box full of them. Why, I don't know.

My boyhood friend's father told me that although they were worth 1/2 a cent (chele), that back them 1/2 a chele "went a looooong way".

SOME people say that they are worth a few "greens" right now.

suerezn,

I will call my dad and I will ask him if he still has them. I really don't think so but ie he does, I will ask for a few and I will send you one.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Miguel

Can you describe the mota? What are it's characteristics?
Maybe you can find it on ebay.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
And I was thinking of the mexican version of Mota.

A dominican Mota is from the Trujillo era - that is why in the 70's it had no value.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
miguel said:
suerezn,

I will call my dad and I will ask him if he still has them. I really don't think so but ie he does, I will ask for a few and I will send you one.

That would definitely be awsome...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
I believe!

capodominicano said:
Can you describe the mota? What are it's characteristics?
Maybe you can find it on ebay.
capo, if my memory serves me right, it's a little bigger than a dime but not as thick, it looked like it was smashed a little and then polished, it had a smooth surface (like a "callao"), it had a numeric code and the year that it was made. I don't believe that it had a pic of anything.

Many say that it was from the Trujillo era but others say that it was the Spaniards that brought to the DR. Who's right, I don't know.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
More Mota info.

I just spoke to my mother who is in her late eighties and she tells me the Mota was in use when she was a child. She remembers it being called "una cuartilla" and "medio centavo" also.
My 1/2 cent.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!

2dlight said:
I just spoke to my mother who is in her late eighties and she tells me the Mota was in use when she was a child. She remembers it being called "una cuartilla" and "medio centavo" also.
My 1/2 cent.
True, true, true.....

My father said the same thing. Well, he said that it was called "una cuartilla" and a "medio chele".

My best friend's father thinks that he has one somewhere in his house. If he finds it, I will post a pic or it.

My 4 "motas". Get it?. 4 motas equals 2 cents!. Oh never mind, I am not a funny man!!.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
miguel said:
True, true, true.....

My father said the same thing. Well, he said that it was called "una cuartilla" and a "medio chele".

My best friend's father thinks that he has one somewhere in his house. If he finds it, I will post a pic or it.

My 4 "motas". Get it?. 4 motas equals 2 cents!. Oh never mind, I am not a funny man!!.

'Ats OK, Miguel---

We'll give you an "E" for Effort so you can pass.

Texas Bill

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
This coin dates back to the early 1900's

I'm an old guy(55), and I've never seen a MOTA. I remember my grandmother talking about it (in the mid fifties), but never producing one for us to see.
This coin must surely be worth its weight in gold. If anyone has one in mint condition or close to it , I've be very interested in putting in a bit for it! serious!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
then the 1 peso note

Don Juan said:
I'm an old guy(55), and I've never seen a MOTA. I remember my grandmother talking about it (in the mid fifties), but never producing one for us to see.
This coin must surely be worth its weight in gold. If anyone has one in mint condition or close to it , I've be very interested in putting in a bit for it! serious!!

Now the one I want is the little 1 peso note, much more recent, used up until about 1990. But would like to get my fingers on one.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
You haven't?

Don Juan said:
I lived in the DR until I was about 11 (since 1974) and I used to see motas all the time. As I said before, my dad used to have a whole bunch of them in a box. I remember "borrowing" a few to play "taquito" with my friends, they were the "reward" for the "taquito" winner. LOL.