Nervous about processing time

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
I'm an american just recently married to a dominican....we sent the application in for the 130....I know it can take months for the process to go through...when I went to check the status of our case, it said "this type of application can take up to 999days....this isn't true...isn't it???....when I was checking time lengths before we got married...I figured to several months to one year...somebody please give me encouragement....

cb

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
relax

cbarrin said:
I'm an american just recently married to a dominican....we sent the application in for the 130....I know it can take months for the process to go through...when I went to check the status of our case, it said "this type of application can take up to 999days....this isn't true...isn't it???....when I was checking time lengths before we got married...I figured to several months to one year...somebody please give me encouragement....

cb
several months to a year is accurate, but it can take 999 days if your paper work is not filled out properly and other mistakes that will delay processing.

Quid Pro Quo
So tell us about her, where did you guys meet?
San Andres??

Last edited:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My experience has been...about a year to get through the entire process up to your appointment with the embassy. Then another 8 months approx. to get your appointment. If you pass she gets her visa.

penacolada

Oct 26, 2005
Since this process takes VERY LONG I would suggest that you start the process of applying for a K3/K4 Visa which would help him to get to the USA a little bit faster and one of the requirements for applying is to be the beneficiary of an I-130 got to www.uscis.gov for more information and to downloand forms.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Snuffy said:
My experience has been...about a year to get through the entire process up to your appointment with the embassy. Then another 8 months approx. to get your appointment. If you pass she gets her visa.

that long? i have read it usually takes up to 6 months for fiance visa.

penacolada said:
Since this process takes VERY LONG I would suggest that you start the process of applying for a K3/K4 Visa which would help him to get to the USA a little bit faster and one of the requirements for applying is to be the beneficiary of an I-130 got to www.uscis.gov for more information and to downloand forms.

i have read a k3/k4 visa is more complicated since you're involving 2 countries where as a fiance visa is only about the US. If you fill out the fiance visa correctly, then it should not take that long.

Last edited:

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
cbarrin said:

cb

I'm afraid processing is taking about one full year right now. That could change if the Consulate can get ahead of the backlog, but I don't see it anytime soon.

As for filing the K3, well you might gain 2 or 3 months, but you will have a nightmare of paperwork and forms to do when you get to the US and your significant other will not be able to work right away either. Something to think about.

Read this thread if you want some interesting perspective on the processing of the K visa vs. the CR-1.

http://dominicanstotheusa.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282

-Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
The Game...this person stated that they are married. Therefore they will go through the same process I am going thru. It is not a fiance visa.

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Total time

Does the processing time also include the interview...or will we be waiting a full year just to hear something...then get the interview???? Right now we've submitted the I-130 and waiting

twincactus said:
I'm afraid processing is taking about one full year right now. That could change if the Consulate can get ahead of the backlog, but I don't see it anytime soon.

As for filing the K3, well you might gain 2 or 3 months, but you will have a nightmare of paperwork and forms to do when you get to the US and your significant other will not be able to work right away either. Something to think about.

Read this thread if you want some interesting perspective on the processing of the K visa vs. the CR-1.

http://dominicanstotheusa.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=282

-Tim

--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
cbarrin said:

cb

I am currently going through the same petitioning processes for my husband. My advice is that you visit the forum that TwinCactus suggested, because everyone there is applying for a sweetie and can give you more specific information relating to what is CURRENTLY going on with the immigration processes.

I have found that people who petitioned years ago and even months ago will give you information (though well-intended) that is out of date. Petitions are currently taking over a year from submission to interview. The wait for a consular appointment alone is over a year long right now.

Now your question was about the 999 days. They send you that message becuase they dont want to promise you any specific time due to the volume of petitions that they are processing. You can check current wait times at the USCIS website according the the service center that applies to you. If you are a US Citizen, then I doubt very highly that you will be made to wait 999 days for your approval. More like 2-5 months. But don't quote me because volume varies all the time.

While you are waiting, you can also apply for a K3 (129-F petition) visa for your wife. It is akin to the fiance visa, but is for married couples. In the event that your I-130 petition really does take 999 days, your K3 petition will certainly process within 4 months. You can make both applications at the same time and choose to go with whichever yields you an appointment first. Think of the K3 as insurance against high applicant volume.

Remember that this is a multi-step process: USCIS--->NVC--->Consulate

Good Luck to you.

sarita

May 5, 2005
why does it take so long? uk visas take only a few weeks why is this?do less people apply to go to the uk?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
sarita said:
why does it take so long? uk visas take only a few weeks why is this?do less people apply to go to the uk?

I think this (old) thread is about more long term visit visas or residency visa, not short visit tourist visa. I'm suppose in the UK the touristy visa take just a couple of weeks, not the residency ones, and a tourist short visit visa to the US doesn't take a year (if people get them) right?

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Fiancee visa

You should have filed for the F-129 fiancee visa and married her here in the USA..I did it that way and she was here in 11 weeks...Then I had 90 days to marry her..It is a way of testing you both by the INS to give you the oppertunity to send her back in the event it doesnt work out..4 years now for me and everything is great..The I-130 does take about 15 months..As i brought her daughter her that way after I was sure I wasn't being scammed by her just to get into the US..so I did that in 2003 and 15 months after filing her daughter gat her interview..I would assume you are reading the small print at the bottom of the notice they recieved your application..Relax it wont be 999 days..They just say that as a standard procedure..I know of nobody that waited that long...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
qgrande said:
I think this (old) thread is about more long term visit visas or residency visa, not short visit tourist visa. I'm suppose in the UK the touristy visa take just a couple of weeks, not the residency ones, and a tourist short visit visa to the US doesn't take a year (if people get them) right?
Correct, the tourist visa doesn't take a year to process. It only takes them a few weeks to reject the applicant. :(

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
zak023 said:
You should have filed for the F-129 fiancee visa and married her here in the USA..I did it that way and she was here in 11 weeks...
You completed the whole process in under three months? What INS center did the processing?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
zak023 said:
You should have filed for the F-129 fiancee visa and married her here in the USA..I did it that way and she was here in 11 weeks...Then I had 90 days to marry her..It is a way of testing you both by the INS to give you the oppertunity to send her back in the event it doesnt work out..4 years now for me and everything is great..The I-130 does take about 15 months..As i brought her daughter her that way after I was sure I wasn't being scammed by her just to get into the US..so I did that in 2003 and 15 months after filing her daughter gat her interview..I would assume you are reading the small print at the bottom of the notice they recieved your application..Relax it wont be 999 days..They just say that as a standard procedure..I know of nobody that waited that long...

I think zak023 is saying he did this back in 2003...there was no waiting list for appointments then...right now it's taking bet. 14-16 months to get a fiance visa...the waiting list is appox. 27,000 applicants...

Good luck!

We've been waiting since Aug. 2006...right now #6,*** on the list...

MQ

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Musicqueen said:
I think zak023 is saying he did this back in 2003...there was no waiting list for appointments then...right now it's taking bet. 14-16 months to get a fiance visa...the waiting list is appox. 27,000 applicants...
Back in 2003 the process was still taking a lot longer than 11 weeks, probably closer to 11 months from start to finish.