Important questions that need to be asked

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
After driving around POP and Santiago today, I feel inspired to ask the Dominican people some absolutely important questions that are "begging" to be answered here in the Dominican Republic. I am sure there are alot more....in fact, more than likely enough to fill Roberts "ebook" concept. PLEASE "jump on board" if you have some questions that need answered too.

I will ask the first six that comes to my mind.

#1). Why must you be sitting in the absolute left lane at a traffic light in order to fight against three lanes of traffic to make a right hand turn?

#2). Why must Dominican drivers quickly pass a great number of cars just in order to slow down and park in front of the "lot" of them and totally block traffic.

#3). When you order a sandwich, why do you need to wait 20 minutes before they come and tell you they have no bread?

#4). How is it possible to ever have it happen that you go to buy food at a Dominican Republic KFC, just to find out they "have no chicken" today?

#5). (two part question) a) Why is it that Dominican women feel it very important to first bathe in perfume before coming to Gold's gym for a "workout"? b) Why don't Dominican women ever sweat during their "workout" in Gold's gym?

#6). (two part question) a) Who was it that told Dominican "waiters" that they are only allowed to visit your table 4 times during the course of a meal....First,when you get a menu....2nd,when you order the food....3d, when you get your food...and 4th , when you get your bill...while simultaneously "mouthing" the phrase "a su orden". b) Why do DR waiters expect any tips?

Sep 19, 2005
#1 and #2= remember the rule all is fair in love and war AND driving in the DR..nuff said

#3 dont have an answer..but if you didnt wait youd never know they DIDNT have any bread now would you???

#4what in the world are you doing at a KFC in the DR???

#5 Id rather any woman smell good than the alternative.... and if you arent seeing them sweat your watching the wrong workout!!!!!!!!!

#6... I am stymied here. I guess its better than being told 20 minutes later they dont have what you want........I heard tips are unexpected in the DR. and only leads to dozens of poor hatian kids dragging on your heels, once the word gets out....

I like multiple choice much more... its a lot easier!........next time multiple choice please ha ha ha ha...bob

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
.....more important questions....

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply but I believe you missed my point. I am really not looking for answers that "logically" do not exist here.

Here's two more:

#7). Why is it that the only time that most Dominicans are in a hurry is when they are on the road driving and the rest of the time have no urgency at all (eg. how important is it to just rush home to play dominos and "chismear")?

#8). Why do many Domincans say they do not have money to educate and/or feed their children but ALWAYS have money to drink?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
9. How much did your [insert name of luxury vehicle here] cost and why did that price not include indicator lights?

Sep 19, 2005
I love driving in the DR except for horses that cross the road suddenly!!!!!!!!

its great to just do what you want when you want to it you got the nads to give it a try...cant do that in america without the possiblity of exspensive ramifications....in the DR if you are at the top of the food chain on the road take advantage of it.....ie drive the biggest fastest thing you can, and just stay out of the way of those big trucks.. ha ha ha ha.....
bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I love driving in the DR except for horses that cross the road suddenly!!!!!!!!

its great to just do what you want when you want to it you got the nads to give it a try...cant do that in america without the possiblity of exspensive ramifications....in the DR if you are at the top of the food chain on the road take advantage of it.....ie drive the biggest fastest thing you can, and just stay out of the way of those big trucks.. ha ha ha ha.....
bob

You might feel like you are at the top of the food chain but did you know that if you're in an accident and someone is hurt or worse, you'll be put in jail for your own safety?

May not be expensive ramifications but there are ramifications.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Top of the food chain is actually the motoconcho or moped with the full tank of cooking gas on the back.

Everyone avoids them

Sep 19, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
You might feel like you are at the top of the food chain but did you know that if you're in an accident and someone is hurt or worse, you'll be put in jail for your own safety?

May not be expensive ramifications but there are ramifications.

did I ACTUALLY SAY that I was at the top of the food chain???????? I dont think so..I said thats the place to be... and I also said i like driving there ........hardly have I been able to rent the biggest fastest vehicle available........none the less i dont have a problem saying I pass whenever I can. and from my driving you may not realize I was a tourist... I learned from my dominican friends how to drive aggressively... to give the image that you are intent on taking your lane and keeping it....if you drive timidly in the DR you may end up going backwards......and its basically a tounge in cheek thread as well.....there is supposed to be a little humor in the posts. thats hopefully what keeps it interesting..to hear the little side bar stories some one may come up with....we dont really want to just say and listen to ..its bad its bad its bad blah blah blah.......do WE?????....have good day...bob

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
dms3611 said:
#7). Why is it that the only time that most Dominicans are in a hurry is when they are on the road driving and the rest of the time have no urgency at all.

I find this one to be very interesting. For the most part you know it's not because they are worried that they are late, or running behind. So what's the deal? I don't think this is unique to Dominican's, there is something that happens to people when they get into cars.......also makes people much more aggressive than they are outside their vehicle.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
did I ACTUALLY SAY that I was at the top of the food chain????????

If the YOU in your post didn't mean you personally then the YOU in mine didn't mean YOU personally either/neither.;)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
did I ACTUALLY SAY that I was at the top of the food chain???????? I dont think so..I said thats the place to be... and I also said i like driving there ........hardly have I been able to rent the biggest fastest vehicle available........none the less i dont have a problem saying I pass whenever I can. and from my driving you may not realize I was a tourist... I learned from my dominican friends how to drive aggressively... to give the image that you are intent on taking your lane and keeping it....if you drive timidly in the DR you may end up going backwards......and its basically a tounge in cheek thread as well.....there is supposed to be a little humor in the posts. thats hopefully what keeps it interesting..to hear the little side bar stories some one may come up with....we dont really want to just say and listen to ..its bad its bad its bad blah blah blah.......do WE?????....have good day...bob
But there is no humor in your posts.
The point is, in spite of the norm for Dominican driving, common sense will tell you to act differently. For your own safety, your passengers safety and especially my safety as a pedestrian.
Secondly, a Dominican in an accident means nada. A gringo in an accident means jail and loads of money. If you want to take your chances, be prepared to pay your pesos and call the jailer Papa.
Ignorance is bliss for the Dominicans, but stupidity for the gringos is hell.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I have a coment and a question;

I've noticed that on every Dominican vehicle at least two things work, the horn and the radio.

Has anyone evere riden in a guagua that didn't have a broken windshild? :classic:

Sep 19, 2005
howmar...to you there may be no humor....some people have NO sense of humor....now to keep MORE words from being put into MY mouth...I didnt SAY HOWMAR HAS NO SENSE OF HUMOR...but if the shoe fits go ahead and wear it.....sorry if i stepped on some toe's......or better yet...it is unfortunate that some people have ultra sensitve toes......diablo bob

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I always enjoy my trips to the Dominican Republic.

I have one question--how come there are no street lights (is that what it is called?) for a pedestrian to cross the street?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Potato_Salad said:
I always enjoy my trips to the Dominican Republic.

I have one question--how come there are no street lights (is that what it is called?) for a pedestrian to cross the street?

Simple, because the Dominican Republic ain't Kansas

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
in regards to waiters....

I am continually amazed at how little common sense waiters have. For example, I can sit at a table in a restaurant and be the ONLY CUSTOMER there and ask the waiter for another coke as I am eating. The waiter will say "ahora mismo" and then proceed to do something ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY before bringing my coke (like wipe of a few vacant tables or straighten out some utensils). Then, when he finally decides to go to the counter to get the coke, he will have a conversation with the person behind the counter. What should take 30 seconds, takes 5 or 10 minutes and I am stuck sitting waiting for my coke so I can have it with my meal. This happenes ALL THE TIME.

Same thing with the bill. When someone asks for the bill it means they are READY TO LEAVE. So, BRING THE BILL! You will be lucky if it comes within 10 minutes and frequently, the waiter will begin doing something else (wiping off tables, talking) and you will have to ask twice.

When dealing with foreigners, this no doubt affects their tipping but I think the waiters just dont understand. I think they dont mentally put things in order of importance but instead, just make a mental note that something has to be done. Then when they feel they are ready to do it, they do it. Who the hell knows??

Larry

Last edited:

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
We must be visiting the same restaurants Larry...here's another....

....why do Dominican "constructores" ALWAYS say that they know how to do EVERYTHING, then after you pay them 50% up front you find out they know absolutely nothing.....

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Just thought of another......

.....why is it that Dominicans wear their "all inclusive" bracelets for more than a week after they have left the hotel....and why do they bring so much empty "tupperware" to the AI when they arrive.....?

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Varsity69

Yes we see your link all over and please keep this crap off our board.

Thanks