To anyone who has had a baby recently in DR

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Hey,

I'm outside the country these days... awaiting the birth of my son. Before we come home (when he is 6mts or so) I was wondering if there were any vaccines that he might need, different than those we get in north america, that I should get here before we come... Anyone know?

I tried to find the vaccine "schedule" if you will on the website of the secretaria but of course it was not there...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Just curious

Why don't you go back home to have your baby?
Oops, maybe you are not in the DR? Sorry.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
This is our baby's vaccination card. She's 4 months old. I will not attempt to translate it as I don't even know what these things are in Spanish let alone in English.
vaccinecard.jpg

The one under "Otras Vacunas" reads "Neumococo", it isn't obligatory but reccomended. And very expensive and not covered by neither public nor private health service here.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
tiguerita said:
Hey,

I'm outside the country these days... awaiting the birth of my son. Before we come home (when he is 6mts or so) I was wondering if there were any vaccines that he might need, different than those we get in north america, that I should get here before we come... Anyone know?

I tried to find the vaccine "schedule" if you will on the website of the secretaria but of course it was not there...

Hi there :)

I think it is best to ask your doctor.

And congrats to the upcoming birth of your baby!!! :classic:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I would also determine if vaccines in the DR are available in single dose, thimerosol-free, vials. The US has converted from multidose vials which contains thimerosol which is a mercury based preservative, due to an unproven, yet suspicious link to autism. These single dose vials are more costly and I would suspect may not be used in the DR.

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Eddy said:
Why don't you go back home to have your baby?
Oops, maybe you are not in the DR? Sorry.

It is confusing LOL... I live in the DR most of the time, that is what I mean by coming home when the baby is born and old enough but I am home in Canada right now :)

Tig

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Pib said:
This is our baby's vaccination card. She's 4 months old. I will not attempt to translate it as I don't even know what these things are in Spanish let alone in English.
vaccinecard.jpg

The one under "Otras Vacunas" reads "Neumococo", it isn't obligatory but reccomended. And very expensive and not covered by neither public nor private health service here.

Thank you SO MUCH that's exactly what I was looking for! Congratulations on your baby girl :)

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Thank You

Thank you to everyone for your advice, answers and well wishes!

I got the exact info I was looking for :classic: xoxoxox

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Pib said:
vaccinecard.jpg

I looked some of them up (this is what I found):
BCG: is for tuberculosis
Hep A: Hepatitis A
Hep B: Hepatitis B
DFT: Diptheria, Whooping Cough, Tetanus
Polio: Polio, Juvenile Paralisis
Sarampion: Measles
Triple Viral: Measles, Rubela (German Measles), Mumps
HIB: Anti Haemophilus Influenzae Tipo B (???)
Varicela (Viruela): Chicken Pox
Neumococo: I believe this is a meningitis vaccine from what I found.
Thanks again