Insurance - Car and Health

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi All

I will be moving over to the Dominican Republic in February 2006, living in Puerto Plata.

Can any of you living there recommend any good private healh care insurance companies and advise on annual costs?

I will also be buying a car - so if anyone can recommend a local car insurance company that would be great. I seem to remember reading somewhere that my UK driving licence is only valid for a period of up to 90 days, after which I will need to apply for a dominican driving licence. Can anyone confirm this? Will I have to take a test over there or do I just have to pay the money......and if so, how much?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Daydream.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
daydream said:
Hi All

I will be moving over to the Dominican Republic in February 2006, living in Puerto Plata.

Can any of you living there recommend any good private healh care insurance companies and advise on annual costs?

I will also be buying a car - so if anyone can recommend a local car insurance company that would be great. I seem to remember reading somewhere that my UK driving licence is only valid for a period of up to 90 days, after which I will need to apply for a dominican driving licence. Can anyone confirm this? Will I have to take a test over there or do I just have to pay the money......and if so, how much?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Daydream.
For health insurance, there are many companies available through independant insurance brokers in town. Also there is a classified ad for health insurance posted. Costs are variable by company and coverage. For good coverage figure about 8500 pesos/year per adult. Humano, Popular and Palic are the most common companies. I have ARS Palic, and have been happy with coverage and cost.

As far as a driver's license. I believe you will need a Residencia to apply for a license. If you should have an accident driving an insured car after your foreign license is no longer valid, the insurance company will deny coverage.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Howmar is exactly correct. If I remember correctly you are coming to Puerto Plata. I can give you the name and email of an insurance broker that I work with who speaks English as well. Just PM me.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to apply for my recidency here in London before I come over however they have now changed the rules and I can only apply once I get over there. They have told me that they provide you with a temporary recidency card whilst they process your applicaion - so I presume that I will be able to use this to get car insurance and apply for a dominican licence.

Do you know whether I would have to take a test or just pay them, and if so, how much?

Thank you also for the recommendations on the health insurance - I will look into the companies you mention.

Daydream.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
planner said:
Howmar is exactly correct. If I remember correctly you are coming to Puerto Plata. I can give you the name and email of an insurance broker that I work with who speaks English as well. Just PM me.

Thank you - I have just sent you a PM

DD

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
daydream said:
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know whether I would have to take a test or just pay them, and if so, how much?

Daydream.

You probably have to take the test, given that you Brits drive on the wrong side of the road and all...Just kidding!!!

On a serious note, in The DR they have these driving schools that if you go through them all you have to do is pay the fee. I don't have contact info for any of them right now, but I'm sure you can find them in the yellow pages.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
suarezn said:
You probably have to take the test, given that you Brits drive on the wrong side of the road and all...Just kidding!!!
Actually Brits don't have to take the test, Americans, however, have to. Funny, eh?

Part of the process requires that your consular office validate your home license, which serves to avoid the tests. The American consulate no longer validates American licenses but the British consulate does.