Sending packages

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hello everyone~

Hope all is well. A quick question - what do you believe is the easiest way to receive packages here? I have almost exhausted my stash of goodies I brought with me from the US and want to have my mom send me more. I'm in dire need of Rusk hair products and the good Nivea lotion, not the wacko kind they sell in the stores here.

Help please! What should I tell mum to do?

Thanks,

Sunnie

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
You live in POP right sunnie? Lot's of ex-pats there always traveling back and forth. Maybe if you know someone that is traveling back soon, they can pick up a few things for you. Simple, cost effective and you will be sure to get them.

Just a thought...

Larry

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Larry said:
You live in POP right sunnie? Lot's of ex-pats there always traveling back and forth. Maybe if you know someone that is traveling back soon, they can pick up a few things for you. Simple, cost effective and you will be sure to get them.

Just a thought...

Larry

Thank you Larry. I could kill myself for not asking Tony (Jackquontee) who is in town now. Welcome back Tony!

I didn't realize my stash was getting so low. I swear the climate here causes lotion and hair stuff to evaporate.

But in the event that I can't find someone coming and going soon, is using Fed Ex or DHL a reliable method?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's some info for you sunnie

Snuffy said:
It just sounds to me like you are shipping Puerta a Puerta. Where you are shipping from perhaps they use "crates". In the USA they use boxes and blue plastic drums. You ship a 55 gallon blue plastic drum for $150 to $200 depending on what you are shipping. It is door to door and you do not deal with customs. That is done all the time here. I have shipped several myself. You pay the one time fee and that is all you pay.

For USA I have know all about it and will be happy to explain anything you want to know. Just ask

This is a dominican secret and one they don't like to share. Why I don't know.

The service is called puerta a puerta....door to door. There are several such companies and they operate wherever you find a fair amount of dominicans living in the USA. Of course they are in New York and New Jersey. They are in Washington DC and Boston. They are in Miami and serve the areas around Miami. They may be in other areas. I had to dig dig dig to find the ones in New York and Boston.

You don't even have to be there to take advantage of their services. I bought a fridge online, paid by credit card, had the door to door service pick it up and deliver it to my door here in the DR. They charged me $200 to ship it here. You never see or hear of customs are any other charges. Of course, in dominican style they tried to change the shipping charge to $250 after they picked the item up at the store. But, they backed off eventually. You can ship all kinds of things. Just ask them what they would charge if you shipped this or that.

For shipping in boxes...you pick the boxes up from them. Take them home...load them up....and call them to come pick up. They pick up and charge about $75 per box. For shipping in blue drums you purchase the drum for $20 near the shippers location, fill it up, call the shipper or take it to the shipper. The shipper seals it and charges about $150 to $200 to ship. I shipped a couple drums here full of foods, electronics, clothes, etc. This one shipper allowed me to ship a drum plus a large box for only $175.

Of course...it helps to have a dominican negotiate the exact shipping price. My dominican friends always get better prices.

And now you know the rest of the story..

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi Sunnie

There is a distibutor of Rusk hair products in Santo Domingo.....I know you are based in Puerto Plata but if you knew anyone taking a trip to the capital - perhaps they can pick some stuff up for you?

Dominican Republic back to top
Cabo Verde S.A.
Gustavo Mejia Ricart #106
#106 Edificio Plaza Rosa Local 303B
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Tel 809-562-0490/91
Fax 809-562-0492
Raquel Baquero

Daydream

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Sunnie,
FedEx, DHL, UPS are the fastest and most efficeint with the least hassle. A small care package probably will cost $40-$50 and you'll get it within a week.

Most people who want things on a semi-regular basis use one of the private shippers such as EPS and Business Mail. There is one located directly across from the Brugal factory in POP. You need to set up an account with them, paying a membership fee. They will give you a shipping address in Florida for items being sent to you. Your family ships to Florida by any method, such as regular mail,, UPS, etc. They then forward it to you in POP and you pay by the pound plus any import duty if necessary. Usually there is no duty unless value is over $500, I believe. They are reliable and less costly than FedEx and the others. May take about 10 days to receive the package, usually less.

Larry said:

Just a thought...

Larry
I will be arriving in Sosua on the 21st from NYC if you want some stuff to be brought down send me a pm and I could get it to you in POP or at the dinner on the 24th.
Badpiece