For Those Who Want to Move to the DR

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Hello everybody, hope all is well~

I've been geting a lot of PMs from people who are interested in moving here and a lot of inquiries about life in general down here. I'm definitely no expert when it comes to the topic because there are countless others who have been down here for years and who have a lot more experience and insight when it comes to life in the DR. But seeing as how my fingers are incredibly tired from responding to every PM, I thought I would just jot down a few words and post them for all to see and hopefully that will suffice for now. I swear, I'm getting Carpal Tunnels syndome from all the responses I've given.

I've been down here for mas o menos 5 months after having moved here with no previous visits and no real knowledge of this country. A lot of people I've encountered have exclaimed " Wow! You're incredibly brave!" but I always correct them and say " No, just incredibly stupid". And it was - it was an extremely stupid thing to do and I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. But lucky for me, I think it was the best decision I ever made. I absolutely love it here and still wake up with a huge smile on my face every day. I'm home.

I've made some mistakes here, I think we all do, but with each mistake, I became a little wiser. When I first arrived, I was a bit lonely and became friends with some less than scrupulous people. Nothing bad happened but I quickly learned that association is everything here. I had a sankie friend and a friend who was deported from NYC. At the time, I thought they were nice people and perhaps a bit misunderstood by everyone else. Of course I thought " Oh, I'm sure the're different. And besides, doesn't everyone deserve a second chance?" Wrong, wrong, wrong. Absolute rubbish but it's a mistake I won't be making again. Now, I choose my friends wisely because I know that staying home with a good book is not the end of the world. I don't have the need anymore to be out all the time, those days are out of my system. The first two months here were kind of like a vacation for me and I did a lot of things to excess. Too much drinking, too much smoking, going out every night of the week and so on. And I'm sure Im not the only one who has done that, I'm fairly certain that I have a heck of a lot of colleagues out there. But now that the newness of living in "paradise" has worn off, it's simply a matter of living a normal life. And oh my goodness, do I ever love my life.

Another mistake I made was thinking that I would do okay with sharing a house with roommates. Nope, not for me. That's the fastest way to destroy a friendship, IMO. So if you're thinking of doing that, please be careful. There are a lot of places to live here, you just have to look hard because most rentals are not advertised. Some of the most beautiful apartments I have seen are in buildings that you would never even give a second glance at. They're out there, I promise. You will need to enlist the help of a friend if you don't speak Spanish but finding a place to live is not as daunting as it may seem to you right now.

I was lucky enough to work at a bar in POP for one of the most wonderful people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting (Hi Joanne!) and I believe that my life now would be a lot different if I had never worked there. It is unbelievable how many people I met through my old job and believe me - it's so important to meet people here because at the end of the day, it's all about networking. And not only that - I also made some genuine friends there, people who I hold very close to my heart. I don't have a lot of friends here because I'm so wary of getting hurt or associating with the wrong types but when it comes to close relationships, quantity does not hold a candle to quality.

I've been here for five months and have only been to Playa Dorada two times. I know a lot of the expats absolutely love it and while I think it's a lovely place, it's just not my cup of tea. I don't do many touristy things as a rule of thumb. The way I rationalize it is something along the lines of truly feeling that while I am living here, I need to take advantage of the country, the people and the culture. If and when I return to America to live, I can go to a million places that aren't that much unlike Playa Dorada. I can find a Hemingway's or a Mangu anywhere but I can't find another POP. And again, I really do love this place. I think everyone needs to get out of the resorts and see the country for what it really is. I think it's absolutely breathtaking and I know a lot of other expats share my sentiments.

When I came here, I had a good head on my shoulders when it came to dating. I didn't rush into anything with the first hot guy that I came across. In July, I had a couple of dates with a local guy but I had to end things because there was no way things ever would have worked. I hate to be stereotypical but alas, he was just another guy who didn't have any ambition to speak of and was also uneducated and unmotivated. I could never be with someone who doesn't love life as much as I do.

I have been dating a Dominican for a couple of months now and while we are taking things very slowly, I'm deliriously happy and am finding myself falling a bit more in love every day. I'm the biggest cynic in the world when it comes to dating here so it took me awhile to let down my guard with him. I'm still a pesimist at heart so of course I expect the worse but at the same time, I think that both my guy and I are extremely lucky to have found each other and I truly hope things work out. He works very hard as a police officer, is well educated and also treats me like a queen. I've never asked him for anything but he takes really good care of me and I don't want for anything. I lost my phone, he bought me a new one. I broke my radio, he replaced it with a better one. Even the grumpiest people I know are saying things like "Sunnie honey, hold onto this one, he's a keeper". And I hope he is. I have a good feeling about this one. And I would feel silly if said " Oh - and he always pays when we go out" like it was some wonderful quality. Well duh - that's the way it's supposed to work. I don't give him extra points for always paying because that's what I expect and that's the way it should be. I'm old fashioned about that kind of thing. But I'm not with him for monetary reasons, I'm with him because he's a good man and he has a good heart and I have never been around somebody who can make me laugh so much or who makes me feel so good about life. Most of the time, we just hang out at his place or on the Malecon and talk, tell stories or whatever. A pretty tranquil relationship but that's the way I like it. So for all of you girls who have asked me about dating - I realy don't recommend datng anyone who works in the tourism industry because I've simply heard too many horror stories and tales of woe. If you want to find a good man, they do exist but you have to be selective and you have to demand to be treated like a lady. And the first time a guy asks you out and then asks later if you have any money, give him his walking papers.

My boyfriend speaks no English so I have picked up the language here really, really well. I'm not fluent but I'm on my way. I've tried to spend as much time as possible with non-English speakers and I've found that helps tremendously. If anyone is struggling with the language, I would advise throwing all those " Learn Spanish in 30 Days " books in the garbage, fire the tutor and find some friends who don't know a word of English. It's unbelievable how much I have learned by doing just that.

A lot of people have asked me about finding work and the only thing I can really offer up is that once you are here, the most important thing you can do is network. Get out and meet people and try to spend some time with those who have been here for a long time and have experience and know their way around. When I arrived, I started working at the bar and was able to come in contact with a lot of people who knew so many things that I didn't know. And while I don't work there anymore, I still think it was a great experience and I'm grateful that Joanne took such good care of me while I got on my feet.

Sorry to ramble, hopefully I have addressed all the topics that people have inquired about. Now that I've written this, maybe I will get a reprieve from all the PMs and sore fingers and wrists ;)

Take care and best of luck,

Sunnie

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Sunnie, I am happy to hear you are doing well. It looks like some of those things people told you in the beginning that you seemed to dismiss are finally sinking in. Before, I thought your head was made of cement.

As far as your advice for people looking to learn Spanish. That advice is HORRIBLE! Do NOT throw out the books, CD's and fire the tutor like you say. Learning Spanish strictly on the street like you are will result in you speaking ghetto Spanish. Learn from a tutor and books first...that is the proper way. Then when you hear slang street phrases, you will recognize them as slang...and you will know not to use them in the wrong company.

Otherwise, I am happy to hear you are doing well. See you at Thanksgiving??

Larry

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Hi Sunnie

It is great to read things are working for you :) Now that you have addressed the general stuff of moving here...now you should be prepared for the more specific questions :D

All the best for you

Jess

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Larry said:
As far as your advice for people looking to learn Spanish. That advice is HORRIBLE! Do NOT throw out the books, CD's and fire the tutor like you say. Learning Spanish strictly on the street like you are will result in you speaking ghetto Spanish. Learn from a tutor and books first...that is the proper way. Then when you hear slang street phrases, you will recognize them as slang...and you will know not to use them in the wrong company.

Larry
That was my mistake, learning street spanish.
I had people accuse me of sounding like a Dominican and not using proper spanish. Also, many Dominicans will understand what you are trying to say and just continue with the conversation with out correcting you.

oh Sunnie, I hope more posters read about your experiences before making that leap.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Ricardo900 said:
That was my mistake, learning street spanish.
I had people accuse me of sounding like a Dominican and not using proper spanish. Also, many Dominicans will understand what you are trying to say and just continue with the conversation with out correcting you.

oh Sunnie, I hope more posters read about your experiences before making that leap.

Okay, let me clarify a bit. I don't mean street spanish, like the kind you would learn from the motoconcho guys. I should have explained a bit more and said that it's best to spend time with people who speak properly. I didn't mean that I would recommend learning from people who use bad words and slang. Unfortunately, you will probably learn all of that before you learn anything else. It's almost inevitable because so many people here speak poorly in comparison to textbook standards and a great deal of the language is innudated with slang.

Find intelligent friends who know how to speak properly and you will learn very, very fast. But keep in mind that most people here don't speak textbook Castillan spanish so you will also have to adapt to that a bit. Sometimes when I speak the way I tought myself from all of those books, the Dominicans don't understand me. I tried to show off to Dr. Mejia at the clinic after I learned some stuff out of a book and he laughed at me. Or maybe he was laughing at me because I'm funny looking. Hmmm ...

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
Larry said:

Larry

When and where? There are a gazillion Thanksgiving dinners! I'll probably end up having two or three dinners that day because there are so many choices!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
People don't understand gringo spanish beause the gringos have no clue how to pronounce anything other than english. Funny dominicans understand very well spain spanish.

clara

Jan 6, 2005
Sunnie:

Curious as to what work you have found since leaving the bar? Glad to hear that you are so happy.

Clara

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is my take on living in DR.
Don't bother moving to the coastal cities, they are for old retired gringos who never want to learn any spanish or want to know about dominicans in general.
Don't even bother taking advise from foreigners in bars who try to help you set up business in coastal cities. They are all broke and want to suck off blood from fresh meat like yourself.
Don't even bother making friends with dominicans in coastal cities ex: puerto plata, sosua, cabarete etc. they are all leeches, low life un-educated poor street thugs.
Do not open up a business in sosua, puerto plata etc, you will certainly fail if you open up a business like simple bar, restaurant or a beach store.

All in all, if you want to move to this island for beach and relaxation then do move to coastal areas if you are old, its a huge nursing home type city, you will fit in fine. But dominican republic doesn't need any residents, we need more tourists who come here spend the money, marry a cheap uneducated dominican and leave. Oh please, do send money here via western union.
AZB

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
clara said:
Sunnie:

Curious as to what work you have found since leaving the bar? Glad to hear that you are so happy.

Clara

I'm doing inbound customer service in a nice air conditioned office, it's wonderful. I'm working on my computer, taking calls and inputting information. It's a nice change of pace for me and I'm very happy to be here!

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
AZB said:
Don't even bother taking advise from foreigners in bars who try to help you set up business in coastal cities. They are all broke and want to suck off blood from fresh meat like yourself.
AZB

Right you are, my friend. Somebody made a good point to me a while back - a Dominican will rip you off for 100 pesos but a foreigner will rip you off for 10,000 dollars. My only truly horrible experience here involved a foreign girl.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nice!

It's nice to know that you are "coming to your senses".

After coming out swinging when many tried to help you (carina, planner and others), even if you don't acknowledge it, I knew that deep down you were listening.

You still have ALOT to know but you are on the right path.

Good luck and don't cut yourself short.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
WTF SUNNIE !!!

Now where am I gonna go with you know who and listen to you know who bitch about you know who ..... (confusing?) while drinking beer !! .... and you telling you know who to smarten the fcuk up, while i drink !!!!!

Errr... Sunnie !!!!

Where u working now ...... I can't go back to Sam's now ;)

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
No "Grammer Police" Allowed In The "General Stuff Forum"!!!!! Cris Colon

Last edited by a moderator:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Are you kidding me!

la_barbie said:
miguel said:
You still have ALOT to know but you are on the right path.

A lot is 2 words, sorry one of those things that bugs me ...
After you wrote what you wrote on your previous post, are you sure you want to correct my spelling?. Example "gonna", "i" instead of "I", "Where u" instead of "Where are you". Just 3 of those things that bugs me too.

Now, let's go back to the topic if you don't mind!!.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Sunnie,, please! answer some real questions for me..

I have two cousin that are police officers in the island and they tell me they don't get paid no more then 1200 pesos a month..and that's after being there for six yrs or more, so where is your prince charming getting all this $$ from to wine and dine you?

second how much are you geting paid an hour at this...job you have?

but sunnie,, really now.. about your networking theory:ermm: in the D.R. is concerned..it's not so much about network..it's about your networth$$ that attracts people there to you! the best succesful way to live in D.R. is you better have some cha ching$$ in your bank account...sorry sunnie for being such a skeptic but I just can't come to terms with any American making 2 dollars an hours with no house, car, children etc doing the gilligans island thing and saying this will give you long term happiness.....not buying this for one minute...as far as I'm concerned you still haven't come to your senses.

And last but not least...this I will advise to any outsider....if you are going to fall in love in D.R. do not fall in love with police officers, military personel, or goverment officials!:ermm: why you say!!!:surprised because if you get into any trouble such as spousal abuse or you **** them off really bad, your life can be a living hell, these men in that island do no wrong, and seldon for any reason will they ever be put to justice if they beat your head in silly:cross-eye ... if you have any disputes with these men no one will come to your defense...now this sunnie should have read in the Dominican manuel book of please don't do's for gringo's on page 2 not that's real!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
daddy1 said:
I have two cousin that are police officers in the island and they tell me they don't get paid no more then 1200 pesos a month..and that's after being there for six yrs or more, so where is your prince charming getting all this $$ from to wine and dine you?

second how much are you geting paid an hour at this...job you have?

but sunnie,, really now.. about your networking theory:ermm: in the D.R. is concerned..it's not so much about network..it's about your networth$$ that attracts people there to you!

I disagree. Networking is everything here. If you dont get in with the right people here, you will get nowhere. As far as what attracts people to you, it depends on what people you are looking to attract. Naturally, anyone interested in your networth has ulterior motives. These are not the kind of people you need to attract. Networking, developing friendships with good people, having a plan AND some money to fall back on are all essential.

Larry