I sat in my seat of the Boeing 767 waiting for

everyone to hurry and stow their carry-ons and grab

a seat so we could start what I was sure to be a

long , uneventful flight home. With the huge

capacity and slow moving people taking their time to

stuff luggage far! too big for the overhead and never

paying much attention to holding up the growing line

behind them, I simply shook my head knowing that

this flight was not starting out very well.

I was anxious to get home to see my loved ones so I

was focused on "my" issues and just felt like

standing up and yelling for some of these clowns to

get their act together. I knew I couldn't say a word

so I just thumbed thru the magazine from the seat

pocket in front of me. You know it's really getting

rough when you resort to the over priced, useless

sky mall crap to break the monotony. With everyone

finally seated, we just sat there with the cabin

door open and no one in any hurry to get us going

although we were well past the scheduled take off

time.

No wonder the airline industry is in trouble I told

myself. Just then, the attendant came on the

intercom to inform us all that we were being

delayed. The entire plane let out a collective

groan. She resumed s! peaking to say "We are holding

the aircraft for some very special people who are on

their way to the plane and the delay shouldn't be

more than 5 minutes. The word came after waiting six

times as long as we were promised that "I" was

finally going to be on my way home.

Why the hoopla over "these" folks? I was expecting

some celebrity or sport figure to be the reason for

the hold up.........Just get their butts in a seat

and lets hit the gas I thought.

The attendant came back on the speaker to announce

in a loud and excited voice that we were being

joined by several Soldiers returning home

from Afghanistan!!! Just as they walked on board,

the entire plane erupted into applause. The men were

a bit taken by surprise by the 340 people cheering

for them as they searched for their seats. They were

having their hands shook and touched by almost

everyone who was within an arm's distance of them as

they passed down the aisle. One elderly woman

kissed the hand of one of the Soldiers as he

passed by her.

The applause, whistles and cheering didn't stop for

a long time. When we were finally airborne, "I" was

not the only civilian checking his conscience as to

the delays in "me" getting home, finding my easy

chair, a cold beverage and the remote in my hand.

These men had done for all of us and I had been

complaining silently about "me" and "my" issues. I

took for granted the everyday freedoms I enjoy and

the conveniences of the Canadian way of life I

took for granted, others paid the price for my

ability to moan and complain about a few minutes

delay to "me" those heroes going home to their loved

ones.

I attempted to get my selfish outlook back in order

and minutes before we landed I suggested to the

attendant that she announce over the speaker a

request for everyone to remain in their seats until

our hero's were allowed to gather their things and

be first off the plane. The cheer! s and applause

continued until the last Soldier stepped off and we

all rose to go about our too often taken for granted

everyday freedoms......... I felt proud of them. I

felt it an honor and a privilege to be among the first to

welcome them home and say Thank You for a job well

done. I vowed that I will never forget that flight

nor the lesson learned.

I can't say it enough, THANK YOU to those Veterans

and active servicemen and women who may read this

and a prayer for those who cannot because they are

no longer with us.

the 11th day the 11th hour

Lest We Forget

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Wow~

That's very touching, thank you for posting that. When my unit arrived back in the states, we had a huge crowd of people who were waiting to greet us and just to say thanks. Apparently, this "gray-haired brigade" routinely does that when units are returning. I have no words to describe how much their simple act of kindness meant to me, and to all of us.

For all you grumpy old vets on this board, and you know who you are, I just wanted to say thanks for your service.

God bless,

Sunnie

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for such a great post.

As I prepare for the word on my husband's second deployment (third since desert storm) to come anytime, it is reassuring when someone comes up to him and thanks him for his service or jusst shakes his hand. It reminds both of us that we are not alone and will not be when he is deployed.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Happy veterans day to all who have served our great country, especially my father who faught in the Vietnam war.

Larry

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
A.J. said:
Thanks for such a great post.

As I prepare for the word on my husband's second deployment (third since desert storm) to come anytime, it is reassuring when someone comes up to him and thanks him for his service or jusst shakes his hand. It reminds both of us that we are not alone and will not be when he is deployed.

Wow, three deployments. I always thought that the spouses had the hardest job of all. Do you have a good family support group?

It sounds lke you have a lot of experience with all the things that come along with deloyments but if you have any questions, send me a PM. I have a lot of good resources if you are interested.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
For any who are interested here is a link to a page on the Canadian Army's website. It details the background of a song written by a local blind singer/songwriter named Terry Kelly. The song is called "A Pittance of Time" and is extremely relevant to Remembrance Day / Veteran's Day. On this page you can follow links to the song, the video the words and sheet music, etc.

www.army.gc.ca/chief_land_staff/remembrance/English/Home.asp

The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month is approaching in Nova Scotia (local time 10:39 a.m.) and as the proud son of a Canadian WWII veteran I am preparing to give my "Pittance of Time" for all for which we have to be thankful.

Gregg

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
God Bless our Veterans and all the soldiers that are serving our country right now!

My brother Luis was in the 84th Airborne Infantry a long time ago, and right now my cousin Alice's husband is in Iraq, and my youngest cousin Dorothy is in the Army, going through bootcamp...

GOD BLESS THEM ALL!!! AND BRING THEM BACK SAFE AND SOUND SOON!!!

STOP THIS CRAZY NONSENSE...

MQ

Sep 19, 2005
here here...god bless those souls lost and we pray that the rest will all come home safely. for many of us we have always known the sacrifice our solidiers have given, because we have had loved ones there...but in these last few years it is really nice to see that so many others have realized what our soldiers have done for us......bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Any veterans on board DR1 from the 1965 US invasion of the DR (23 thousand US troops) with an official death toll of 31 U.S. troops and 3,000 Dominicans?

PJ White

Oct 25, 2005
Yes I was there. 1st Sqdn, 17th Cav. 82nd Abn Div. Arrived there on May 1, 1965 and stayed until November. Place looked quite different then, we destroyed just about everything on the west side of the Ozama at the Duarte Bridge. But, after about the first 2 months we went to Boca Chica twice a week for recreation. (Same activities as present day.) There were only about 2 cement buildings on the entire beach, what a change now.
After some 20 years I went back to see what I remembered. Of course the lights still didn't work. After a few more trips I ended up living in Samana and Jarabacoa most of the time between 1993 and 2000.
Presently living in US with great Dominican wife (they're hard to come by) and our kids.
Thank God for the Dominican Intervention. When we came back I was too short to go to Vietnam. Probably the only reason that I'm still here.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Out Of Touch With The World

here, but today, due to the first post, 11/11/11 i was reminded what today is, and when I read it, as a vet , i thank you.
joe

May 12, 2005
God Bless all veterans. Especially those who never returned home and those still in harm's way. To all the veterans here on DR1 and everywhere I say thank you.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
On my return trip from the oil sandbox everyone who sat next to me seemed to more over-joyed than I was. I had been traveling for 30 hours on my way back to NY...I was tired, stinky and not in the best of moods. Still, everyone just ignored the smell, smiled and thanked me. It didn't even matter if they believed in what we were doing or not...

JonyBetty

Oct 14, 2005
Hlywud,

For all of us still over here, thank you so much for the story. I have been doing this for 19 years and it still is the same. I am so proud of the way the civilian world has changed...I can imagine how it may have been for those veterans of other conflicts (ie Vietnam). Each countries military is only as good as those who support them. As a veteran, I am lucky and honored to have all of your support.

Jon

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
Today,the U.S, Military service is not what it used to be. Before serving in the u.s military was " honorable", respecful.

nowadays, if you join the military, in a genuine sentiment of serving, protecting your country, you are seen by the civilians as:

"a dumbarese, a fool

"not intellectually or academically competent"

a " reject" from society, who joined as a " cop out".

This disrespect of honorable servicemembers, specially the infantry, makes me real mad :angry: :angry:

Nowadays, a " college student" is the one that is " the hero". The one " serving" the country.:angry:

Not the military man or woman that is on watch 24/7 so the " college kid hero" sitting on his arse watching his favorite sitcom with his girlfriend, with the pizza box on the floor doesn't get pulvorized by nukes from North korea, China or any other potential threat.

The military is greatly underrated nowadays. Everybody takes their freedom for granted.

JonyBetty

Oct 14, 2005
asopoa,

I am unsure what generation you are speaking of, but I think you are sorely mistaken. The military is honorable today as it has been or should have been in the past. Enlistments are up across the board both enlisted and officers alike since 9/11. True we are in need of more, but this is due to how thin we are spread out over the world. Remember, we are again fighting a two front war in addition to the continued protection of the United States and her interest abroad. In todays military, you will find more troops with college degrees and even advanced degrees. These individuals are not getting out of the service just to chase a corporate dream...NO, they are remaining in the service due to pride of self, comrade, and country. Those of us still in the service are not ashamed of our choices, we embrace it because we protect the very freedom that you and all of "those college kids" breath. Remember the fallen.

Jon

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
JonyBetty said:
asopoa,

I am unsure what generation you are speaking of, but I think you are sorely mistaken. The military is honorable today as it has been or should have been in the past. Enlistments are up across the board both enlisted and officers alike since 9/11. True we are in need of more, but this is due to how thin we are spread out over the world. Remember, we are again fighting a two front war in addition to the continued protection of the United States and her interest abroad. In todays military, you will find more troops with college degrees and even advanced degrees. These individuals are not getting out of the service just to chase a corporate dream...NO, they are remaining in the service due to pride of self, comrade, and country. Those of us still in the service are not ashamed of our choices, we embrace it because we protect the very freedom that you and all of "those college kids" breath. Remember the fallen.

Jon

Jonybetty, I'm talking about post-vietnam war situation. I know because I've experienced it myself. I left the U.S.M.C a while back already.

Those f*kers college kids good for nothing, they actually think they are better than Marines or any other
Military !! can you believe that?

They think that " they know it all".
I mean, I'm against the war, I don't like Bush, etc. But these f*kers even go beyond that, they denigrate Military service.